press conference thursday

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
By Robbie Savage

Two years ago, at my lowest ebb on loan at Brighton, I played against Pele.

Well, he was listed in the programme as Jermaine Beckford, but from his swagger on the pitch that Saturday afternoon you'd have thought that he was the legendary Brazilian.

I'm not backward when it comes to being forward but I've never come across such a chirpy character on the field.

Jermaine talked the talk and that day he walked the walk too. He was excellent in a 3-1 win for Leeds and I thought then that he was a player who one day a Premier League team would take a punt on.

Everton did so in the summer but so far it hasn't worked out for Beckford. He's yet to score in the Premier League, has been guilty of a couple of glaring misses and has only a goal in a League Cup rout of Huddersfield to his name.

It might be that Everton's short passing game doesn't suit his defence-splitting style of trying to latch on to a ball over the top, as he did to such devastating effect when Leeds beat Manchester United at Old Trafford. It might be that Jermaine is struggling personally to adjust to a league in which you can only get one chance per game and you are expected to stick it away against quality defenders and keepers.

But whatever is going wrong, it is bound to be affecting that confidence which was brimming over three years ago. And Beckford will be asking himself if, after terrorising the third tier, he really has what it takes to play at this level.

The only way we will know that for sure is if he gets a decent run of 10 to 15 games in which he can come to terms with his new surroundings and hopefully start sticking them away again.

But with Everton struggling, how long can David Moyes afford to keep the faith?

I think fans and pundits constantly underestimate just how important confidence is in football. For me, it's a huge factor.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
This is rather exciting. Look what is, or rather WAS, showing on seagulls.co.uk

jermainebeckfordbrighton.png

PottowSeagull

Mar 20, 2012
I know it is internationals tonight, but anything in the fact CMS has changes is picture to him in a Scotland shirt. He hasn't changed his (creepy for knowing I know) picture for previous internationals...

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I know it is internationals tonight, but anything in the fact CMS has changes is picture to him in a Scotland shirt. He hasn't changed his (creepy for knowing I know) picture for previous internationals...

Perhaps he's signing for Scotland tomorrow? A swap deal seeing Jordan Rhodes coming this way.

You heard it here first.

PottowSeagull

Mar 20, 2012
Would take it seeing Rhode's goal tonight against the imperious footballing institution that is Australia... Googled Beckford only Gus comment on him is, I know him well he is a good lad and a great player, I would still prefer Emile and Owen up front

figgis

Mar 23, 2012
Worthing
Very disappointed if we spank big money on Beckford, really can't see Poyet gambling big on a striker who has proven themself no higher than league one.

damn sight better then barn door billy and vokes. Always thought that he did quite well at everton when he got the chance. I would of thought after last night he would be just the type of player we need. a goal poacher he would work well with CMS.

I hope he comes to the albion would be a great addition to the one striker we have in the squad at the moment.

Coleby1007

Feb 28, 2011
Lancing
This is rather exciting. Look what is, or rather WAS, showing on seagulls.co.uk

jermainebeckfordbrighton.png

That works for anyone pal, Type in Emile Heskey Brighton and see what happens............Unless we are making a double swoop!!!!! :albion2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports