[Albion] Premier League 9-10/12/23

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
It really depends what clear and obvious means. Does it mean that
a) the foul by Hughes is easy to see?
b) once you take the time to look closely, it's undeniable that it is a foul by Hughes?

It is a fact that it was a foul. It was an (understandable) error by the ref. Those are facts, so it's not subjective, so from that point of view it is clear and obvious. It's just that it wasn't easy to see on first viewing, so not clear from that point of view.

It's a shame that it's taken so long, but it makes a big difference to the game so it's the sort of thing we want to be right. There are many things wrong with VAR at the moment, but I don't think this is one of them.
I like refs who let things go, who allow strong challenges and don't blow up when people go over easily. A ref can let a game flow like that if he wants, but then VAR can come in and say 'we don't want you reffing like that, that's a foul'. I think that's where the subjectivity comes in, it's not a fact that that's a foul if he is not penalising similar challenges the same way.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
The Lamptey incident for us against Tottenham away a few seasons ago, only time.
Wasnt that situation one where the ref was called to the screen by VAR who thought it was a penalty, but whilst watching the replay the ref spotted a foul on a brighton player in the build-up so rejected the penalty claim.

If I'm right that wasnt really a case of sticking with his original decision

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If that's not a foul by Hughes, it's a handball by the liverpool player and the penalty would/should have been overturned anyway.
Eh? You can't not give a penalty against Liverpool on the basis that Liverpool handballed it. It's simple advantage.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Has there ever been a time when the ref has gone over to the screen and stuck to his original decision?

I can't remember it ever happening.
As well as the spurs incident (I thought it was March, not Lamptey), there was the MArseille game where the ref ruled no penalty, was sent to look at the screen and he ruled we had commited a foul before their player, so still no penalty (but did give a free kick that he hadn't before, but since VAR can't intervene on free kicks, he would have been advising him to look for the penalty).

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Eh? You can't not give a penalty against Liverpool on the basis that Liverpool handballed it. It's simple advantage.
While some may view that as a common sense approach (I wouldn't argue against it) there's no rule that says he has to play the advantage. And if you're a cynic, you might argue that it would be the way the ref would go to protect the big six side.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Wasnt that situation one where the ref was called to the screen by VAR who thought it was a penalty, but whilst watching the replay the ref spotted a foul on a brighton player in the build-up so rejected the penalty claim.

You may be correct, that’s just the only incident I can recall where the referee was sent to the monitor and the outcome/decision wasn’t changed.

Is it just to help the referee retain some type of respect to make it look like he’s made the decision? Why not just tell the referee he’s wrong and skip the referee standing over at a monitor and watching it 20 times in super slow mo, seems like a waste of everyone’s time.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Rio and Crouch have both just said the ref made the right decision.
As well as the spurs incident (I thought it was March, not Lamptey), there was the MArseille game where the ref ruled no penalty, was sent to look at the screen and he ruled we had commited a foul before their player, so still no penalty (but did give a free kick that he hadn't before, but since VAR can't intervene on free kicks, he would have been advising him to look for the penalty).
Trying to be objective about it, if the ref goes to the screen, plays the video several times, and uncovers a mistake that both he and VAR have made, then that's a good thing, no?

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Palace bringing Liverpool down to their level, fair play I suppose, but that half wouldn’t have looked out of place in League 1.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

That was marseille. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67014105

The Tottenham one was Lamptey's goal standing, despite a clear foul by March. https://talksport.com/football/782751/tottenham-referee-brighton-goal-var-penalty/

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
You may be correct, that’s just the only incident I can recall where the referee was sent to the monitor and the outcome/decision wasn’t changed.

Is it just to help the referee retain some type of respect to make it look like he’s made the decision? Why not just tell the referee he’s wrong and skip the referee standing over at a monitor and watching it 20 times in super slow mo, seems like a waste of everyone’s time.
I would have the ref check every penalty decision he gives without chatting to VAR, just as a matter of protocol.

And i would have the VAR people be a completely different group of people to the onfield refs, which should mean they'll be less influenced by their opinion.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009

Trying to be objective about it, if the ref goes to the screen, plays the video several times, and uncovers a mistake that both he and VAR have made, then that's a good thing, no?
For those watching on TV maybe, from the in stadium experience VAR is absolutely dreadful, if we could hear some break down or snippets of discussions about what’s going on it would be useful.

Whether or not it’s the right decision or not, for me I’d say my match day experience has got dramatically worse since VAR was introduced.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

It feels a bit weird if the VAR sees the foul by us he doesn't just stick with the onfield decisioon and let the game play on, but generally no complaints. I was just offering examples of refs not changing their mind when going to the screen, and trying to be clear about the situation becuase he kinda did change his mind in that he gave a free kick he wasn't originally going to give, but didn't change his mind because he kept it as no penalty, so wasn't sure if that would meet the brief.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
For those watching on TV maybe, from the in stadium experience VAR is absolutely dreadful, if we could hear some break down or snippets of discussions about what’s going on it would be useful.

Whether or not it’s the right decision or not, for me I’d say my match day experience has got dramatically worse since VAR was introduced.
but the majority of viewers are no longer in the stadium.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

Yes, fair point.

That raises the question, is the first priority the match day experience, or make the correct decision, i.e follow the rules of the game to the letter? I'm not sure where I stand on that one. I can see both sides.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Yes, fair point.

That raises the question, is the first priority the match day experience, or make the correct decision, i.e follow the rules of the game to the letter? I'm not sure where I stand on that one. I can see both sides.
You say correct decision, but how many times this season have we seen VAR intervene and stil give howler decisions or VAR NOT intervening despite obvious errors.

Dunk handball penalty, Wolves have been fisted several times etc there’s loads of incidents, remember Tottenham last season? We got totally stuffed by VAR that day, that’s kind of my point re: VAR I don’t think there is any less controversy now than their used to be.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
The Lamptey incident for us against Tottenham away a few seasons ago, only time.
I don’t remember the Lamptey incident but didn’t we have a goal upheld after VAR review and ref to the screen at Villa Park? VAR thought March had fouled a Villa player in the build up and sent ref to the screen but ref stuck with his original decision.

Edit - I see the incident is the same but I’ve got the venue and opponents totally wrong. It was a Lamptey goal at Spurs upheld after a screen check for a March foul in build up.

Last edited:

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
You say correct decision, but how many times this season have we seen VAR intervene and stil give howler decisions or VAR NOT intervening despite obvious errors.

Dunk handball penalty, Wolves have been fisted several times etc there’s loads of incidents, remember Tottenham last season? We got totally stuffed by VAR that day, that’s kind of my point re: VAR I don’t think there is any less controversy now than their used to be.
Howler decisions can still be made, but I would have thought there will be fewer of them if both the on-field ref and the VAR look at it and are given the time and space to do so.

I'm writing this just as the ref has stopped the game, after VAR was checking while the game continued, and he's given a penalty.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports