Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

POYET -"punching above our weight " - Really?

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
You do make some fair points, I agree. Can't find the link, but I remember it being posted a little while ago that there is something like a 93% correlation in football between the amount you spend on players' wages and where you finish in the league. By that measure, I'd argue we are punching above our weight.

In other ways, you probably have a point - we do have a very good squad and we undoubtedly have thrown away points from good positions or just had poor results sometimes, but I don't think you can blame that all, if blame is the right word, on the manager. You could also make the argument that Poyet deserves a lot of praise for assembling such a talented squad whilst not having the biggest budget in the league to play with. And also - we're 6th, we still have a chance of playing in the Premier League next season. We probably all need to get a bit of perspective.

You are undoubtetly correct in your reply and I am responding to a soundbite that could in or out of context, we are also micro managing every comment at the moment. I think its great that we are where we are in the Championship and if nothing it has been exciting this year. But, I would like our Club to be run correctly, in terms of finance, and why do we employ a manager and his staff if not to punch above our weight, surely that must be the goal of every club in any division? I'm not into apportioning blame, its just this media driven world where people feel that something has to be said and sometimes its better to say nothing. Maybe its lost in translation, but sometimes I find Gus s statements and interviews strange in terms of the language he uses and the points he makes.

basque seagull

Oct 21, 2012
Given our budget he is referring to. When you then look at the side he's put together, it's clear he's doing a great job. He's gone for the likes of Lopez and Ulloa not knowing how they'd turn out it the English game - big risks really, and to his credit they've worked out brilliantly. He's helped turn Bridcutt into arguably the best defensive midfielder in the league, and persuaded the likes of Kuszcak, Upson and Bridge that this is the club they should be forwarding their careers with. Keep up the great work I say!

Well Said!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here