Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet's "brilliant contacts"

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Oh yeah, I forgot you know everything about me and what games I go to. I have

actually f*** it, I can't be bothered. Go boil your head.

Night night everyone.

Life on NSC has improved out of all recognition since I put those 2 spoiled brats on my ignore list.

Give it a try. Its very therapeutic.:thumbsup:

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Also, correct me if I'm wrong here, but is Mr Burns not the twat who spent god knows how long slagging off and laying into SIR Dick Knight for the last few years of his reign? That man achieved more in any week of his time than anyone currently at the club will do if they stay for 20 years. And you're lecturing me about support?

If it's not you, then I apologise, it's a genuine mistake. If it is you you're a hypocritical bellend.
No. I'm the Mr Burns who went for Dick Knight on here big time, when he sacked Dean Wilkins. I'm the Mr Burns who said he had undone a lot of the good work he had done at the club, to bring back his mate as manager, and I'm also the Mr Burns who said it would never suceed.

Micky Adams proved me right, as he was a patethic joke the second time around. Dick Knight was so f***ing stubborn that it took an awful lot to get him to admit he'd f***ed up an sack Adams. If Adams had stayed until the end of the season, we'd have gone down by the start of April.

I don't see how that is hypocritical. Anyone with a ounce of experience would have seen the second coming of Adams was doomed from day WIlkins was stabbed in the back.

So you'll think you'll find I layed into Knight in the last few months of his regin, and I think you'll also that I've been proved right.

But having a go at Poyet because he didn't sign anyone to your liking, sums up what a silly little clueless boy you are.

What do you want to happen? Sack him? Get a campagin going to out Bloom?

What is your point? What is you agenda?

Do you have a f***ing clue what you want?

Now go to bed like a good little chap, and think before you add another post. Preferbly think for about 5 years.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
As for right here, right now, what do I want to happen? I just want us to be more ruthless and move forward more quickly. We have a lot of players who have been here long enough to know they're not good enough and I think now we have some money and a decent name in charge we should be looking to get rid of them. I wouldn't expect Gus to have more than 3 or 4 names on his "must keep list". However, all I hear from him is "Crofts is captain marvel", "Navarro is our key man", "Dicker is amazing", "Elphick is Beckenbaeur". Well, ok, not the last one. And he's given El Abd a new contract - WHY? None of that lot will get us promotion so write them off now. We need lots of new players, yet everything Gus is saying suggests he likes a LOT of this squad, and that concerns me. Basically, if he does, we're not going to be in the championship for at least 2 or 3 years.

some clown from Cambridge

First paragraph: What do you expect him to say? Coming out and criticising them might get us relegated this season. He's trying to keep us up. Crofts has been captain marvel. Your Tommy Fraser analogy has been proved wrong and how many points has he won us this season? Gus has proved us wrong with Navarro, he was right to stick with him. At League One level Dicker is very good yes.

He has also come out and categorically said that the side arent good enough to beat the top 6. His brief is promotion by end of next year. The two dont equate. Therefore he realises we need players. Wait for the summer. This seasons a write off anyway.

Your Holroyd comment is why you are so abused and derided on here. Sensationalised, unsubstantiated bollocks. Always the same, give an extreme opinion so its noticed, someone will reply aggressively, you get all uppity about it. No-one can take you seriously on here anymore.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
As for right here, right now, what do I want to happen? I just want us to be more ruthless and move forward more quickly. We have a lot of players who have been here long enough to know they're not good enough and I think now we have some money and a decent name in charge we should be looking to get rid of them. I wouldn't expect Gus to have more than 3 or 4 names on his "must keep list". However, all I hear from him is "Crofts is captain marvel", "Navarro is our key man", "Dicker is amazing", "Elphick is Beckenbaeur". Well, ok, not the last one. And he's given El Abd a new contract - WHY? None of that lot will get us promotion so write them off now. We need lots of new players, yet everything Gus is saying suggests he likes a LOT of this squad, and that concerns me. Basically, if he does, we're not going to be in the championship for at least 2 or 3 years.

In the short term, his signings have been abysmal and have left us now with the very real threat of going down. I'm not expecting big money top-class players in January, I know that is something you can only do in the summer. But we cannot afford to kick off at Falmer in League 2 - it would be a disaster. And what have we done to prevent the unthinkable? Seb Carole, some clown from Cambridge, a couple of full backs and a very dodgy keeper. I'm not demanding Gus is sacked, you'd have to be a moron to do that. Plus, I'm someone who thinks managerial stability is the number one priority for any club. But my god's honest opinion is that he's giving me a lot of reasons to doubt him and where we're going right now.

Do you know how much money he has been given? Do you have any idea of what restraints he is working under? Do you really think we can attract high quality players on long term contracts (which we would have to have if we paid decent money for them) to a side playing in an athletics stadium at the arse end of League One? No agent in his right mind is going to offer a player the opportunity to possibly be playing in League Two next season.

So realistically, we are stuck with this team and whoever Gus could pull in. So what do you want him to say? "Ah, the midfield in this team is a load of shit, I may aswell play myself"? Cause that'll really boost team spirit. Really mate, what the f*** are you on about.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Adam El-Abd signed for a further 18 months!

despite what poyet says about el abd, i dont think its any coincidence that since he has been injured our goals against record and general defensive performances have improved

he is obviously an ok player to have in the squad as he can cover a number of positions in the event of suspension and injury, but if poyets mandate is to make this club competitive towards the top end of this league, let alone a championship side, then he should not be in a starting line up as he is simply not good enough to be a first choice in any position

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
despite what poyet says about el abd, i dont think its any coincidence that since he has been injured our goals against record and general defensive performances have improved

he is obviously an ok player to have in the squad as he can cover a number of positions in the event of suspension and injury, but if poyets mandate is to make this club competitive towards the top end of this league, let alone a championship side, then he should not be in a starting line up as he is simply not good enough to be a first choice in any position

To be honest, he's more a useful bench player.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
To be honest, he's more a useful bench player.

from the bench, you want either two types of players as a general rule - if you are losing, somebody to come on and change the game in an attacking sense, and el abd is quite clearly as far from a creative player as they come. if you are winning, then you want somebody to come on and close out the game - changing the defence at that point if it has coped well thus far can be akin to suicidal, especially with el abds record of making expensive mistakes, particularly from balls back to the keeper, so he doesnt really fit the bill in that sense

he is good for covering when numbers are thin on the ground or coming off the bench in the event of an injury, but how many sides towards the top of our league would have him as a regular starter? id hazard a guess that it would be pretty close to zero

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
I wasn't slagging those players off. Actually I quite like Dicker. But none are good enough to be in our team if we want to be at the top of this league. Yes, he can't tell the world they're useless, but lavishing heaps of praise on them worries me. That's all, it's just a feeling.

His brief, as you say, is to get us up next season and I just don't see how it's possible. We now have two options - stick with the majority of this squad which has proven it'll get us in a relegation battle, or sign LOADS of new players in the summer who can't possibly gel in time to get us up. I wanted us to sign at least a couple of the key players in this window so that a) we'd stay up and b) they'd be settled in prior to the next bunch of signings in the summer.

As for Holroyd, I'll love it if I'm wrong, but he's 23, been released by Chester, not scored THAT many in the conference and looks about 12. Not sure what he's going to bring to the party if I'm honest.

True dat. Holroyd opinion completely valid, just thought clown was a tad harsh.

Going up next season looks massively unlikely, yes. Poyet's fault? Nah. Transfers in column for the last two seasons looks fairly depressing overall. The need to always to do much business in January shows this.

Key players just arent available in January unless you offer a ludicrous amount, and thats just not going to happen. Recently we've splashed out on Murray and McNulty in January but thats for a fair amount of money. Youre right though, weve given ourselves too much to do in the summer. Not Gus's fault though.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Of course I don't know how much money he's got, but Bloom is the chairman now so we're hardly going to be watching every penny. I would say your argument is blown out of the water by the fact we've signed Glenn and Jimmy Mac in the last two January windows - both when we could have got relegated. They came here and they're two of our best players, so you CAN get quality in in January.

As for what I'd expect Gus to say, well as I've just said I don't expect him to label the midfield anonymous turd (which is the truth). But nor do I expect him to be going ridiculously overboard. It's all ok if in the long term he's planning to dump them all, but the fact he's just given El Abd a new contract suggests he really does believe what he says.

We signed a striker from Rochdale and a left back from Stockport.. These are hardly signings that would indicate we will be going to attempt promotion from League One, and both are very much unproven at Championship level. I must have misunderstood what you were expecting us to sign, because to me I assume a "quality" signing to be of a Puncheon ilk, completely different to the two examples. As far as you know, our signing from Cambridge could turn out to be a similar unproven quality as the two examples you just listed.

Gus Poyet also happens to be one of the best goalscoring midfielders of all time. I'm sure he has a fairly good idea of the players he is working with and I certainly trust him in his ratings of our midfielders. But even taking your view that they are all poor, they are short of confidence. They need a confidence boost. This can be achieved by supporting them and praising them in public. Understand? Indeed, your whole second paragraph is based on your opinion that those players are poor.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
This is my point though. We must have brought 50 players into the club in the last few years and how many class acts have we got? Murray, McNulty, Forster, maybe Bennett. We've wasted a lot of money and, to me at least, the latest signings look like having a pretty low success rate too. Put it like this, I'd be surprised if anyone Gus has signed so far will be a key player next season.

And that, as we've both said now, means we've got far too much to do in the summer. I'd say we'd probably need to sign 7 players - and that's top quality players, not just any old git - in the close season if Bloom's championship demand is to be met.

I disagree, I think Calderon looks excellent at right back.

However I digress. All my arguments against you are debating your initial, rather crude, post. And it is a shame, because when debating with you, you can put forward some respectable, structured arguments. But posts like that really do wind up me and other posters (which I'm sure was one of the reasons you did post it) and they detract from your overall reputation on this board- which I suppose doesn't bother you too much either.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
What a surreal thread, a real NSC classic combination of sage thoughts and utter bollocks - needless to say IMHO.
I for one am still in a state of shock that such a highly regarded and clearly going places coach such as Gus Poyet deigned to take the role in the first place and could not be more excited about the future of the club with him and Tarricco in charge of the team. From what I've read I think he's made some very sound window deals (the 2 extra experienced solid defenders in particular) and I have every faith in his ability to now bring in the loan signing(s) that HE feels are necessaary TO IMPROVE the squad and keep us in this division. If he thinks the current squad can do it as is then that's good enough for me - I'm all in favour of a bit of stability and don't believe you have to buy in each window if there's nothing better and affordable on offer.
As for next season, well I for one can't wait - I'll be over in August for a big holiday and will be hoping to attend a game or two (with or without my family) depending on how late the season starts....
IN GUS I MOST CERTAINLY TRUST, now bring on Orient and the buckle in for Leeds/Norwich/Charlton part 2!

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I wouldn't be able to at the moment because there are not 11 players I would want to take to the field representing me. As such, we would forfeit the game.

:lolol::lolol:
You have excelled yourself this time, oh well FDM has got may be one more season and then he'll be gone (sadly) .... and so (thankfully) will you.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I've just found the following quote from NSC in 1977!

And what have we done to prevent the unthinkable? Tony Towner, some clown striker from Burton Albion, a captain from Port Vale (wherever that is!) a full back called Cattlin who likes to sell ROCK STICKS and a very dodgy keeper who does Groucho Marx impersonations to the North Stand. I'm not demanding Mullery is sacked, you'd have to be a moron to do that. Plus, I'm someone who thinks managerial stability is the number one priority for any club. But my god's honest opinion is that he's giving me a lot of reasons to doubt him and where we're going right now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here