Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pressure getting to Gus?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Well I'm very interested in how he does and I think quite a few of us are

Agree ... he has definitely polarised the views of fans:-

Great Manager! - took us from bottom of L1 to a near Prem team and consolidated our position as a Championship force

Total ****! - Did well in L1, then used the Amex and investment in team to ride the wave and further his own ambitions and "feck the club"

In that respect I'd agree most are pretty interested in seeing how he does

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Agree ... he has definitely polarised views of fans:-

Great Manager! - took us from bottom of L1 to a near Prem team and consolidated our position as a Championship force

Total ****! - Did well in L1, then used the Amex and investment in team to ride the wave and further his own ambitions and "feck the club"

In that respect I'd agree most are pretty interested in seeing how he does

Yep hard to ignore especially with him always broadcasting his interest in Ulloa and Bridcutt.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
He is gone but will NEVER be forgotten nor should he for the lift that he gave us on the field and as a club in general.

this is true maybe forgotten was the wrong word, and it does interest me how he is doing but every time we have a thread about him the haters appear it does make me wonder if we can't weave a word ot two in about Murray while we are at it.
they are in the past second best manager and maybe second best goal scorer, remembered with fondness for what they did for our club, along with Mullers and Wardy.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Can't see him getting much cash after DiCanios splash out in the summer, they will be careful as relegation is beckoning

Why do you think he`s after Bridcutt and probably Ulloa as well? he knows our directorate will let them go for peanuts so long as they make a couple of bob profit,they have a very short sighted mentality and lack of ambition despite what we read in the Argus.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Why do you think he`s after Bridcutt and probably Ulloa as well? he knows our directorate will let them go for peanuts so long as they make a couple of bob profit,they have a very short sighted mentality and lack of ambition despite what we read in the Argus.
I would imagine the pair would cost some where between 8-10 million based on bids already turned down, hardly peanuts.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
He did, by his own admission, do his research on Sunderland during their poor start to the season. Begs the question, did he jump too quickly into the first job that became available?

Maybe it's just me but this sounds like he's not accepting much of the responsibility for their recent performances?

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/25291907

How is

"My job - I'm a head coach, I coach, I convince players what is the best way to play football," said Poyet.

"It's going to be like a hammer in your head constantly. Now if we can get it before Saturday, we have a chance. If we don't, it's going to be worse and worse, it's as simple as that."

failing to accept responsibility for recent performances? Sounds quite the opposite to me ???

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
They were two tough fixtures and Sunderland gave them a good go.

Gus is a born winner and bad loser, but this is part of what makes him such a fantastic manager. Sunderland will do well against weaker opposition and I'm sure he will keep them up.

Fantastic is a little over the top. I would reserve that epithet for managers who have won multiple trophies at the highest level. Roy Keane and Paolo Di Canio are born winners and bad losers but it hasn't helped make them good managers.
Gus is now in unfamiliar waters. Managing a top flight team, in a relegation struggle and this will be the acid test of his career thus far. If he can outperform the likes of Pulis ( who is already turning Palace round ) then his stock will rise. At present, I can't see three or more teams that I feel Sunderland will finish above.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
How is

failing to accept responsibility for recent performances? Sounds quite the opposite to me ???

Own goals & players getting cards are down to players, not the manager. It's not Poyet's team yet. Apart from the Southampton impact when he took over, we didn't win many games until January when Gus got replacements in.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
How is

failing to accept responsibility for riecent performances? Sounds quite the opposite to me ???

Not good enough and too easy to play against sounds like he's blaming someone else to me. He sets the team up, they may not be good enough but why would they be too easy to play against? He sets the tactics and needs to encourage rather than publicly slate the team IMO. Be interesting to see if this approach forces the chairman's hand to spend big in January.

I think that he may be feeling he pressure, hence the thread title..

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
their games before the transfer window opens:

hammers A
chelsea H (cup)
norwich H
everton A
cardiff A

Hopefully he will be given no money to spend as looking to get rid off him / teetering on the edge. Unfortunately i can see them beating west ham as they are poor.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
How is

I'd say it absolutely is. What he is saying there is "I'm telling them the right things to do. I keep telling them. If they can't get it, it's not MY fault"

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
this is true maybe forgotten was the wrong word, and it does interest me how he is doing but every time we have a thread about him the haters appear it does make me wonder if we can't weave a word ot two in about Murray while we are at it.
they are in the past second best manager and maybe second best goal scorer, remembered with fondness for what they did for our club, along with Mullers and Wardy.

No way was Murray our second best goal scorer.

As for Sunderland, I can see them staying up. They've not had a game against lower table opposition since Poyet took over have they? Yet they've managed to pick up wins against Newcastle and, more significantly, Man City. You'd expect them to pick up points against Stoke, Palace, Fulham etc. based on that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here