Poyet Wants To Spend Big on a Striker

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Argus reporting that Gus wants to splash the cash on that elusive goal machine.

ALBION boss Gus Poyet wants the club to spend big in January on the goalscorer he believes could clinch a place in the top six in the Championship.

Poyet is more convinced than ever it could make all the difference to the Seagulls after they failed again to make the most of a glut of chances in Saturday’s 0-0 home draw against Nottingham Forest.

He told The Argus: “It’s getting closer to where it is going to be a big decision for myself, of course with the backing of the club. I would say I am now closer to bringing someone, or a few.

A few??

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
He's right.

The only way to get a proven goalscorer in this division is to spend £5m +.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
And before all the brown-nosing Murray fanboys get on my case - PROVEN should hve been in capitals.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Argus reporting that Gus wants to splash the cash on that elusive goal machine.

ALBION boss Gus Poyet wants the club to spend big in January on the goalscorer he believes could clinch a place in the top six in the Championship.

Poyet is more convinced than ever it could make all the difference to the Seagulls after they failed again to make the most of a glut of chances in Saturday’s 0-0 home draw against Nottingham Forest.

He told The Argus: “It’s getting closer to where it is going to be a big decision for myself, of course with the backing of the club. I would say I am now closer to bringing someone, or a few.

A few??

Wants to needs to are very different to has signed. sorry but will not be holding my breath. Too many times we have seen a transfer window promise but not deliver as its complicated or too expensive etc

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
There are plenty of strikers around who are about the same level as CMS, Barnes, Dobbie, Hoskins and I suspect we could easily pay £5m for one of them. A proven goal machine (or a younger gun with obvious potential to become one) will cost a lot more than that, or demand premier league wages - and therefore favour a move to a premier league club, you'd imagine.

We talk about "the elusive goalscorer" as if it's a person you could go out and sign tomorrow but I can't think who we'd be likely to get that easily. But no doubt Gus will be slagged off when he fails to pull a rabbit out of the hat in the January window.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Perhaps he needs a Jason Roberts kind of player. Too old to run around like a labrador, experienced at the top level, holds the ball up, and tucks away presentable chances once a game.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Perhaps he needs a Jason Roberts kind of player. Too old to run around like a labrador, experienced at the top level, holds the ball up, and tucks away presentable chances once a game.

I think the side would definitely benefit from an older head up front, as you say. I think some of our decision making in the final third can be woeful at times ... a good footballing brain (as we've seen with Bridge, Vicente and Bridcutt) could make all the difference.

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
David McGoldrick might be worth a punt if we can't afford a bigger name. On loan at Coventry from Nottm. F. he's got 15 goals in 19 matches.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I have a horrible feeling that we will have to sell someone to get one.

Please let it not be Bridcutt.

CMS maybe?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
I have a horrible feeling that we will have to sell someone to get one.

Please let it not be Bridcutt.

Well we do have fringe players who could be sold - Matt Sparrow, Ryan Harley maybe Gary Dicker too - that would raise some funds. We do also have a sicknote taking up a chunk of the payroll too, which probably doesnt help.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Whoever it is, let's hope that some serious scouting has been done before the signatures go on a contract.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports