POYET -"punching above our weight " - Really?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Not really just pointing out that were all making such a fuss about finishing 6th and finishing 6th would be this so called remarkable achievement when 30 years ago finishing 6th would have meant bugger all

It's called relativity - finishing 6th back then would have no benefits, but for us now it has huge potential - it's a crap analogy, if i'm honest.

Also, 6th place (so far) for the unfinished squad we have and the second season back in the Championship is fantastic.

People spend too much time living in the past.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
If we had one of the top squads in the league, then why aren't those players at clubs who can offer them higher wages? That means either they are being generous to play with such a low income, or all other managers are complete idiots for not noticing these players' availability, or they were not the most wanted men in football after all due to fitness issues or personal problems or a real lowering of confidence and needed to find a place to get by and fit in and believe, a chance that was generally nowhere to be found.
None of our players have been worldbeaters in the recent past, and any who ever were had fallen enormously in order for us to grab them from the wayside and have Gus and his crew rematerialise in them a sense of hope and belonging and determination and possibly self-worth. Not everything has gone perfectly, but i honestly think wonders have been done and Gus should be hugely proud of how he has injected will into the majority of players that have come his way.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
we obviously have some very skillful/accomplished players but we are lacking support for bridcutt and ulloa........we need a midfield bully and a striker, i feel sometimes we lack a spine as a team , teams like forest and palace are not just going to roll over in the play offs (if we get there) saturdays game is vital now ..a genuine 6 pointer ,i feel we will beat them but i wouldn't be confident enough to bet on it.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
we obviously have some very skillful/accomplished players but we are lacking support for bridcutt and ulloa........we need a midfield bully and a striker, i feel sometimes we lack a spine as a team , teams like forest and palace are not just going to roll over in the play offs (if we get there) saturdays game is vital now ..a genuine 6 pointer ,i feel we will beat them but i wouldn't be confident enough to bet on it.

Good comment in my opinion..we're they hoping Crofts wud b tht midfield 'bully'?

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
If we had one of the top squads in the league, then why aren't those players at clubs who can offer them higher wages? That means either they are being generous to play with such a low income, or all other managers are complete idiots for not noticing these players' availability, or they were not the most wanted men in football after all due to fitness issues or personal problems or a real lowering of confidence and needed to find a place to get by and fit in and believe, a chance that was generally nowhere to be found.
None of our players have been worldbeaters in the recent past, and any who ever were had fallen enormously in order for us to grab them from the wayside and have Gus and his crew rematerialise in them a sense of hope and belonging and determination and possibly self-worth. Not everything has gone perfectly, but i honestly think wonders have been done and Gus should be hugely proud of how he has injected will into the majority of players that have come his way.

Good points, need to add most are probably also attracted by the way he wants to play football, if you are good at football GUS will let you play it in beautiful way and not an ugly one

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Good comment in my opinion..we're they hoping Crofts wud b tht midfield 'bully'?

possibly , Hammond adds a bit if bite but he will need to keep his hands down for a while......midfeild of hammond ,bridcutt, orlandi and dave looks good on paper with kaz on first half giving the dagger the last half hour , i don't profess to be a football genius but i know what saw at forest and we were lucky to get a point in my opinion...they completely bossed us in the first half.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Right. So that is why Poyet has problems getting strikers to play for him?

Well I have seen our strikers score lots of goals since he has been in charge, the last three he tried to sign all wanted to play for him but the clubs refused to release them, I suppose thats his problem!

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Well I have seen our strikers score lots of goals since he has been in charge, the last three he tried to sign all wanted to play for him but the clubs refused to release them, I suppose thats his problem!

lol, with only one decent striker having jointed us in all the time he has been here? Even if you include CMS, Poyet lied and said he would build a team around him to get him to come to us!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ulloah is, what, fourth or fifth time lucky?
In fairness though Gus has been after Ulloa for 18 months (so NSC has lead me to believe).
Had the deal been done then, money would have been saved, or at least spent elsewhere.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's a ****ING BRILLIANT time to be an Albion fan. Everyone get over yourselves and stop moaning.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
So to answer the questions put forward in this thread, you must be a yes then, to go from the bottom end of league one to the top end of the championship with just 'one decent striker'.

I am sure our strikers appreciate your support.

Poyet did not sign Glenn Murray. Simples! In the period between him going and Mr Ulloa joining, our strikers have been at best poor, even those on loan. Or at least performed that way within our team.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
We are punching above our weight if you take into consideration we have squad players who were with us in League 1. Clubs with larger budgets generally have the edge.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The harsh reality lads is that brighton and palcae are not good enough to go up and stay up.

Whereas Hull and Watford are? (25 defeats between them)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports