Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet NOT to Reading thread

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Adkins may be holding out for a bigger job, also I think if QPR go down he will end up there

Maybe. But I reckon QPR will drop like a sack of shit over the next few seasons.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Poyet to Reading thread, massively odds on, (maybe) in talks with them [merged]

My four penny worth.

Like someone else mentioned, I've always got the impression Gus thinks he's just that bit bigger than the club and his post match interviews have always come across as a bit pompous.

He's clearly ambitious and Reading have massaged his already big ego.

The very fact he's thinking about this is disappointing for me - the implication is that he'll be off sooner rather than later anyway. If it's not Reading it will be another slightly higher club.

Very disappointed in him.

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
Thing is the papers are usually right. I am starting to accept the fact that may be, just may be Poyet is off.
Gus Poyet given transfer funds promise if he takes Reading job | Mail Online

That Mail story actually makes me more hopeful. Clearly Gus' advisers are thrashing out a deal in case he wants it, but it seems he's definitely not decided to leave yet. Reckon he's strengthening his bargaining position within Brighton by demonstrating he has other options, but would be very surprised if he ultimately left for Reading.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
He'll make his decision in a couple of days time (so I've heard). Most likely Sunday or Monday we'll know.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
think this is likely to happen unfortunately. Find it hard to understand why poyet would go there? Certainly no bigger than us in terms of fan base etc, indeed I would say he has as much chance of establishing BHA in prem as Reading. The only thing is paracute payment which if he leave for that says a lot about his comments about moving for big club and building club etc.. Concerned that he will come back for our players, hope bloom plays hard ball there. Not a great way for this to end and certainly would tarnish poyet for me.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Poyet to Reading thread, massively odds on, (maybe) in talks with them [merged]

Am I the only one who has woken up thinking that I will be really angry if Poyet goes to Reading.

Over the last few years Poyet has been saying that it would take "something special" to leave Brighton and yet he is reported to be in talks with...READING??!??

A relegation bound, debt ridden club going the same way as Blackburn!!!

Yeah good luck Gus!

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
He'll make his decision in a couple of days time (so I've heard). Most likely Sunday or Monday we'll know.

Again, if this is true (and i'm not saying it is) TB should sack him now. End of.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
From an outsiders view.

Do you think gus is being clever here, he knows if he doesnt at least get into play offs he will be seen as a failure (rightly or wrongly) and his stock will drop, and it's very much in the balance.

Leaves now and keeps reading up/glorious failure and his stock rises again, also clubs will take him more seriously as he has managed in the premiership albeit briefly.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Am I the only one who has woken up thinking that I will be really angry if Poyet goes to Reading.

Over the last few years Poyet has been saying that it would take "something special" to leave Brighton and yet he is reported to be in talks with...READING??!??

Yeah good luck Gus!

Really? Same way as Blackburn?

PWA

European Tour 2023/24
Jul 23, 2011
West Sussex
Gus is a human being.
Hopefully the worst case scenario will be, that he meets up, hears what they have to say, how much he'll have to spend, compares the clubs and decides, I have a job to finish at the Albion.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton

Yeah good luck Gus!

No I agree with you, I certainly don't want him to go but the fact he is seriously considering Reading makes me think he was lying the whole time and just wanted a better offer. Not I'm saying there is anything wrong with that, just isn't what he claimed was his position.

It will be a shame if he leaves as I believe he is building something special here, although with the right replacement that can continue ( see Swansea ).

What I won't miss is his moaning and constant self promotion.

D

Deleted member 22389

From an outsiders view.

Do you think gus is being clever here, he knows if he doesnt at least get into play offs he will be seen as a failure (rightly or wrongly) and his stock will drop, and it's very much in the balance.

Leaves now and keeps reading up/glorious failure and his stock rises again, also clubs will take him more seriously as he has managed in the premiership albeit briefly.

Yep that's my thinking. Rescue Reading, job done. Chelsea coming calling, he has the job of his dreams.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
From an outsiders view.

Do you think gus is being clever here, he knows if he doesnt at least get into play offs he will be seen as a failure (rightly or wrongly) and his stock will drop, and it's very much in the balance..

That would show that he hasn't got the faith in his own ability, which I doubt tbh. The playoffs are definitely within reach, if he has doubts he can motivate this team to get into them maybe he's not the right man for the job anyway?? I would have expected him to see our current situation as one to see through, at least until the summer.

There is more to this than the playing front.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Again, if this is true (and i'm not saying it is) TB should sack him now. End of.

Yeah and then face a massive claim from Gus for unfair dismissal. Gus is doing nothing wrong in speaking to a potential new employer. Should your boss sack you if you attend an interview for job with different company?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
That would show that he hasn't got the faith in his own ability, which I doubt tbh. The playoffs are definitely within reach, if he has doubts he can motivate this team to get into them maybe he's not the right man for the job anyway?? I would have expected him to see our current situation as one to see through, at least until the summer.

Not so sure.

They are within reach of course, but what is more likely promotion via the play offs or reading staying up?

Having seen Poyet in the press he is all about self promotion, and he will be able to do that in the premiership better than he could in the championship even if it's for a couple of months

I think you would be better off with out him, there are plenty of better managers out there who have achieved promotion. Maybe thats what you need, a manager that concentrates on the team rather than himself?

I cannot see why Poyet would want to leave for Reading.... They are as good as relegated, have they the funds to take them back up? I don't want him to go but if someone like Chelsea came in for him, then I would understand. Brighton are going places, hopefully in the play offs .... with the Ground, new training facilities being built, and good squad of players and a club with ambition.... Is Reading the better option?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here