Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League 30/4 - 3/5/21

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Are Leicester going to do an Albion and feck up playing against a lower placed team with 10 men. Really hope not :down:

Personally I hope they do. Leicester are fast becoming my most detested team, Vardy is a snidey little cheat and Vestergaard’s sending off was farcical.

Ps - and despite my location,I am not a SaintsFan.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Come on. Leicester.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Are Leicester going to do an Albion and feck up playing against a lower placed team with 10 men. Really hope not :down:

FFS, looks like that is EXACTLY what is happening.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
TFFT
And **** off stains.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Personally I hope they do. Leicester are fast becoming my most detested team, Vardy is a snidey little cheat and Vestergaard’s sending off was farcical.

Ps - and despite my location,I am not a SaintsFan.

Yeah but your wife is a Saints fan, so you are clearly biased :smile:

Oh and take that 1-1 :lolol:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
...which is stupid because Vestergaard kicked the ball away from Vardy, meaning he couldn't possibly have scored even if he hasn't been tackled. Poor decision in my book.

The tackle was plainly dangerous. Should have been red on those grounds (and would have then been a three game, rather than one game, ban). They got off lightly.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Yeah but your wife is a Saints fan, so you are clearly biased :smile:

Oh and take that 1-1 :lolol:

My wife is a Saints fan, but I have never liked Saints. It goes back to the 60s. I hated Terry Paine - thought he was the dirtiest player ever...... almost.

But it’s mostly about disliking Leicester, their cheating snidey ways and the commentators love for them. Tonight after the sending off they actually said something like “Leicester will be able to pick holes in thes 10 man Southampton team’s defence. Well they didn’t.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
We never catch the teams above us even when they don’t win, the amount of times I have looked at the table with enthusiasm about how many places we can climb and we never ever do.

For the rest of this season I am only interested in those below us. If we overtake someone else it’s a total bonus.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I’m not so sure you can blame the sending off on Vardy

The tackle was plainly dangerous. Should have been red on those grounds (and would have then been a three game, rather than one game, ban). They got off lightly.

Jamie Redknapp and Darren Bent were both clearly of the view that Vardy made the most of it -,he put his foot where Vestergaard was going.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Struggling to see how that is a sending off let alone a foul. Maybe others have seen a different angle.

If a player manages to get the ball with force and studs up I can understand if there is a leg behind. But not in this instance.

If there was a fear of connecting with the player accidently like that after playing the ball, you'd never make a tackle. Hope that is overturned.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Thanks, but i've never heard that one before, but they have just confirmed the red card was for last man denying a goal scoring opertunity

The "last man" rule hasn't existed for years unless they have reintroduced it. It annoys me when they mention it on the radio,

Denying a goal scoring opportunity yes, "last man" no.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Jamie Redknapp and Darren Bent were both clearly of the view that Vardy made the most of it -,he put his foot where Vestergaard was going.

Then they are morons.

Vardy runs completely normally, to the ball. Vestegaard comes in, off the ground, gets a toe to the ball, then plants his full weight on the side of Vardy’s ankle. It’s pretty much the definition of a dangerous tackle, and it’s pure chance that there was no serious injury.

The concept of a player being absolved of any responsibility for the opponent’s safety, so long as they ‘get the ball’, belongs with dinosaurs like Souness. The pundits last night have embarrassed themselves there.

The officials have also got it wrong, by saying the dismissal is for ‘denying the opportunity’. That plays into the hands of the ‘got the ball’ crowd, and opens up an argument. Lucky for the player though, who avoids the correct 3 match ban.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Then they are morons.

Vardy runs completely normally, to the ball. Vestegaard comes in, off the ground, gets a toe to the ball, then plants his full weight on the side of Vardy’s ankle. It’s pretty much the definition of a dangerous tackle, and it’s pure chance that there was no serious injury.

The concept of a player being absolved of any responsibility for the opponent’s safety, so long as they ‘get the ball’, belongs with dinosaurs like Souness. The pundits last night have embarrassed themselves there.

The officials have also got it wrong, by saying the dismissal is for ‘denying the opportunity’. That plays into the hands of the ‘got the ball’ crowd, and opens up an argument. Lucky for the player though, who avoids the correct 3 match ban.

This. Spot on.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Then they are morons.

I also agree

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Then they are morons.

Agreed.

The laws of the game say a direct free kick is awarded if:

A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences against an opponent in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:

charges

jumps at

kicks or attempts to kick

pushes

strikes or attempts to strike (including head-butt)

tackles or challenges

trips or attempts to trip​

If an offence involves contact, it is penalised by a direct free kick.

Careless is when a player shows a lack of attention or consideration when making a challenge or acts without precaution. No disciplinary sanction is needed

Reckless is when a player acts with disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, an opponent and must be cautioned

Using excessive force is when a player exceeds the necessary use of force and/or endangers the safety of an opponent and must be sent off​

A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences:

a handball offence (except for the goalkeeper within their penalty area)

holds an opponent

impedes an opponent with contact

bites or spits at someone

throws an object at the ball, an opponent or a match official, or makes contact with the ball with a held object​

And indirect free kick is award for playing in a dangerous manner with a dangeous manner defined:
Playing in a dangerous manner

Playing in a dangerous manner is any action that, while trying to play the ball, threatens injury to someone (including the player themself) and includes preventing a nearby opponent from playing the ball for fear of injury.

A scissors or bicycle kick is permissible provided that it is not dangerous to an opponent.​

The common underlying theme here is player safety. How much due concern and attention are you giving your opponent when making a challenge. 'Well, he has to follow through, it's the only way he can get the ball' then he shouldn't be challenging for the ball. If the only way you can get that ball is through a challenge that will result in your studs going into your opponents leg, then you shouldn't make the challenge. No one says 'of course he kicked the goalkeepers hands, how else could he win the ball?! We understand that there are situations where a player in possession is protecting the ball and making a good challenge impossible. Yes, "football is a contact sport!" but it isn't a combat sport. The aim is not to assualt your opponent and beat them into submission or knock them out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here