Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet NOT to Reading thread

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
This, imho, feels just like the Coppell situation from a few years ago.

Reading were a division higher then in 2003, and despite all the "Palace" history, I think most of the fans, including myself, wanted to Coppell to stay. But reading Wikipedia, Coppell's citied his decision to leave, was that Falmer was taking too long to happen.

Brighton/Coppell era

How ironic that Gus seems to want to go, with Falmer established, a side that he has predominately put together on the verge of the Play-Offs to the highest division in the land, to go to a club that looks like it's going in the other direction! :facepalm:

I just think that maybe Gus has had some control taken out of his hands, regarding signing players, etc. And, maybe going to Reading will give him the complete control that he wants.
I just hope he doesn't tear our side apart if this is the case!!

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Poyet to Reading thread, massively odds on, (maybe) in talks with them [merged]

Readings run in is pretty generous, apart from arsenal next week and city at reading they have a very good run in.

They're ALL teams above them!!

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
This, imho, feels just like the Coppell situation from a few years ago.

Reading were a division higher then in 2003, and despite all the "Palace" history, I think most of the fans, including myself, wanted to Coppell to stay. But reading Wikipedia, Coppell's citied his decision to leave, was that Falmer was taking too long to happen.

I thought that Coppell said that he would have stayed if DK had asked him to - but that DK only had his eyes on the compo.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Bloom can put a clause in place to prevent this. It has been done at other clubs.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I just think that maybe Gus has had some control taken out of his hands, regarding signing players, etc. And, maybe going to Reading will give him the complete control that he wants.

Lots of us assuming this is about budgets but I don't recall McDermott being a big spender and isn't it largely the same squad they got promoted with? Can't believe he wouldn't have spent more if he could. And why wait till relegated before spending? If they were going to spend they'd have done a version of QPR no?

I think this is more about Gus putting himself in the shop window, baiting bigger fish

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Interesting to see what a night does for our collective view. Without there being any more information or evidence to hand the general NSC view seems to have swung from defiance to a degree of acceptance?

I really need to stay off this site and get some work done.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Gus said (at the SOL meeting) that he wouldn't look anywhere else (with the obvious exceptions) unless he felt he wasn't moving forward where he was. With the training ground progressing and the extra seats almost done, I'd call that moving forward but who knows what is happening behind the scenes, certainly not me :)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Lots of us assuming this is about budgets but I don't recall McDermott being a big spender and isn't it largely the same squad they got promoted with? Can't believe he wouldn't have spent more if he could. And why wait till relegated before spending? If they were going to spend they'd have done a version of QPR no?

I think this is more about Gus putting himself in the shop window, baiting bigger fish

Lowest spending team in the Premier League was what was said on MOTD last weekend. Seems the parachute payments were more important than staying up.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Reading want Brighton boss Gus Poyet | Football | Sport | Daily Express

Poyet, 45, had talks with Reading yesterday after being given permission to speak to the club.

The Royals want to name Poyet as their new manager in the next 24 hours – with eight games left to save their top-flight status.

The Uruguayan was thinking over the move after two-and-a-half years in charge at Brighton but has been told by Reading owner Anton Zingarevich that even if the Royals go down – they are seven points adrift of safety after sacking Brian McDermott – he will get a massive transfer budget to ensure they come straight back up.

Former Southampton boss Nigel Adkins is next on the list to replace Brian McDermott at Reading

Reading would have to pay about £1.5million compensation for the remaining three years of Poyet’s contract with Brighton
Zingarevich also held talks with former Southampton boss Nigel Adkins yesterday, but Poyet is the man he wants, and the parties were talking terms last night.

Reading would have to pay about £1.5million compensation for the remaining three years of Poyet’s contract with Brighton, whom he led into the Championship in 2011 with attractive football that has alerted several big clubs.

Poyet has been linked with Chelsea, whose interim manager Rafa Benitez will leave in the summer, and West Ham. Brighton, seventh and only outside the play-off places on goaldifference, could turn to Adkins, 48, if Poyet leaves.

If Poyet stays at the Amex, Adkins is next on Zingarevich’s list and he wants the job, but would lose the compensation due from Southampton.

Looks like he will be gone by the end of the day. punish:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No, no they haven't.

These next manager markets take next to no money for the bookies. You'd probably struggle to place £100 if you wanted to. They are more a novelty bet for the bookies.

To be honest I don't know how the markets work but seemed odd yesterday that SSN were saying he was the overwhelming favourite and Adkins was Favourite on skybet at the time they reported it. I thought they were doing it to get more cash.

I could be completely wrong.

If you don't believe it look who much money has been matched on Betfair - about £40k in a market that has been up for, what, a week.
There's £1m+ matched on most horse races every day in this country - I'm not talking about The Grand National either - this would be for selling plate at Wolverhampton.

I don't know much about the betting markets so would take Bozza and 8ace's word on this. I do know a bit about ebusiness though. If you can attract new punters to your site with what seems like a certainty (even at very short odds on) you have a new account and someone who may place another couple of bets while they're there. The whole SSN / Skybet tie up isn't about one bet or one market, it's about getting new accounts in.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
That Express report makes for depressing reading. Very depressing. Hopefully as always they have no idea what they are talking about.

Gus leaving now would be a disaster.

If we end up with that complete cock Adkins in charge instead it would simply be horrific.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
That Express report makes for depressing reading. Very depressing. Hopefully as always they have no idea what they are talking about.

And they are far better at breaking "exclusives" about Princess Diana, property prices and immigrants than football teams.

VeronaSeagull

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Quick question. I understood he was en route to Barbados yesterday so how on earth was he in talks all day yesterday. Appreciate it could have been his agent in discussions but not the same thing

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
I laid Poyet on Betfair yesterday at 1.56 - he's now drifted right out to odds against, at 2.12 (only slightly ahead of Adkins).

I still think he's staying - and a story in the Daily bloody Express isn't going to change my mind; they'll probably run a story about how Diana would be perfect for the job later.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here