Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Protest against Barber

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Second that....will these kids never learn...

Just a reminder that from memory, Junior is/was a member of our armed forces and I believe he has done tours of duty in both N.Ireland and Afghanistan on our behalf.

Whilst I don't agree with his opening post, it has certainly provoked a far better, more realistic and reasoned response than most threads on this forum, which is rapidly descending into a forum for the discontent, Palace WUMS, general mayhem and mis-information.

NSC used to be a forum with a mixed bag of opinions, humour...the odd tantrum.....and frequent interesting items.

Sadly, it is now veering towards creating more harm to the Albion than good.

As regards action for the ever increasing costs of following our club.........without a 'national' protest from all fans re; players exhorbitant fees and salaries.......I believe there is very little can be done.

FANS United....????????????

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
The idea of protesting barber is silly, but there are clearly many people unhappy about many different things. For me, i can understand plenty of the new price structures, i just hope he's got his sums right. But i'm disgusted by the membership scheme, which disenfranchises supporters like me unless we pay a fee. Season ticket holders get the best seats at a discount, non-sth are forced to pay a premium to access the best of the rest, or even to get a seat at all. Its just fleecing a minority knowing that the majority are unaffected and thus won't care about the lack of fairness. Makes one feel like invoking godwin's law....

The idea of protesting barber is silly, but there are clearly many people unhappy about many different things. For me, i can understand plenty of the new price structures, i just hope he's got his sums right. But i'm disgusted by the membership scheme, which disenfranchises supporters like me unless we pay a fee. Season ticket holders get the best seats at a discount, non-sth are forced to pay a premium to access the best of the rest, or even to get a seat at all. Its just fleecing a minority knowing that the majority are unaffected and thus won't care about the lack of fairness. Makes one feel like invoking godwin's law....

P B NOT ALL BAD,SORTED SOME ALBION BITS FOR MY SON TO HAND OUT ON HIS BORNEO TRIP:clap2:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I got the impression from the constant "Barber OUT" comments on here that he was universally disliked.

No, he is disliked by those who post about him being disliked. The thoughts of the rest of this fine community are unknown.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
Just give the bloke a break FFS, he is doing his job.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
So I conclude that most people think it's a good idea. I'll nip down to London Road and get some bed sheets and paint.

Does anyone want to give me a hand getting the banners on and off the park and ride bus for the Newport County game?

Seagulls Downunder

Mar 3, 2008
Sydney
When some of the supporters club met up with Tony Bloom in Melbourne 2 years ago one of the things he said was that the club has to stand on it's own feet at some point and become financially viable.
This is the job Barber has been brought in for, would fans be saying the same if Martin Perry was going about it the same way or is it just that he's still seen as an outsider by some because he wasn't about in the Withdean days.

Kosmonaut

Proud Hoveonian
Feb 10, 2013
Hove
What do you expect Barber to do? Bloom wants us in the prem and we NEED to increase revenue and reduce our losses, given this Barber simply cannot unilaterally lower player wages and transfer fees whilst remaining competitive at the targeted level, the only other choice is to cut costs and increase prices elsewhere. Therefore protesting against Barber is utterly pointless - you should either protest against Bloom demanding we not target such a high level of competition, or protest against the football league authorities for not stamping down on wages/fees over all of England in general.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
So I conclude that most people think it's a good idea. I'll nip down to London Road and get some bed sheets and paint.

Does anyone want to give me a hand getting the banners on and off the park and ride bus for the Newport County game?

I'll pop down to laugh and point if you like.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
What do you expect Barber to do? Bloom wants us in the prem and we NEED to increase revenue and reduce our losses, given this Barber simply cannot unilaterally lower player wages and transfer fees whilst remaining competitive at the targeted level, the only other choice is to cut costs and increase prices elsewhere. Therefore protesting against Barber is utterly pointless - you should either protest against Bloom demanding we not target such a high level of competition, or protest against the football league authorities for not stamping down on wages/fees over all of England in general.

How dare you let the sensible facts get in the way of a good old fashioned witch hunt!!!

40_450xNULL.jpg

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

"£4 surcharge to bring that on the bus, mate".

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
In what way? FFP is there to try to force clubs to live within their means. This is what Brighton are trying to do.
QPR gambled to stay in the Prem and lost. I would rather be in our financial position than theirs at the moment.

If we'd have won the play-offs there would've been a £60m pay-off. Bringing in players on high wages to get that was a risk that the club thought was worth it. As it happens we didn't, and didn't get £60m to cover the costs and avoid FFP.

Just because QPR are in a worse position financially it doesn't mean that our current set-up is perfect. We're running at an £8m a year loss. Anyone who thinks this is because of subsidised transport, or having pies that are too cheap is kidding themselves. It's because we're paying too much money for players, to players and to agents. The reason we're doing this is to try to get to the Premier League. It's a gamble. And it's unsustainable. FFP is supposed to make clubs live within their means (and may work in the long term, but we'll find out in 20 years), but is having the effect of clubs trying to increase their means, not reduce their living costs.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne

Might be waiting a while for that !!

Barber is doing his job - simple as that. We arent little old Brighton no more, we are one of the big clubs in this league with one of the biggest fan bases in the country !! We are losing Millions so something has to be done and if the losses drop significantly next year, then its certainly a job well done. You look at all these clubs in financial difficulty - we dont want to be them and we certainly dont want to be Palace with their 2 administrations !!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Stupid thread.

Paul Barber is employed to do a job that few will like. He is very hands on with the fans and will happily interact. Without going into personal details he has come across very approachable and kind and helpful beyond his specific job role.

I'm not sure why it is fashionable to dislike him.

Protesting against Barber is effectively protesting against Bloom. He is the hatchet man for Bloom working within the remit that was agreed upon when he took on the job.

I wasn't going to go through the whole thread, but these two posts sum up what I was going to write, so it's saved me even more time.

Thanks.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
There are times when getting the old bedsheets out and the spare paint from the garage and protesting outside the ground is warranted, god knows we've done that before and it has made a difference.

However, this is not one of those times.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here