Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This thread has to be a poor wind up

"Does he attend games?" has to be the clincher, almost Archeresque :lolol:

FOOTSKI

Sep 30, 2010
Kent
I think Barber has done his job so far very well, yes i know the club feels abit like the" fan/club love in" has faded, but this club is trying to become a big club in an already very good league. It costs money, lots of it and we all have our bit to pay.

I am not saying that i could afford to keep going if we ever went to prem costs like chelsea, but i do understand that Barber is doing something that all clubs have to do and we will have to take it.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Not really.0, I don't follow things that closely. I form most of my opinions based on stuff I see on here and there has been loads of anti-Barber stuff.

I must confess that in the past I've rather struggled with your banality; thank you for providing the reason why your posts are so poor.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Is part of the FFP remit to stop clubs gambling on getting to the Premier League? And is that not what Brighton are currently doing?

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Does anybody think some sort of protest should be organised against Paul Barber for home games this coming season?

The guy is getting out of control and doing his best to ruin this club.

He has a history of rolling up, pissing everybody off and then dissapearing leaving a lot of discontent behind him.

Does he attend games? Perhaps he could be hounded from the directors box? Massive banners? Pitch invasion etc etc.

Thoughts?

Try not to have them again.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
He is not ruining the club, he is doing the opposite by attempting to make the club financially sustainable. However, he is getting near to making the cost and experience of regularly attending the Amex, unsustainable for a lot of fans, and that will challenge the club's ability to manage within the limits of FFP etc.

Full houses, good sponsors and losing 8 million shows how difficult it is to run a football club and this is the championship, if we want to go to the prem and stay there it is worse, i know you get a lot more money but it is very precarious, and we cant really expand the amex
That is why so many fans who used to go now dont or only now and again, the majority of people in the seats have money and fortunatly there are plenty of people who support or live in and around brighton who have a lot of money, it is a very affluent catchment area, and Barber knows it

el punal

Does anybody think some sort of protest should be organised against Paul Barber for home games this coming season?

The guy is getting out of control and doing his best to ruin this club.

He has a history of rolling up, pissing everybody off and then dissapearing leaving a lot of discontent behind him.

Does he attend games? Perhaps he could be hounded from the directors box? Massive banners? Pitch invasion etc etc.

Thoughts?

Go home, think again and then come up with something that's sensible and constructive.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Full houses, good sponsors and losing 8 million shows how difficult it is to run a football club and this is the championship, if we want to go to the prem and stay there it is worse, i know you get a lot more money but it is very precarious, and we cant really expand the amex
That is why so many fans who used to go now dont or only now and again, the majority of people in the seats have money and fortunatly there are plenty of people who support or live in and around brighton who have a lot of money, it is a very affluent catchment area, and Barber knows it

It shows how difficult is is to run a club using the current model. FFP is an attempt (albeit seemingly misdirected) to change the model. We gambled on the PL and lost 2 seasons in a row, hence the overspend on players and wages. It looks like we're gambling again and the fans will cop any loses.

If the club had consolidated, planned to spend 3-5 seasons in the Championship with FFP and spent accordingly we wouldn't be having these conversations. There might've been the "but why aren't we pushing for promotion" complaints, but that could've been cut down quickly with the traditional picture of Gillingham and Withdean. Somehow the club has convinced the fans we're in a much better position than we actually are, and hopes and expectations have been raised accordingly, and it's going to be very difficult to keep a full stadium if expectations aren't being matched.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
It shows how difficult is is to run a club using the current model. FFP is an attempt (albeit seemingly misdirected) to change the model. We gambled on the PL and lost 2 seasons in a row, hence the overspend on players and wages. It looks like we're gambling again and the fans will cop any loses.

If the club had consolidated, planned to spend 3-5 seasons in the Championship with FFP and spent accordingly we wouldn't be having these conversations. There might've been the "but why aren't we pushing for promotion" complaints, but that could've been cut down quickly with the traditional picture of Gillingham and Withdean. Somehow the club has convinced the fans we're in a much better position than we actually are, and hopes and expectations have been raised accordingly, and it's going to be very difficult to keep a full stadium if expectations aren't being matched.
So two years have passed on a 5 year plan.....your point is....

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

We and all other clubs in the Championship are going to be caught in this trap from now on, with players' salaries seemingly sustained at an artificially high level.

For us the only time we'll be able to loosen the grip a little will be once the Academy is up and running and regularly producing 1st team players on lower wages, and also selling some of them on for big money. Otherwise, we're constantly having to purchase that same talent, and pay the inflated wages for the right.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I have met Mr Barber a couple of times and found him to be very approachable and helpful. He has obviously been bought in to do a very difficult job which, in reducing costs, will always impact on supporters. I have no doubt that if he left, someone else would have to be appointed to do exactly the same job. Also, including pitch invasion in your suggested actions is stupid and would only result in fines etc for the club which would involved my cost reduction.
This is why, whilst sceptical, I think he's probably worth being given the benefit of the doubt.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
So two years have passed on a 5 year plan.....your point is....

I don't think the club had, or has a 5 year plan. I believe they had a 2-year plan of get into the PL before FFP kicks in. I have no evidence to support this feeling, and it's my personal view.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I would happily protest against a protest against PB if that helps.

Actually I wouldn't - as it wopuld only serve to draw attention to the 3 or 4 people in the original protest.

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
great thread Junior. you light the blue touch paper then lie low for a bit of :fishing:

Bravo Zulu m8

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Is part of the FFP remit to stop clubs gambling on getting to the Premier League? And is that not what Brighton are currently doing?

In what way? FFP is there to try to force clubs to live within their means. This is what Brighton are trying to do.
QPR gambled to stay in the Prem and lost. I would rather be in our financial position than theirs at the moment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here