Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

POYET -"punching above our weight " - Really?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
He may well have put the squad together for less than some of our rivals, which is impressive.

However man for man we have one of the best squads in this division, yes he has taken risks on players not use to the English game and credit there. However this squad is under achieving, it is a top 3 squad, yet we are scrambling around for 6th place, as we are far too inconsistent. He is the one that picks the team (tinkers) and sets out the tactics, so some of this has to come back on him.

We've been in a position to win games so many times this season that you can't really blame Gus for the fact we're 6th instead of top 2. If he was still a player, you'd have banked on him to put away enough of our chances to get us there. Sadly, as he can only watch us spurn opportunities from the sidelines, there's not much more he can do.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
We've been in a position to win games so many times this season that you can't really blame Gus for the fact we're 6th instead of top 2. If he was still a player, you'd have banked on him to put away enough of our chances to get us there. Sadly, as he can only watch us spurn opportunities from the sidelines, there's not much more he can do.

However opportunities missed by players he has signed and then picked. Worse than that goal keeping errors from keepers he has signed and picked (Saturday in particular).

He is doing more right than wrong. However this is one fo the best squads man for man in the division (not just the first 11), yet we are horribly inconsistent and that comes back to him.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
He may well have put the squad together for less than some of our rivals, which is impressive.

However man for man we have one of the best squads in this division, yes he has taken risks on players not use to the English game and credit there. However this squad is under achieving, it is a top 3 squad, yet we are scrambling around for 6th place, as we are far too inconsistent. He is the one that picks the team (tinkers) and sets out the tactics, so some of this has to come back on him.
Hmm. I agree to a certain extent (especially as this league isn't nearly as strong as I thought it was going to be), but I would still maintain that he has got the tactics and personnel right FAR more often than he has got them wrong. When you look at the 'bad' dropped points (the ones where we've conceded in 90+ minutes) nearly always they've been down to individual player mistakes rather than system failure.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Hmm. I agree to a certain extent (especially as this league isn't nearly as strong as I thought it was going to be), but I would still maintain that he has got the tactics and personnel right FAR more often than he has got them wrong. When you look at the 'bad' dropped points (the ones where we've conceded in 90+ minutes) nearly always they've been down to individual player mistakes rather than system failure.

As stated above, he is doing more right than wrong and maybe some of this inconsitancy is down to his inexperience as a manager as well.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
This makes interesting reading. I'm not sure which source they use for the cost of the squad (they really should say) but according to this we have the 11th most expensive squad in the division, representing the 14th-best value for money per goal, 11th-best value for money per win. Conclusion? We draw too much, probably, and that Poyet is more or less accurate in his assessment of our spending against other clubs'.

You can, of course, prove anything with statistics - Watford's look hopelessly skewed because of their loanees, as wages play no part in this table. That table, were it ever made available, would make for some interesting reading indeed.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
You are right, it does not show what people are spending now. But it gives an idea. I for one cannot imagine many clubs looking for promotion will have RECUCED their spending on wages. As ours have gone up, so, in most instances, will others.

Of course, we only pay around a ninth of Bridge's salary - something personally I think is wrong and that loan rules need tightening.

I don't doubt we are paying the likes of Bruno et al more than a healthy wage. But equally, we won't have suddenly jumped from being a below average spender to one of the top payers in the space of a season. Birmingham, for example, still have the likes of Zigic on a weekly wage nearly four times that which we pay our top players.

Poyet has already said that he has been allowed to spend money from his transfer budget on wages this year. That could have a massive impact, especially as we have taken some "big names" on free transfers. I simply cannot believe that our wage bill is anything like last years. Why should it be with our ever-increasing commercial revenues?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
As stated above, he is doing more right than wrong and maybe some of this inconsitancy is down to his inexperience as a manager as well.

Very good point, he has not yet completed his 2nd season as a manager at this level, and is only just past his 3rd year as a full time manager in his own right. Doing very well by my reckoning.

SB005

WSU is my home
Jan 12, 2008
Angmering
What's all this talk of Poyet having to take the blame and having poor tactics? Sorry, I thought we were in the playoffs with a handful of games to go? No? I'm sure he'd gladly take the blame for that!

I bet all teams in the playoffs have had some games that they feel they should have won that perhaps they drew or couldn't see out. Even Cardiff will probably have games like that.

His comments about the budget are an excuse for nothing, because there is nothing to excuse. We are not in a relegation battle.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Makes sense for the manager to try and take the pressure off the players. Some managers do it by making sure they are in the headlines themselves, rather than the players (Mourinho). Gus does it by claiming that we are a small club punching above our weight.
This. He did it when we were in League 1, and only after we'd won it did he say we were the 'by far' the best team in the league.

Given our budget he is referring to. When you then look at the side he's put together, it's clear he's doing a great job.
Keep up the great work I say!
This. Our wages are at the mid table level or lower, he's done very well. We've also been unlucky not to get better results on a few occasions, we could easily be close to 2nd.

When the financial results came out it demonstrated the extreme over-spending of other clubs in the division. Poyet should be congratulated for assembling this squad whilst maintaining a sensible income/wages ratio.
Yep.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
You only need to look at our bench from last night to see how light we are as a squad, agreed we can manage a decent starting 11 and possibly a good bench when everyone is fit and available but given suspensions and injuries it's clear we don't have the same sort of squad as many in this league.

Just take a look at the back cover of any programme and see how short our list of squad players is compared to our opponents and the bottom few of ours are also development squad players.

I think we are overachieving, however if we stay in the championship and sign a handful of players during the summer than I'd expect good things from the boys next season

Jimmy Grimble

I genuinely think he has a bit of a superiority complex.

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
how can any of you moan at this? its ludicrous... He's taking the pressure off the team, and praising them for the job they have done? nsc is ridiculous :facepalm:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

True and until he gets the tactics more together he is not going to get the top job he craves. Not sure that going to a mid to lower league Premier team would make it any easier for him either.

Having said that, I'm enjoying the ride for the most part and hope he commits to us for at least another season.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Blimey you are ramping up the abuse ..pmt?

So you think I am wrong Lamie?

We are turning from Brighton & Hove Albion FC into the Gus Poyet Circus. Do you not find it frustrating that he prefers to talk about himself and, by inference, put himself in the market for other jobs, rather than talk about the team, and getting on with his job?

It would have been nice if he could have said sorry that he could not get the promised striker on loan, and tell us what the problems were.

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
Really all of this is a compliment to Gus. He has convinced some people that we have one of the best squads in the championship to the point where he is being moaned at for being 6th. We have some quality players, but a lot of championship teams have good players. Gus has not spent much money in transfer fee's has done a fair amount of free deals.
This squad, whilst good, is still evolving. Think how our squad is now compared to last year . . players like Orlandi, Lopez, Ulloa, Crofts.
We will probably make play-offs this year, and if then its a lottery. If we don't go up the squad will continue to change and progress. It took Swansea 3 seasons of championship football while the club evolved under Sousa, Martinez, Rodgers.
Don't be so impatient.

We are turning from Brighton & Hove Albion FC into the Gus Poyet Circus. Do you not find it frustrating that he prefers to talk about himself and, by inference, put himself in the market for other jobs, rather than talk about the team, and getting on with his job?

It would have been nice if he could have said sorry that he could not get the promised striker on loan, and tell us what the problems were.

He did . . many loan players we could afford, would have been willing wanted guaranteed first team football. Had a deal lined up for Jackson but didn't work out last minute. Not exactly the Gus Poyet Circus.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Well ..I have commented on another thread that I was irritated by seeing the short clip on SSN last night re the 'Leeds' affair ..but as you well know these interviews are edited and he would have said a lot more as u can hear from the one on the BBC website ...yes I would have liked to have heard a bout there failure to bring in another striker ..all we've had so far is dear old Warren on radio Sussex ...but football is rarely black and white ...so overall nope I don't think I agree that he is a 'tosser'

Last edited:

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
That old chestnut has come out again in todays Argus, Gus is saying were punching above our weight again in a push for the play offs

Kuszcak
Upson
Bridge
Bridcutt
Vicente
Lopez
Orlandi
Buckley
Ulloa

REALLY ?

Or are your tactics just not good enough GUS to get us in the play offs
And your making excusses at the right time if we do miss out on the play offs as not to dent your CV for the summer months when Leeds & probably a few other clubs come calling

Who is punching above their weight? Managing expectations, I remember the manager that went AWOL for 45 minutes last year when we played Burnley last year,. the manager who was bored with managing a team that could not score goals when only playing a lone striker at home as well as away The players do what they are told to do by the manager and rightly so. In defending the players the manager is defending himself. I'm fed up of the manager touting himself around when we have a job to do here. S..t or get off the pot Gus, your with us for the playoffs or your not and manage the fantastic assetts that you have been provided with by our chairman and stop making excuses before the event. We have a chairman that is unlike many in the game, show him some respect and get on with the job. Wrong game plan last night and no adjustment, thats down to the manager and his immediate staff, so don't suggest that we are punching above our weight, thats a slur on our chairman and its just not on!

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Fully agree. Also with [MENTION=4472]strings[/MENTION]. Some people read too much in to Gus' comments.

When the financial results came out it demonstrated the extreme over-spending of other clubs in the division. Poyet should be congratulated for assembling this squad whilst maintaining a sensible income/wages ratio.

Surely this is down to the chairman and not the manager, Gus doesn't write the cheques or allocate the budget!

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Who is punching above their weight? Managing expectations, I remember the manager that went AWOL for 45 minutes last year when we played Burnley last year,. the manager who was bored with managing a team that could not score goals when only playing a lone striker at home as well as away The players do what they are told to do by the manager and rightly so. In defending the players the manager is defending himself. I'm fed up of the manager touting himself around when we have a job to do here. S..t or get off the pot Gus, your with us for the playoffs or your not and manage the fantastic assetts that you have been provided with by our chairman and stop making excuses before the event. We have a chairman that is unlike many in the game, show him some respect and get on with the job. Wrong game plan last night and no adjustment, thats down to the manager and his immediate staff, so don't suggest that we are punching above our weight, thats a slur on our chairman and its just not on!

So you're conveniently ignoring the fact that our wage bill is mid-table, then? Based on cold financial reality, how are we not punching above our weight?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here