Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet REJECTS offer to quit the Albion

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Why all the hate towards Poyet? How is this his fault and/or problem? Take away your feelings for the club and look at it from a neutral point of view.

The club have been unable to find something on Poyet (as you would imagine by making an offer) that would breach of contract and therefore dismissal. That is the clubs problem and someone, be that bloom, barber, hr or legal has questions to answer. Poyet is well within his rights to say you want rid of me then pay me the correct amount.

If you had a contract which stated that your employer would pay you x amount if they get rid of you (and the same if you quit) then why would you accept y amount when you have (seemingly) done nothing wrong.

Beacause there personal feelings for the guy are ruling there emotional outbursts...i mean are you surprised..its all a bit predictable

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
to say "it was not Poyet that wanted to go" has to be one of the most one-eyed and misinformed statements ever made on here.
The club have respected the law in suspending Poyet rather than throwing bundles of cash at him to let him go. Those who worry about the cost of football should applaud them..

theres been a heck of a lot worse statements (not that i am going to list them) made on NSC..think your over egging it a bit there

Dec 29, 2012
United Kingdom
Total tosh, the biggest **** up the club could have made was to let him carry on with his dictatorship. Poyet is like a spoilt brat, it was always going to end badly.
Sorry kev it he has done nothing wrong apart from mouthing off he has to be paid in full. I thought as the board had suspend him they had a water tight case ,it the argus is correct then it opens up a big can of worms very sad times.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Couple of things. The club have not lifted the suspension and the hearing is monday, that suggests that they may still be a case to answer. Tannohad his lifted if you recall. Additionally who knows what the offer was. Perhaps it was to accept a reduced payment from him for resignation or a couple of monthd salary from us to get it down quickly, who knows. To say the board have been wrong is early since they could have not wanted to have to take this action.

The thing that does really worry me is delay ore season...wtf!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Why all the hate towards Poyet? How is this his fault and/or problem? Take away your feelings for the club and look at it from a neutral point of view.

The club have been unable to find something on Poyet (as you would imagine by making an offer) that would breach of contract and therefore dismissal. That is the clubs problem and someone, be that bloom, barber, hr or legal has questions to answer. Poyet is well within his rights to say you want rid of me then pay me the correct amount.

If you had a contract which stated that your employer would pay you x amount if they get rid of you (and the same if you quit) then why would you accept y amount when you have (seemingly) done nothing wrong.

He may be within his rights but you're conveniently setting aside his very public want-away attitude towards the end of the season. He was agitating to create this situation where his position would become untenable. That's why people are understandably blaming Gus more than the club.

As usual, the truth probably lies somewhere between the two polarised viewpoints. I suspect an agreement will be reached where Gus still receives a handsome pay-off but not the full £2.5m or whatever amount it's now assumed to be.

But surely Gus doesn't hold all the cards? If it's going to cost a fortune to get rid of him anyway then what's to stop the club putting him on 'gardening leave' , unable to move elsewhere for 2 years. Vindictive but if it reached that stage, it'd be hard to say he didn't deserve it.

bravohotelalpha

Jan 23, 2011
Good Old Sussex By The Sea
Our board has monumentally ****ed up by suspending Gus.

They should have done everything they could to keep him.

It's probably too late now. Who ever came up with the bright idea "let's suspend the management team" should be sacked.

so, in all seriousness, what are WE going to do about it - the way things are going I really do believe it is about time WE should do something - just like we all did to fight for falmer in the first place - so any SENSIBLE ideas ??

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

You are making a big assumption there, on the direction money would be moving, in that proposed offer. Offer was probably the wrong word for the argus to use. 'Settlement' might have been better. You don't know that the 'offer' presented to Gus, was not for example, to let him walk, in return for £500k compensation payable BY him to the club.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Without Bloom we would probably still be at Withdean struggling in Div 1, or even worse out of business and some people want to side with Poyet. Unbelievable.

Whatever we think about either side...the pain will be if this stops the club appointing a new manager in the immediate future...does it?

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Very worrying the impact this could and probably will have on this season. The players have been told they may have to report back late for pre season. This would indicate that resolution is still going to be protracted.

Might need a temporary manager or a member of the coaching team take charge until this is sorted. If a manager is lined up already, Burke could be sorting out the signings until we are ready to bring him in.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Put him on gardening leave.
We continue to pay him his monthly salary rather than a lump sum so we do not lose a lump of our football budget.
Get Oscar in.
Once the season starts Poyet will get an offer and we are shot of him.
Just a shame that it had to end like this.

Feb 14, 2010
According to todays BIG back page article in the Argus Poyet has rejected an offer from the club to sever ties. Guess that puts paid to any suggestion he is coming back

I thought that Poyet was saying that he had bigger ambitions than to be at a club who get 30,000 for a nothing game against Wolves in the second tier or did I read he press conference after the Palace game wrongly, has anyone got the quotes from it?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Sorry kev it he has done nothing wrong apart from mouthing off he has to be paid in full. I thought as the board had suspend him they had a water tight case ,it the argus is correct then it opens up a big can of worms very sad times.

I don't see how. The Argus has only reported the Gus turned down a pay off. It could turn out that, that was foolish on his part and he should have taken it. Maybe the club was showing good will towards Poyet, and wanted it all resolved quickly. Has anyone considered that option.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Very worrying the impact this could and probably will have on this season. The players have been told they may have to report back late for pre season. This would indicate that resolution is still going to be protracted.

Might need a temporary manager or a member of the coaching team take charge until this is sorted. If a manager is lined up already, Burke could be sorting out the signings until we are ready to bring him in.

Sorry i may have missed this ..but is that a fact that the players have been told about possibly reporting back late?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
When we KNOW so little, I don't understand the strong anti-Poyet feeling over this.

IF the investigation ends and we find he hasn't done anything that constitutes gross misconduct, then he could rightly feel aggrieved over his treatment. The whole episode could leave a stain on his reputation that he never erases

All the time that we know so little about this and therefore can't make a definite call over who has handled things badly, I just can't get angry with Gus at all. The situation needs resolving though, and the longer it drags the more shabby I think the club looks.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
You are making a big assumption there, on the direction money would be moving, in that proposed offer. Offer was probably the wrong word for the argus to use. 'Settlement' might have been better. You don't know that the 'offer' presented to Gus, was not for example, to let him walk, in return for £500k compensation payable BY him to the club.

Wouldn't say it was assumption (or it didn't mean to come across that way), it was based on the argus article of an offer being made. You would hope that the argus had something from either the club or Poyet's people to make such a statement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here