Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pressure getting to Gus?

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
I wouldn't want to be Bridcutt or Ulloa this season.

The teams interested in them may not be in the Premier League next season.
The team they are with have a decent chance of being in the Premier League next season.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

In the unlikely event a top 10 team comes knocking at the door, I think TB has to do the right thing by his players and let them go.

I don't know why, but if Arsenal came in for Ulloa my jaw wouldn't hit the floor as my eyes popped out on storks.
Not that I wouldn't be surprised, just not that surprised.

He played well against them, on arrival in the country.
They don't want to upset Giroud's confidence, with Suarez.
He's £40m cheaper.
& most importantly Bentner is awful and expensive.
I would have hoped that in agreeing the final 'settlement' with Gus, the Albion lawyers would have inserted a 'non poaching clause' to protect the club from Gus coming back for his prize signings?

Aug 23, 2011
I would have hoped that in agreeing the final 'settlement' with Gus, the Albion lawyers would have inserted a 'non poaching clause' to protect the club from Gus coming back for his prize signings?

I wonder how such a clause would stand up in a court of law. I know some contracts (not football) sometimes state that you are unable to work for a rival company which again is dodgy from the eu restraint of trade policy

Aug 23, 2011
It wouldn't.

You couldn't stop one of the players approaching GP - they weren't part of any settlement.

That's what I was thinking plus any contract brighton had with poyet is irrelevant as any players bought would be contracted to Sunderland. The only way I could see it working is in the case of a club taking an employed manager from a club, then the two clubs might have a direct agreement not to buy players but again it's probably more of a gentleman s agreement and every player has their price

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I am sure Bloom is quite happy to play String v Cat with Gus over Bridcutt and I am not too convinced that Bridcutt is as ready to leave as he may have been a couple of months ago. Does he want to play a strict defensive role under Gus fighting relegation, or play with more freedom to express himself and score goals under Oscar? Not forgetting using and being part of a nice new shiny training academy on the South Coast.

The worst scenario is that we get £3m - £5m to spend on one or two players directly on Oscars radar.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Not convinced GP will be chasing Bridcutt, nor Ulloa for that matter, unless he has a very small budget in January.

Our best hope of hanging onto them maybe is if Sunderland do well between now and the New Year encouraging Ellis Short to give GP a big budget to spend.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Our best players aren't going to go straight in and produce the kind of form that will save them from the drop. He might have a go for Bridcutt but he's really got to buy experience given the probability of only having 11 or 12 points at the half way stage. Plus, raiding us for 2-3 players will leave him open for a huge amount of criticism I'd imagine[/

Agree with this.
Seem to remember a certain Peter Suddaby signed in 1979 by a team anchored at the bottom of the old 1st Division.......the rest is history.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Agree with this.
Seem to remember a certain Peter Suddaby signed in 1979 by a team anchored at the bottom of the old 1st Division..........the rest is history!

Ah but what about Ray Clarke, a striker who made a difference?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Our best players aren't going to go straight in and produce the kind of form that will save them from the drop. He might have a go for Bridcutt but he's really got to buy experience given the probability of only having 11 or 12 points at the half way stage. Plus, raiding us for 2-3 players will leave him open for a huge amount of criticism I'd imagine

I agree. If he did go for Liam et al, got them, and it backfired, he would soon be back out of a job.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
It wouldn't.

You couldn't stop one of the players approaching GP - they weren't part of any settlement.

Players can't tout themselves around until they are less than 6 months from the end of their contract. Of course, I'm sure it happens.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Not convinced GP will be chasing Bridcutt, nor Ulloa for that matter, unless he has a very small budget in January.

Our best hope of hanging onto them maybe is if Sunderland do well between now and the New Year encouraging Ellis Short to give GP a big budget to spend.

Not much chance then.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I'd be stunned if Gus wasn't interested in Bridcutt, regardless of Sunderland's predicament. He is comfortably good enough for the Premier League (Gus thought him good enough for Real Madrid ffs!) He would not cost silly money while his contract expires in 2015 and his resale value would adequately compensate any outlay anyway.

That said, I would hate for him to leave in January. I think an Ince/Bridcutt CM pairing could bring his game on another level. It is apparent that he has been encouraged to be more progressive under Oscar (both in pre-season and in the sub appearances) and I believe that as a pair they could rotate who "goes" and who "sits." If Sunderland (or anyone else) do come calling then I really hope that TB is prepared to play hard ball, as hard as that is with FFP.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Only one thing's certain; when Sunderland go down, GP will engineer an exit in order to maintain his 'reputation'. He'll not be fussed. Won't be hanging around on the sunk ship. None of that sappy talk about 'bouncing straight back up'. He'll already have booked his prime spot in the shop window as token Uruguayan pundit at the World Cup. Probably signed the contracts already. There will always be another chairman daft enough to keep him in the manner he absolutely takes for granted.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Only one thing's certain; when Sunderland go down, GP will engineer an exit in order to maintain his 'reputation'.There will always be another chairman daft enough to keep him in the manner he absolutely takes for granted.

Disagree, if he fails at Sunderland he will have to drop a division or go abroad to rebuild his reputation. Given the time he has to get Sunderland out of relegation trouble his stock will take a hammering if he doesn't manage to keep them up. With his oddball way of managing via the media he needs to get his tema to produce on the pitch. He certainly did it here time will tell if he can do it where he wants to be.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I recall very early on in Poyet's tenure at the Albion that Tom Hark Preston Park called it correctly when he predicted that Gus' reign would end up as a massive car crash - although I don't think many predicted it would quite as spectacular a crash as it turned out to be.

Poyet, in a very broad sense, seems to be on o those individuals one encounters occasionally who wants responsibility for everything yet accountability for nothing. Sunderland is his second car crash waiting to happen. Whre he goes after that, who knows? But you can guarantee it won't be his fault...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Disagree, if he fails at Sunderland he will have to drop a division or go abroad to rebuild his reputation. Given the time he has to get Sunderland out of relegation trouble his stock will take a hammering if he doesn't manage to keep them up. With his oddball way of managing via the media he needs to get his tema to produce on the pitch. He certainly did it here time will tell if he can do it where he wants to be.

Go abroad it is then.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I recall very early on in Poyet's tenure at the Albion that Tom Hark Preston Park called it correctly when he predicted that Gus' reign would end up as a massive car crash - although I don't think many predicted it would quite as spectacular a crash as it turned out to be.

Poyet, in a very broad sense, seems to be on o those individuals one encounters occasionally who wants responsibility for everything yet accountability for nothing. Sunderland is his second car crash waiting to happen. Whre he goes after that, who knows? But you can guarantee it won't be his fault...

Spot on Bry :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here