Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League 1-3-9/23

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
West Ham struggled as they couldn’t play their usual anti football no possession game. Luton are not good but deserved a draw which they would have got if VAR wasn’t useless.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It seems to be entirely random. I don’t think there is actually a rule that anybody bothers with. More like Russian Roulette for players and referees.

The “touches the ball with their hand/arm when it has made their body unnaturally bigger. A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation”.

Gives a free for all for refs and their VAR mates to waste minute after minute micro analysing ball to arm, in a lucky dip. Entire commentary teams certain no pen will be given, then the little dictator dramatically points to the spot in his moment of fame. Players would have to be amputees to possibly avoid some of these harsh calls. Or the lucky dip of a West Ham or Manure player getting away with exactly the same or more blatant.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Can we get a PGMOL apology thread running alongside the Red Card tracker? See who’s the winner at the end of the season?

No doubt there will be some overlaps as well.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The “touches the ball with their hand/arm when it has made their body unnaturally bigger. A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation”.

Gives a free for all for refs and their VAR mates to waste minute after minute micro analysing ball to arm, in a lucky dip. Entire commentary teams certain no pen will be given, then the little dictator dramatically points to the spot in his moment of fame. Players would have to be amputees to possibly avoid some of these harsh calls. Or the lucky dip of a West Ham or Manure player getting away with exactly the same or more blatant.
I’m not sure that makes it any clearer. You seem to be saying the calls are harsh then that they are getting away with stuff. Maybe just me but I’m none the wiser. I’m not going to take seriously the stuff about bias because most football fans claim that and they all can’t be right. I still think it’s a mess that nobody understands.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’m not sure that makes it any clearer. You seem to be saying the calls are harsh then that they are getting away with stuff. Maybe just me but I’m none the wiser. I’m not going to take seriously the stuff about bias because most football fans claim that and they all can’t be right. I still think it’s a mess that nobody understands.

My summary is:
1. Ridiculous pens are being given where the alleged handball was definitely not deliberate (the old rule) and the arm had to be somewhere when the ball hit it.
2. The endless minutes wasted at times on the entire process, altering forever the imperfect game we knew.
3. The new rule was meant to take away the subjectivity of deliberate. But in reality replaced by a new subjectivity and an unconscious bias (if I give this handball against Manure or Spurs, and I’m deemed wrong, all hell will break loose).

AlexBH

Nov 19, 2017
My summary is:
1. Ridiculous pens are being given where the alleged handball was definitely not deliberate (the old rule) and the arm had to be somewhere when the ball hit it.
2. The endless minutes wasted at times on the entire process, altering forever the imperfect game we knew.
3. The new rule was meant to take away the subjectivity of deliberate. But in reality replaced by a new subjectivity and an unconscious bias (if I give this handball against Manure or Spurs, and I’m deemed wrong, all hell will break loose).
Surely these new handball rules make it less subjective not more subjective E.g before you had to question whether there was intent to handle ball, now you have to question whether their hands are away from their body i.E not tucked in and no movement towards the ball. In summary, the JWP incident IS handball as his hands are away from his body and moved towards the ball.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Surely these new handball rules make it less subjective not more subjective E.g before you had to question whether there was intent to handle ball, now you have to question whether their hands are away from their body i.E not tucked in and no movement towards the ball. In summary, the JWP incident IS handball as his hands are away from his body and moved towards the ball.

That was the aim. But imho:

Pens are being unfairly awarded where an arm is in a completely natural place in the fast paced moment in time.

Then the subjective bit. Some are, some aren’t. With an unconscious bias at times in not wanting to unleash a storm of the decision costing a club with media mates.

AlexBH

Nov 19, 2017
That was the aim. But imho:

Pens are being unfairly awarded where an arm is in a completely natural place in the fast paced moment in time.

Then the subjective bit. Some are, some aren’t. With an unconscious bias at times in not wanting to unleash a storm of the decision costing a club with media mates.
I don’t understand why they changed the handball rules as they could always get away with plausible deniability as there was clear subjectivity when interpreting intent. Now that element is removed, it should just be a case of looking at the still images, you don’t even need video replays: either their hands were away from their body or they weren’t. All this has done is raise even more suspicions about bias when very similar incidents are getting different results.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Why have refs stopped adding "proper" injury time since week 2?

Started with 10+ mins injury time now back to 5/6 mins despite goals, subs and timewasting
I called this early on, the day it was announced by Webb. I said for the first two weeks they’d add 9-10 minutes where warranted, but it will stop almost immediately after that.

Exactly the same with the delaying of free kicks and throw ins, kicking the ball away etc.

Refereeing is very poor.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Just seen the incident; shocking - will Luton get an official apology?

Maybe the VAR refs had seen Dunk's penalty, which shouldn't have been awarded for Luton - and decided to 'even it up' for Luton?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The biggie is just about to start…..
Sheff Utd V Everton. Should be great to watch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here