Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet's "brilliant contacts"

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This is f***ing shit. Seriously worried that Gus may in fact be clueless. All our relegation rivals were able to attract players. The results are still dismal and now the transfer window has proved to be totally fruitless.

f***ing joke. Absolute f***ing joke.

(waits 10 seconds for Mr Banana to jump all over this post)

Who did Wycombe, Oldham, Stockport or Tranmere get in that are better than Calderon? We got 4-5 players in, so we did attract players. Not fruitless at all, we just didn't sort one position out of 4. So we got 3/4 positions that we wanted sorted sorted.

Recent league form - L D W W D - hardly dismal at all. Home/Away form doesn't come into it, as we haven't played at home in absolutely ages bar Millwall. It wasn't particularly a "home" performance either, we were probably marginally the better side against a Top 6 team.

Settle down everyone. We've barely been in the relegation positions this season.

We're playing much better football than we were last time this season, and this time last season it took a big losing run to drop us into the mire. I don't see that slump in form coming.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I am sure he does have good contacts within the game, as he seems to be a popular chap. However, that does not guarantee that the teams have the right men we need or that the players are keen to go on loan or that we can afford them or reach an agreeable deal.

Painter and Calderon seem to be improvements on what we had. We needed another striker and Holroyd might be a decent option in place of Forster. Brezovan would appear to be an adequate player to challenge Kuipers for the no. 1 jersey and Carole could make a impact if the coaches can get the best out of him.

Just for the record, are you using this 'decent contacts' to bash Poyet? I don't remember him rocking up and saying he will be able to get anyone in he wanted.

Bingo!*

*Not that a couple of us thinking similarly will stop the inevitable binfest, mind.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Who did Wycombe, Oldham, Stockport or Tranmere get in that are better than Calderon? We got 4-5 players in, so we did attract players. Not fruitless at all, we just didn't sort one position out of 4. So we got 3/4 positions that we wanted sorted sorted.

Recent league form - L D W W D - hardly dismal at all. Home/Away form doesn't come into it, as we haven't played at home in absolutely ages bar Millwall. It wasn't particularly a "home" performance either, we were probably marginally the better side against a Top 6 team.

Settle down everyone. We've barely been in the relegation positions this season.

We're playing much better football than we were last time this season, and this time last season it took a big losing run to drop us into the mire. I don't see that slump in form coming.

Its injuries which will worry me.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
¤DãŃn¥ §êãGüLL¤;3332548 said:
Oh well. Accrington Stanley will be a new ground for me.

Accrington Stanley? Who are they??!

bhadebenhams

Mar 14, 2009
This is a DISGRACE.

Two seasons ago under Dean Wilkins (SIGH......DROOL!!!!) I bought two new shirts, a home one with 'Dixon' on, and an away one with 'McFAUL', and PROUDLY wore them at every match, and now THIS.

I want a refund, but of course won't get one because we all know who stole the Wembley '83 money (I'll give you a clue, LIAR!!!!!!!!!!)

bhadebenhams

Mar 14, 2009

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Our relegation rivals may have been able to attract players, but would those players have improved us? Besides which, we have already signed a handful of players thus far. I really do not understand the levels of criticism aimed at Poyet and/or Bloom. Were our targets available at a price we were willing/able to match? Were the right players available to us? The loan window is there and it is or will be open.
You're probably right. I was just venting spleen because I'm sick to death of being disappointed by the transfer window and I'm gutted we didnt get Monkhouse. Although I think Gus will be the man in the long run, I dont understand how he intends to keep us up without a single left footed midfielder.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
This is a DISGRACE.

Two seasons ago under Dean Wilkins (SIGH......DROOL!!!!) I bought two new shirts, a home one with 'Dixon' on, and an away one with 'McFAUL', and PROUDLY wore them at every match, and now THIS.

I want a refund, but of course won't get one because we all know who stole the Wembley '83 money (I'll give you a clue, LIAR!!!!!!!!!!)

I`d be more worried about the crap that actually play, week in and week out for us NOW rather than 2 players who never actually got in the side anyway. Wilkins knew they were shit even if you are obviously taking the piss out of one of NSC finest posters.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
As pointed out we can still get loans...maybe no one wanted to sign for us permanantly. Probably Kaka and Ronaldo didnt fancy a relegation dogfight at a shit stadium.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008

Exactly some people on here would still not be happy if we were winning 6-0 every week. What would be the point of buying players if they are not going to improve the team. Yes we need a decent left sided mid fielder or winger, but I bet there were not too many of them available at the price we could afford. Before everyone starts calling for the managers head or slagging him off, give him a chance to now look at the loan options. That is were his contacts will help, your contacts are only good when signing players if they are available and most of those available are not wanted by their clubs so probably not up to the job, so why would we want them. Gus probably thinks that he can get a better deal from the loan system the way things stand. In Gus we trust.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
we've lost twice in seven games (one of those was villa), the team are clearly improving from the shambles slade left, davies and mclard have been shipped out, and we've signed 4 new players in the transfer window.

what on earth did you expect from gus after 4 months of his tenure? he's getting the majority of things right, give the bloke a chance.

in gus we trust

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
typical moaning bastards. 4 mths to go but writing off the season already when we're not even in the relegation zone. what were people expecting, Keane and Deco to come in? you the fans make the big issue of a managers "connections" then cry when nothing comes of it. how many years was Knights connection to Arsenal and Liam Brady mentioned and we got one player in those years?

get behind the team, whinging isnt going to help the atmoshpere at Withdean, and thats what needs to be fixed.

RSBLUEANDWHITEARMY

Aug 5, 2009
North Stand
Exactly some people on here would still not be happy if we were winning 6-0 every week. What would be the point of buying players if they are not going to improve the team. Yes we need a decent left sided mid fielder or winger, but I bet there were not too many of them available at the price we could afford. Before everyone starts calling for the managers head or slagging him off, give him a chance to now look at the loan options. That is were his contacts will help, your contacts are only good when signing players if they are available and most of those available are not wanted by their clubs so probably not up to the job, so why would we want them. Gus probably thinks that he can get a better deal from the loan system the way things stand. In Gus we trust.

Couldn't put it better myself :clap:

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
Poyet is an absolute joke as far as I'm concerned in the transfer market. Other aspects of him I like and respect, but so far in terms of players signed he's been a calamity. I'm not sure what's worse - the fact we've hardly signed anyone or that those we have signed are either shite or mediocre. Carole? Someone from Cambridge? El Abd on a new deal? No midfielder at all? The man's a f***ing idiot in that respect, and my prediction for us to go down is looking better than ever.

I'm sure that Gus is gutted that you hold these opinions about him.

I would actually like you to have a go at running this team for a few games just so you can be completely slated by someone just like you who knows nothing about football.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
This board can be bloody stupid at times. We've not panic bought a name. What a disaster. We should have signed an overweight and aging left winger, like Wycombe. We should have signed a defender for a fee from Tottenham, whether he's any good or not like Exeter. We should have spent £32.5million on Robinho right at the last moment because though he's not what our team needs, he'd make an impact and scare everyone.

Give it a rest, it's boring. This is Gus' squad, he'll do what he wants to it. Getting shot of McLeod is a start, and Davies gone for the season is a plus aswell. Two players we didn't need have gone, shame we didn't get rid of a few more who we don't need but nevermind, they'll add competition atleast. Don't ever count out Gary Hart.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Poyet is an absolute joke as far as I'm concerned in the transfer market. Other aspects of him I like and respect, but so far in terms of players signed he's been a calamity. I'm not sure what's worse - the fact we've hardly signed anyone or that those we have signed are either shite or mediocre. Carole? Someone from Cambridge? El Abd on a new deal? No midfielder at all? The man's a f***ing idiot in that respect, and my prediction for us to go down is looking better than ever.

£50 says we don't go down. Put your money where you're considerable mouth is. Also, how does it feel that YET ANOTHER manager seems to rate El-Abd?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
This board can be bloody stupid at times. We've not panic bought a name. What a disaster. We should have signed an overweight and aging left winger, like Wycombe. We should have signed a defender for a fee from Tottenham, whether he's any good or not like Exeter. We should have spent £32.5million on Robinho right at the last moment because though he's not what our team needs, he'd make an impact and scare everyone.

Give it a rest, it's boring. This is Gus' squad, he'll do what he wants to it. Getting shot of McLeod is a start, and Davies gone for the season is a plus aswell. Two players we didn't need have gone, shame we didn't get rid of a few more who we don't need but nevermind, they'll add competition atleast. Don't ever count out Gary Hart.

I agree with much of that, but didn't you decide that Poyet was not the manto take us forward when he signed Brezovan?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here