Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

POYET -"punching above our weight " - Really?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
It is an inescapable fact that the club's total wage bill is below the league's average. The year West Ham went up via the play offs their wage bill for the club was around the £40m mark. Ours is less than half that.

That same season Leicester City spent £28m, Reading £27m, Birmingham City £25m, Cardiff City £21m, Hull City £19m, Bristol City £19m, Leeds United £18m, NottinghamForest £17m and Burnley £17m.

In 2012 ours was £14.7m.

Now not all of that cash is going on players at each club - but I cannot imagine all of those clubs spending considerably more have a far bigger off the pitch staff level than we have having just moved to a new stadium.

Next year when FFP comes in some clubs and fans are in for a big shock.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Surely this is down to the chairman and not the manager, Gus doesn't write the cheques or allocate the budget!

It's Poyet (along with the scouts) that have identified the players we need and brought them in within the budget set by the chairman.

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
“Unlucky” would be my assessment of this season so far.

If you take just half the points from those games where our luck was out we’d be looking at an extra 10 points or so. That would put us second and challenging for an automatic spot.

We haven’t been well beaten on too many occasions, (Apart from Watford and Millwall at home) and we haven’t had many lucky wins or draws.
Luck is supposed to even itself out over a season, if that’s true we are due a shed load and we’ve only got 6 to 9 games left for it to happen. Imagine if the balance of luck is re-aligned in the play offs, I’d take that.

If our luck doesn’t change then it wasn’t meant to be. I believe everything happens for a reason, therefore relax and let the universe do its thing, the reasons will become clear at some point.

Keep the faith!

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
We're not punching above our weight in the slightest.
We've probably got the best team on paper in this league!
Now Watford and palace have both punched well above their weight this season

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
how can any of you moan at this? its ludicrous... He's taking the pressure off the team, and praising them for the job they have done? nsc is ridiculous :facepalm:

Have you not thought he's taking the pressure of himself again in case he fails again getting us into the top 6, the top 6 that's all were talking about here, when Mullery took us up in 79 and went close in 78 we had no play offs we came 4th then went up the next season finishing in the top 3 and now were struggling just to get into 6th

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Have you not thought he's taking the pressure of himself again in case he fails again getting us into the top 6, the top 6 that's all were talking about here, when Mullery took us up in 79 and went close in 78 we had no play offs we came 4th then went up the next season finishing in the top 3 and now were struggling just to get into 6th

Have you meet Gus, he is full of energy and takes life full on, like any of us I am sure he has agendas, but he has far more pressing matters running our football team than building scenarios to cover up what some on here seem to be seeing as a failure to reach the championship playoffs in his second season in the league, OOSHHHHHH I do like playing away...

[yt]ufx8AbbnBk0[/yt]

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Taking the "punching above our weight" quote in context of similar stuff he has said before he's talking about our playing budget and the fact we are competing with relegated clubs with parachute payments. And this is fair enough. Our latest published accounts showed that even with modest wages by Championship standards we lost £8million in 2011/12.

However, the dynamics have changed in 2012/13. His transfer and wage budgets have clearly increased to be able to bring in Ulloa, Spanish Dave, Orlandi, Dobbie, Bruno, and it's debatable whether any other Championship club has brought in as much quality this season. The reality for Bolton, Blackburn and Wolves is that they've got rid of quality and not replaced - the exception to this is Jordan Rhodes. The financial implications of bombing out of the Prem has hit all of those 3 clubs harder than anyone could have realised.

At the end of the day Gus was probably expecting to be below those three but also above Palace, Watford. Given that we finished below Hull, Leicester and Cardiff last season you can deduce he was expecting to be in 7th spot, therefore he'd probably be happy to be 6th now.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
So you're conveniently ignoring the fact that our wage bill is mid-table, then? Based on cold financial reality, how are we not punching above our weight?

Are we then suggesting that he who spends the most money is assurred of the most success? or do we judge our position on strategies, game plans, getting the best from our assetts. Do rememeber that we beat Crystal Palace, Hull, Cardiff, Watford (away) but we fail to beat teams at the bottom of the division. I do concede that this season in particular the margins are closer between the teams, but punching above our weight no not at all. Our chairman is a businessman and has the correct approach, don't confuse the expenditure at a club with its position, if this were correct QPR would be sailing up the Prem now and Leicseter would have been promoted last season. Its not what you spend that makes you successful its how you spend and what you get for your money.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Are you...trying to make some sort of connection between two squads and managers...over 30 years apart?

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Are you...trying to make some sort of connection between two squads and managers...over 30 years apart?

Not really just pointing out that were all making such a fuss about finishing 6th and finishing 6th would be this so called remarkable achievement when 30 years ago finishing 6th would have meant bugger all

oldboy

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
The harsh reality lads is that brighton and palcae are not good enough to go up and stay up.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Are we then suggesting that he who spends the most money is assurred of the most success? or do we judge our position on strategies, game plans, getting the best from our assetts. Do rememeber that we beat Crystal Palace, Hull, Cardiff, Watford (away) but we fail to beat teams at the bottom of the division. I do concede that this season in particular the margins are closer between the teams, but punching above our weight no not at all. Our chairman is a businessman and has the correct approach, don't confuse the expenditure at a club with its position, if this were correct QPR would be sailing up the Prem now and Leicseter would have been promoted last season. Its not what you spend that makes you successful its how you spend and what you get for your money.

You do make some fair points, I agree. Can't find the link, but I remember it being posted a little while ago that there is something like a 93% correlation in football between the amount you spend on players' wages and where you finish in the league. By that measure, I'd argue we are punching above our weight.

In other ways, you probably have a point - we do have a very good squad and we undoubtedly have thrown away points from good positions or just had poor results sometimes, but I don't think you can blame that all, if blame is the right word, on the manager. You could also make the argument that Poyet deserves a lot of praise for assembling such a talented squad whilst not having the biggest budget in the league to play with. And also - we're 6th, we still have a chance of playing in the Premier League next season. We probably all need to get a bit of perspective.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
So Gus phoned up Palace and said we've got another one. The financial performance is down to the board, not the manager.

I still don't understand your point. Poyet has assembled this team within the budget he's been set. He's got the team playing good football and got us in a play off position. Other teams have spent more money and are not performing as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here