Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League 21-23/1/22

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Same applies to the players no need for celebrations to be DIRECTED at home supporters. Wasn’t just a celebration, Cash was giving it some repeatedly to the fans, so your analogy would be a women in a miniskirt flashing her tits at the fans then being offending they sing get your tits out…

Keep digging.

There’s no excuse for it. None.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Fair play to Gerrard. Quietly eyeballing the Everton fans giving him pelters at half time with the faintest smirk. Well played.

Whilst wearing a miniskirt and flashing his tits at them.

stingray

Jan 23, 2018
Same applies to the players no need for celebrations to be DIRECTED at home supporters. Wasn’t just a celebration, Cash was giving it some repeatedly to the fans, so your analogy would be a women in a miniskirt flashing her tits at the fans then being offending they sing get your tits out…

So your in favour of Palace fans bottling Maupay next time we play are you?

I'm old enough to remember darts flying around terraces. Things are a lot better now, all in all. But the recent return of pelting players has to stop.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

I was enraged a few years back at Robertson for Liverpool who shouted at the family stand to '**** off' right at hordes of small children etc. Very poor behaviour from the player imo but although I was maddened, I shouted back etc etc as many others did. At no point was I tempted to reach for my bottle, complete with bottle top, in order to throw it at him although he was near enough to hit. Had I, I would have expected a lengthy or lifetime ban and rightly so as I would have had NO EXCUSE WHATSOEVER to act that way.

Just because Cash was being a bit of a prick, it doesn't give anyone the right to act violently - remove the pantomime and a lot of football is sanitised further and less worthwhile as a spectacle.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Keep digging.

There’s no excuse for it. None.

No digging. I can hold two contrasting opinions at the same time, something several seem incapable of, maybe it’s too lateral.

1. Absolutely no excuse for violence of bottle throwing and should be subject to full force of law and a ban.

2. Absolutely unnecessary for players to goad and incite opposing fans.

I can hold both those opinions simultaneously.

As for 2. I can quite happily watch players being dicks in front of me as the Chelsea players were Tuesday. But I can’t have a drink with a top on because there will always be 1 **** in 30k who’ll throw something.

So we’ll keep getting more and more draconian rules for the 1 **** in 30k rather than ask 11 players to celebrate a bit more respectfully.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
No digging. I can hold two contrasting opinions at the same time, something several seem incapable of, maybe it’s too lateral.

1. Absolutely no excuse for violence of bottle throwing and should be subject to full force of law and a ban.

As for 2. I can quite happily watch players being dicks in front of me as the Chelsea players were Tuesday. But I can’t have a drink with a top on because there will always be 1 **** in 30k who’ll throw something.

So we’ll keep getting more and more draconian rules for the 1 **** in 30k rather than ask 11 players to celebrate a bit more respectfully.

In that I agree with your point but when has a player actually got injured from a flying bottle? Very very rarely. They are more likely to be injured by thuggish behaviour from their ranks. It is an over-reaction to ban tops.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I was enraged a few years back at Robertson for Liverpool who shouted at the family stand to '**** off' right at hordes of small children etc. Very poor behaviour from the player imo but although I was maddened, I shouted back etc etc as many others did. At no point was I tempted to reach for my bottle, complete with bottle top, in order to throw it at him although he was near enough to hit. Had I, I would have expected a lengthy or lifetime ban and rightly so as I would have had NO EXCUSE WHATSOEVER to act that way.

Just because Cash was being a bit of a prick, it doesn't give anyone the right to act violently - remove the pantomime and a lot of football is sanitised further and less worthwhile as a spectacle.

I never said it did - see above.

But I can’t buy a bottle of pop with a lid for my kid or take a drink in BECAUSE of 1 idiot in 30,000. So we’ll likely have more rules for the 1 in 30,000, but it would also be helpful to suggest players don’t goad/incite fans because for the other 29,999 of us, we can drink a bottle of drink without throwing it - but there’s always 1!!!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
In that I agree with your point but when has a player actually got injured from a flying bottle? Very very rarely. They are more likely to be injured by thuggish behaviour from their ranks. It is an over-reaction to ban tops.

Agree it is an overreaction to ban tops, and cause of many mini waterfalls of pop under the seats in the family stand!!

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking

That’s a good effort at defending the indefensible but I’m not buying. Your first post on this began with the old I’m not condoning but chestnut. Now you might define that as holding two thoughts in your head at the same time, making you sound terribly cerebral and all that. However, I’m pretty sure that to most of us it actually just looks like you condoning violence.

I’ve no issue with players celebrating in front of opposition players. Football is theatre. It’s entertainment. Thankfully most of us are grown up enough to take a little ribbing. Part of what made the Palace game such fun was the “banter” with the away fans. They gave us what for when they took the lead and we gave it right back when we equalised.

Other opinions are available. Good day to you, sir!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
That’s a good effort at defending the indefensible but I’m not buying. Your first post on this began with the old I’m not condoning but chestnut. Now you might define that as holding two thoughts in your head at the same time, making you sound terribly cerebral and all that. However, I’m pretty sure that to most of us it actually just looks like you condoning violence.

I’ve no issue with players celebrating in front of opposition players. Football is theatre. It’s entertainment. Thankfully most of us are grown up enough to take a little ribbing. Part of what made the Palace game such fun was the “banter” with the away fans. They gave us what for when they took the lead and we gave it right back when we equalised.

Other opinions are available. Good day to you, sir!

So we can do away with the bottle top rule, I can take a flask in again, and my son a bottle of water because all is safe as most are grown up enough. Please let Barber know as I’d love to take my own drinks in again.:thumbsup:

It seems you like being treated like the 1 in 30,000. Frankly I don’t. I’d never chuck anything, I don’t even manage a :tosser:….but you and I are lumped in with the 1 idiot who does.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Duncan Ferguson in his smart suit has the look of a alcoholic dad in a Hollywood movie who sorts his life out and returns home to make amends. Or is it just me?

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
So we can do away with the bottle top rule, I can take a flask in again, and my son a bottle of water because all is safe as most are grown up enough. Please let Barber know as I’d love to take my own drinks in again.:thumbsup:

It seems you like being treated like the 1 in 30,000. Frankly I don’t. I’d never chuck anything, I don’t even manage a :tosser:….but you and I are lumped in with the 1 idiot who does.

I can appreciate that it frustrates you, as you’re right that it sticks in the craw to be treated at the same level as the average thug.

But for me? I don’t mind at all. I’m there for the game. Perhaps it’s because I attend gigs a lot and the bottle top rule has been standard at those for years. I just treat the rule as part and parcel of attending the match and shrug it off.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
f65b1e9f14df38f34c63e524586d399c.jpg

(On the pitch.)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here