Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet NOT to Reading thread

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Spot on, I trust Tony that if Poyet goes then he won't only appoint another good manager but he will stop Poyet ripping apart the team he has built here and moving it to Reading.

I hope you're right, though in the unlikely event of Gus going and Reading staying up, I think we would be saying bye-bye to Liam Bridcutt, possibly Orlandi and Lopez too.

But I don't think he's going, or that Reading are staying up.

Plake

Unregistered User
Nov 7, 2009
Brighton seafront
Poyet to Reading thread, massively odds on, (maybe) in talks with them [merged]

I'm a Reading fan and I'm a bit worried where all of this is going. Reading are 100% relegated this season. Wages alone for what is still basically a championship squad will completely eat the parachute payment. Our owner isn't Abramovich style mega rich and with the greatest of respect, nobody really knows where the money is coming from or for how long it'll remain. The last thing we need is a fickle manager bought in on the remit to spunk eye-watering amounts of money on mentally fragile Spaniards.

Brighton's a decent club with a great fan base and bags of potential. You've started to play some of the most attractive football in the UK under Poyet and he's obviously got a good thing going there. I don't really understand why Poyet would want to leave to immediately add a relegation to his CV, unless he is more frustrated with his budget at Brighton than he seems. Or just chasing a bigger pay packet for himself.

Hope he stays at the Amex and I hope he gets Brighton up. Not enough loyalty or respect for the people that pay the wages, ie club and ultimately the fans, nowadays in football.

Cheers for Coppell though ;)

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

A few thoughts on the whole thing.

First, should he believe the Russian? If he has that financial power himself, why not use it last summer or in January when it could have kept the club up.

Second, if we accept this budget is therefore coming from parachute payments, it still hasn't done the likes of Wolves and Blackburn much good. Granted, Reading probably have fewer very high earners soaking up the money but with those resources you still end up forking out vastly inflated prices. And the only thing that keeps football interesting these days is that thankfully players who cost ten times more are not generally ten times better.

Third, he can have all the money in the world but if the Football League take a tough line over increased parachute payments as has been mooted, they may impose a salary cap on all clubs to keep the Championship competitive. With FFP, the budget issue should be lessened - if it works. I suppose there's not much cause for optimism based on past experience.The greed of the wealthiest clubs appears to know no bounds.

Finally, what about Gus's football philosophy? He's spent years instilling it at Brighton to get where we are and always says he dislikes loans because they take don't have time to adapt to our possession football. So it's not going to happen in 6 weeks at Reading.

And next season, in the Championship, they would expect instant success but if he's ripping the team apart to start again, will they really be a better promotion prospect than us - a club that coud be very serious contenders with some more clever summer work in the transfer market.

I'd always hoped that when Gus does go, he'd leave with the respect and good wishes of the Albion fans. Who could begrudge him a move to a club with Champions League or even Europa League potential. But Reading? I'm afraid I'd want him to fail big time for deserting our long term plan just for the money.

Baaaald

3rd time lucky
Aug 7, 2011
Haywards Heath
Indy report Poyet for sure with 2m compensation. Mirror reports 2.5m and a battle with Adkins. So basically sounds like they are guessing and haven't a clue what's going in. Seems utter madness to me why he would want to go.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I see SSN not running the "overwhelming favourite" story now. They have stirred it right up to make money on sky bet.

No, no they haven't.

These next manager markets take next to no money for the bookies. You'd probably struggle to place £100 if you wanted to. They are more a novelty bet for the bookies.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
From Readings point of view, you would assume Adkins would be THE choice (no criticism of poyet, I love the bloke)

Adkins has a promoted a team from the championship, has prem league experience(not a lot, but enough for knowing what it's like to be in the prem with a promoted team) and he is free of compensation.

I also would guess (I may be wrong) he would require less funds in terms of squad upheaval. Gus would prov want to change their style, adkins at Southampton played a style much closer to what readings players currently do.

Also, Gus isn't even in the country so I'd be surprised.

Again, I may be massively wrong!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
A few thoughts on the whole thing.

First, should he believe the Russian? If he has that financial power himself, why not use it last summer or in January when it could have kept the club up.

Second, if we accept this budget is therefore coming from parachute payments, it still hasn't done the likes of Wolves and Blackburn much good. Granted, Reading probably have fewer very high earners soaking up the money but with those resources you still end up forking out vastly inflated prices. And the only thing that keeps football interesting these days is that thankfully players who cost ten times more are not generally ten times better.

Third, he can have all the money in the world but if the Football League take a tough line over increased parachute payments as has been mooted, they may impose a salary cap on all clubs to keep the Championship competitive. With FFP, the budget issue should be lessened - if it works. I suppose there's not much cause for optimism based on past experience.The greed of the wealthiest clubs appears to know no bounds.

Finally, what about Gus's football philosophy? He's spent years instilling it at Brighton to get where we are and always says he dislikes loans because they take don't have time to adapt to our possession football. So it's not going to happen in 6 weeks at Reading.

And next season, in the Championship, they would expect instant success but if he's ripping the team apart to start again, will they really be a better promotion prospect than us - a club that coud be very serious contenders with some more clever summer work in the transfer market.

I'd always hoped that when Gus does go, he'd leave with the respect and good wishes of the Albion fans. Who could begrudge him a move to a club with Champions League or even Europa League potential. But Reading? I'm afraid I'd want him to fail big time for deserting our long term plan just for the money.

A lot of good points there, trueblue. I wouldn't begrudge Gus a move to a big club in the slightest but if he goes to Reading I'll be making a voodoo doll and abusing it on a daily basis.

Saying that, I don't think it'll happen. Adkins way more likely.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

Something else for Reading to consider. Gus's team hasn't won a single match all season after falling behind. Good luck with that relegation battle!

D

Deleted member 22389

I'm a Reading fan and I'm a bit worried where all of this is going. Reading are 100% relegated this season. Wages alone for what is still basically a championship squad will completely eat the parachute payment. Our owner isn't Abramovich style mega rich and with the greatest of respect, nobody really knows where the money is coming from or for how long it'll remain. The last thing we need is a fickle manager bought in on the remit to spunk eye-watering amounts of money on mentally fragile Spaniards.

Brighton's a decent club with a great fan base and bags of potential. You've started to play some of the most attractive football in the UK under Poyet and he's obviously got a good thing going there. I don't really understand why Poyet would want to leave to immediately add a relegation to his CV, unless he is more frustrated with his budget at Brighton than he seems. Or just chasing a bigger pay packet for himself.

Hope he stays at the Amex and I hope he gets Brighton up. Not enough loyalty or respect for the people that pay the wages, ie club and ultimately the fans, nowadays in football.

Cheers for Coppell though ;)

John madejski did a brilliant job at your club. Seems like an honest bloke with Reading in his heart. That is what you want. We are so lucky to have Tony Bloom in that respect and I hope Tony Bloom is here for the long haul.

I think its strange why your new owner has not invested any money in players, that should of been the first priority when you got promoted last season. Like you say, nobody knows where the money has come from, and how long he will stay, and that is the problem with these foreign owners. I know nothing about your owner, but in my opinion they have buggered up football with their money.

Look at Blackburn, what a complete and utter shambles that has turned in to. Look at Portsmouth, are QPR going to be going to same way. It's just not sustainable.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

Brazil an hour ago on talkSPORT said Gus has asked to 'think about it for 24 hours'

D

Deleted member 22389

We have had rumours in the past, but this is now looking serious. Never seen it at this stage before.
If this does turn out to be true, what a bad time to be leaving us.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Re: Poyet to Reading thread, massively odds on, (maybe) in talks with them [merged]

No, no they haven't.

These next manager markets take next to no money for the bookies. You'd probably struggle to place £100 if you wanted to. They are more a novelty bet for the bookies.

To be honest I don't know how the markets work but seemed odd yesterday that SSN were saying he was the overwhelming favourite and Adkins was Favourite on skybet at the time they reported it. I thought they were doing it to get more cash.

I could be completely wrong.

D

Deleted member 22389

Blimey, like most I thought this was just a load of bollocks, but check out the story in today's Independent and it sounds like a done-deal
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...g-job-as-brighton-take-2m-payoff-8543130.html

Hopefully that's just the gutter press adding two plus two and getting three million.

Thing is the papers are usually right. I am starting to accept the fact that may be, just may be Poyet is off.
Gus Poyet given transfer funds promise if he takes Reading job | Mail Online

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Saw this when I woke up this morning and spent nearly the whole morning reading through all 49 pages.

I dont think this is a rumour or speculation. Gus has spoken to Reading and is probably thinking about it but how hard is another question. Much as it pains me to admit it I suspect the Mail article is closest to the truth as it fits with what I beelieve about Gus. I think Gus likes challenges and Reading would be one but I also believe he has really invested in the Albion project and wants to see its success. I dont think his frustration is such that he would want to jump ship. However, the deal may be just too tempting.

Nick is right, tabloids do get it right sometimes. The Independent article is an awful bit of journalism and they should be ashamed of themselves.

I think by the weekend Gus will have re-iterated his intention to stay...: however the message will be out there.... Gus will leave Albion if the deal is right.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
A lot of good points there, trueblue. I wouldn't begrudge Gus a move to a big club in the slightest but if he goes to Reading I'll be making a voodoo doll and abusing it on a daily basis.

Saying that, I don't think it'll happen. Adkins way more likely.

Adkins may be holding out for a bigger job, also I think if QPR go down he will end up there

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Brazil an hour ago on talkSPORT said Gus has asked to 'think about it for 24 hours'

If this is true, i'm not sure I want him to stay if i'm honest.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
To be honest I don't know how the markets work but seemed odd yesterday that SSN were saying he was the overwhelming favourite and Adkins was Favourite on skybet at the time they reported it. I thought they were doing it to get more cash.

I could be completely wrong.

If you don't believe it look who much money has been matched on Betfair - about £40k in a market that has been up for, what, a week.
There's £1m+ matched on most horse races every day in this country - I'm not talking about The Grand National either - this would be for selling plate at Wolverhampton.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here