Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet REJECTS offer to quit the Albion

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
The other way around??? The club have always stood firm behind Poyet, given him all the tools to do the job. Stood by him as he shoot his mouth off time and time again. He may well be around for many years to come, but I doubt he will work for a better chairman that Tony Bloom and this is how he repays him.

Speculation mixed with bollocks. Good to see you're up to your usual level of bullshit

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Anyone else reckon he would have quit without hesitation if a mutual parting had been offered immediately after the play off game ? His recent statements about his future and links to other clubs sounded like he believed top tier job offers would be a formality. I do wonder how his ego has taken the recently available jobs passing him by.

In my opinion, his role is simply untenable now. Hopefully a compromise agreement can be reached.

I don't think the club would have, they'd be walking away from £2.5m buy out. But if they did, I suspect he would be Wigan boss now, since Dave Whelan wanted a manager he didn't have to buy out of an existing contract,regardless of what some brighton fans are now saying about gus, the rest of the footballing world think he did wonders here, and he would be a prime candidate for a club like Wigan.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
D-Day looms for Poyet

9:00am Saturday 15th June 2013 in Sport By Andy Naylor

Gus Poyet is facing a disciplinary hearing
Gus Poyet is facing D-Day in his fight with Albion.

The Seagulls’ suspended manager has a disciplinary hearing with club officials on Monday.

It is unclear when a final decision will be made about allegations of several breaches of contract by Poyet.

But a verdict is expected by the end of next week as preparations for next season gather pace.

The fixtures are published on Wednesday and the players are due to report back at the end of the month, although they have been told their return date may be delayed.

Poyet will face the music after returning from a break in Spain.

The Argus understands The Uruguayan has already rejected one financial offer to settle the dispute and sever his ties with the club during an exhaustive four-week investigation into his conduct.

Albion announced the suspensions of Poyet, his assistant Mauricio Taricco and coach Charlie Oatway on May 16, three days after the Seagulls were knocked out of the Championship play-offs by arch-rivals Crystal Palace at The Amex. Taricco’s suspension was lifted on Monday but the sanctions against Poyet and Oatway have remained in place.

The Argus flagged up the likelihood of Poyet leaving in April, after he had been targeted by Reading.

He has clashed with chief executive Paul Barber, who was on the Board at Spurs when he lost his job as No. 2 to Juande Ramos.

Poyet’s spending and areas of power and influence have been reined in as part of cost-cutting measures to keep Albion within the boundaries of new Financial Fair Play rules, which take effect for Championship clubs next season.

The tensions behind the scenes have also prompted a breakdown in his relationship with chairman and owner Tony Bloom.

Poyet’s immediate job prospects if he is shown the door have suffered another blow with the appointment by Wigan of former Bolton and Burnley boss Owen Coyle.

That means there are no current vacancies in the Premier League or Championship.

Poyet’s best hope is a change of manager at Swansea, where Michael Laudrup has been unsettled by the Welshmen’s transfer policy, or Fulham, where Martin Jol’s future has been under scrutiny.

Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins, a known admirer of Poyet, is expected to make a move for him if, as sources in Wales are predicting, Laudrup goes.

Poyet has been close to landing the Swansea job twice previously. He was interviewed and narrowly missed out to Paulo Sousa four years ago, then was linked again at the end of his first season with Albion when Brendan Rodgers took over at the Liberty Stadium.

Poyet is firm favourite with bookies to become Swansea’s next permanent manager and an even hotter favourite to take over from Jol at Craven Cottage.

Former Barcelona midfielder Oscar Garcia Junyent is the odds-on favourite to replace Poyet at The Amex after leading Maccabi Tel Aviv to the Israeli title last season. He is followed in the betting by Harry Redknapp, Tim Sherwood and Karl Robinson.

Ha. Knickers in a twist over that?! Perfectly plausible that the offer was for him to give us £1million or something. If the charges against are watertight, can sack without any need for compensation. So, Gus is in the wrong, is he?!

Thanks for posting that! So the only facts we know is that there is a hearing on Monday and he has rejected one offer, but we don't know what that offer was.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Speculation mixed with bollocks. Good to see you're up to your usual level of bullshit

So the club haven't given him money hand over fist and stood back as he spouts his crap to anyone with a microphone then???.I must have imagined all that for the past few years then.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I don't get if Gus has not been charge or sacked at this stage how can he claim compensation?

I would guess that if he's sacked then he could bring a wrongful dismissal claim and if they just appoint another manager then he could claim constructive dismissal. Alternatively he would start a breach of contract claim. Whichever way you look it seems that Poyet has the better hand (assuming that they couldn't pin breach of contract on him).

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Thanks for posting that! So the only facts we know is that there is a hearing on Monday and he has rejected one offer, but we don't know what that offer was.

Yep. Far as we know, it might be Gus being a total **** about things, but impossible to know without details.
Same old people jumping on the bandwagon about a story they hadn't read.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

And the offer is just what "the argus understands" so might not be fact, either, or an entirely accurate one.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Why all the hate towards Poyet? How is this his fault and/or problem? Take away your feelings for the club and look at it from a neutral point of view.

The club have been unable to find something on Poyet (as you would imagine by making an offer) that would breach of contract and therefore dismissal. That is the clubs problem and someone, be that bloom, barber, hr or legal has questions to answer. Poyet is well within his rights to say you want rid of me then pay me the correct amount.

If you had a contract which stated that your employer would pay you x amount if they get rid of you (and the same if you quit) then why would you accept y amount when you have (seemingly) done nothing wrong.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
So the club haven't given him money hand over fist and stood back as he spouts his crap to anyone with a microphone then???.I must have imagined all that for the past few years then.

I didn't mention his conduct whilst in charge. I purely stated that your assertion that 'this is how he repays them' is speculation mixed with bollocks. You don't know how he's treated the club. Baseless accusation.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
It's a strange irony, if, as it's reported, that the working relationship broke down over reining in spending, but to move on we might have to end up spending out more.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

And you haven't a clue what's gone on behind the scenes.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Why all the hate towards Poyet? How is this his fault and/or problem? Take away your feelings for the club and look at it from a neutral point of view.

The club have been unable to find something on Poyet (as you would imagine by making an offer) that would breach of contract and therefore dismissal. That is the clubs problem and someone, be that bloom, barber, hr or legal has questions to answer. Poyet is well within his rights to say you want rid of me then pay me the correct amount.

If you had a contract which stated that your employer would pay you x amount if they get rid of you (and the same if you quit) then why would you accept y amount when you have (seemingly) done nothing wrong.

:thumbsup:

Our board has monumentally ****ed up by suspending Gus.
Who ever came up with the bright idea "let's suspend the management team" should be sacked.

I think we all know who that was...

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
sack him and pay nothing - and let the courts sort it out.....and rubbish him in the press..........

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
sack him and pay nothing - and let the courts sort it out.....and rubbish him in the press..........

That would probably cost more than just paying him what he's due.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Just thinking back to the poker analogies from a few weeks back, so many people saying "Gus will never beat Tony in a poker game". This story might suggest otherwise.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I simply can't believe some people still think the club should have tried to keep him. Perhaps Bloom should just hand over the keys to the stadium, let Gus shag his missus, give him the club chequebook to do with as he sees fit....This is all because Poyet was getting to big for his boots and needed to be bought to book and just look what happens when he doesn't get his own way. The sooner he is gone the better for all concerned.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Yep. Far as we know, it might be Gus being a total **** about things, but impossible to know without details.
Same old people jumping on the bandwagon about a story they hadn't read.

Who was it yesterday who said NSC was boring?!

This thread could get quite entertaining - I am guessing it will be locked/deleted by 10:30 gmt!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here