Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

press conference thursday

D

Deleted User X18H

We don't announce signings at press conferences!

Er not quite true . I was there when we did Sam Vokes and also another time Razak and Assulin, although I seem to remember the Man City duo might have been embargoed until later in the day.

PottowSeagull

Mar 20, 2012
Hahaa i wonder if Wiley can score goals!? ???

He doesn't want goals, I am convinced little by little we are seeing Inigo move further up the pitch before he starts up front. Wiley can give some defensive cover or warm the bench, whatever he does I hope it involves Harley being banned from the Amex unless we are 3-0 up with 10 minutes left.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Very disappointed if we spank big money on Beckford, really can't see Poyet gambling big on a striker who has proven themself no higher than league one.

this is the Beckford that played for EVERTON is it

Pintos

Jul 28, 2005
Oxted
I just Googled 'Jermaine Beckford Brighton' and the top result was a link to the Albion website. I've clicked on it but it says 'no result found'. Do you think they have primed it ready for an announcement tomorrow?

I see this too - I think it means the website administrator has/had set up a page for it, possibly in preparation for an 'imminent' transfer. Also could be the dregs of a failed transfer, or maybe they're just a fan like us messing about.

Interestingly works for Emile Heskey too! Doesn't work for anyone else I've tried. Double swoop tomorrow? That might be worth a press conference...

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Blimey Gus and a random player or occasionally Tano, give a press conference every Thursday . Are we going to have this every Wednesday night.

Why not we have put up with your ,look at me, post press conference thread every Thursday

Benjyman1990

Registered Boon.
Jul 31, 2011
North Stand & Worthing
May i point out that Heskey is 34 anyway? I know its not exactly past it these days but i'd much rather bring in a younger option... If we get Beckford ill be happy, BZ ill be even happier.. Lets hope for some movement tomorrow!! Night all

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I see this too - I think it means the website administrator has/had set up a page for it, possibly in preparation for an 'imminent' transfer. Also could be the dregs of a failed transfer, or maybe they're just a fan like us messing about.

Interestingly works for Emile Heskey too! Doesn't work for anyone else I've tried. Double swoop tomorrow? That might be worth a press conference...

It's happened for lots of players over the last few years none of whom have signed for us.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
By Robbie Savage

Two years ago, at my lowest ebb on loan at Brighton, I played against Pele.

Well, he was listed in the programme as Jermaine Beckford, but from his swagger on the pitch that Saturday afternoon you'd have thought that he was the legendary Brazilian.

I'm not backward when it comes to being forward but I've never come across such a chirpy character on the field.

Jermaine talked the talk and that day he walked the walk too. He was excellent in a 3-1 win for Leeds and I thought then that he was a player who one day a Premier League team would take a punt on.

Everton did so in the summer but so far it hasn't worked out for Beckford. He's yet to score in the Premier League, has been guilty of a couple of glaring misses and has only a goal in a League Cup rout of Huddersfield to his name.

It might be that Everton's short passing game doesn't suit his defence-splitting style of trying to latch on to a ball over the top, as he did to such devastating effect when Leeds beat Manchester United at Old Trafford. It might be that Jermaine is struggling personally to adjust to a league in which you can only get one chance per game and you are expected to stick it away against quality defenders and keepers.

But whatever is going wrong, it is bound to be affecting that confidence which was brimming over three years ago. And Beckford will be asking himself if, after terrorising the third tier, he really has what it takes to play at this level.

The only way we will know that for sure is if he gets a decent run of 10 to 15 games in which he can come to terms with his new surroundings and hopefully start sticking them away again.

But with Everton struggling, how long can David Moyes afford to keep the faith?

I think fans and pundits constantly underestimate just how important confidence is in football. For me, it's a huge factor.

Lol...notice the bit about not suiting Evertons short passing game but the defence splitting ball over the top......I'm sure I've heard this before somewhere...hmmmm

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Lol...notice the bit about not suiting Evertons short passing game but the defence splitting ball over the top......I'm sure I've heard this before somewhere...hmmmm
Yeah I'm wondering when Everton ever played a short passing game under Moyes. Must have blinked and missed that. Beckford is a far better technical player than CMS, bigger problem with Moyes is that Beckford isn't exactly a workhorse and that's what he likes. His goalscoring record at Everton was actually pretty respectable anyway. That's what makes me more positive about this signing (if it happens) as his record in this division isn't too hot.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Why do posters keep comparing Sparrow with Dicker or Harley. Crofts is Sparrow's equivalent as we got him to replace Crofts. Now he's back we no longer need Sparrow.

Thought he was Navarro's equivalent? At least Navs got into the team. So Spaz out Navs out Vincelot out Crofts in. If that sounds good to you I'd question your opinion. You line somone up or get somone in and then sell. Only Gus isn't selling he's throwing out! There is a difference. Whatever mate, just agree to differ. It's not for this thread.

If this club has any ambition we have to keep hold of CMS. He is a goal scorer even if it hasn't really happened yet. They are very very expensive.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Berbatov would be a gem signing ............................. Pretty please.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
True or not, it's nice to feel excited at a world of possibility opening up to us. It's said he was lured to Leicester by their potential. Gus is the sort of guy that can turn a bagful of porcupine spunk into a tongue-tickling plate of delightful meringues, so we're in with a chance.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Well I could see Cilla doing a job. Natural replacement for Nooney - wonder where he's off to? And Dame Judi Dench would be quality. Imagine the amount of penalties we'd win with her acting talent. Good old Gus. Always thinks outside the box.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here