Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet and the legends wall?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
but like that we do not know what was said by the other side do we??????

Doesn't matter what was said, you cannot excuse violence like that. Or are you condoning it?

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Would you not say there are any more deserving managers?

Well, I'm in my mid-thirties and so I am perhaps not as qualified to answer that as some of the older correspondents. However, my earliest recollections are during Alan Mullery's second spell in charge rather than his glorious first, but I suppose he would be the obvious alternative.

In my time though, I would personally regard Gus Poyet as the best manager that Brighton have had and regardless of the acrimonious circumstances in which it appears inevitable that his tenure will reach its conclusion, Brighton progressed from lower mid-table in League One to the play-offs in the Championship under his watch and have drawn the best attendances outside of the Premier League. Not all of that is down to him of course, but without his contribution, Brighton's progress in the last 4 years would not have been as rapid or as lofty as it has turned out, in my opinion. So on that basis, yes he is there on merit.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
In terms of achievement, Mullery deserves his place on the wall more than Poyet. By the end of his third season in charge Mullery had led Brighton to the top flight and then helped to keep them there for two seasons. An unparalleled period of success.

Miffy

Jun 18, 2013
Does a club legend have to be someone that played for the club then? I mean, say just for argument's sake, Nottingham Forest decided to have a legend's wall if they left the City Ground and moved to a new stadium, using your criteria, that would mean there wouldn't be a place for Brian Clough. And that wouldn't be right really.

No. But if they had a wall that was set aside by the club to exclusively show players, plus the current manager, with recognition for historical significance elsewhere within the stadium it would be. Because he wouldn't fit that area. He'd fit the other area. Because he wasn't a player. And being deceased he's definitely not the current manager.

However if Nottingham Forest wished to set a different criteria and declare it as a "legends" wall, which ours has never actually been, then I'm sure they would set their own criteria without having their fans worrying about whether its what Brighton would do ;)

As I've made clear whether Gus should be recognised elsewhere is a separate question. On that particular area it shows the current manager and players representing specific events. He is currently there as the manager - he is not there as a player to represent specific events. If or when he leaves I assume the current managers spot will be updated. It is not as a sign of disrespect over his achievements with us. It's simply because it is no longer relevant for that area.

Should his unique place in the extensive history of the club be recognised elsewhere? Yes ... and it is. He is etched in the fricking bar in Dick's Bar ffs - I don't think the club will be removing that over the weekend do you?!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Well, I'm in my mid-thirties and so I am perhaps not as qualified to answer that as some of the older correspondents. However, my earliest recollections are during Alan Mullery's second spell in charge rather than his glorious first, but I suppose he would be the obvious alternative.

In my time though, I would personally regard Gus Poyet as the best manager that Brighton have had and regardless of the acrimonious circumstances in which it appears inevitable that his tenure will reach its conclusion, Brighton progressed from lower mid-table in League One to the play-offs in the Championship under his watch and have drawn the best attendances outside of the Premier League. Not all of that is down to him of course, but without his contribution, Brighton's progress in the last 4 years would not have been as rapid or as lofty as it has turned out, in my opinion. So on that basis, yes he is there on merit.

On that basis grealish, case, ward and co should be removed?! They all played before you started watching the Albion! Sorry, your logic isn't making much sense to me but each to their own.

Miffy

Jun 18, 2013
Ok I'm going to tackle this from another angle to see if it helps understand it.

It has been made clear by the club that the wall in question is NOT, and has never been, a legends wall but represents iconic moments in our history ON the pitch as depicted by images of PLAYERS and a space has been included for the current manager, as stated on it.

I am more than happy to accept Gus should be included within that criteria after he ceases to qualify for the current manager part of that. If any of you would please like to clarify for me which iconic moment Gus represents ON the pitch as a Brighton PLAYER?

Alternatively how about if we let the eventual new manager (whether that be now or 5 years time) take their rightful place in that spot and we recognise Gus's place in our history elsewhere in line with the way that others of similar status have been recognised. Anyone who has done the full stadium tour can confirm that there are plenty of other places where he's very present.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
On that basis grealish, case, ward and co should be removed?! They all played before you started watching the Albion! Sorry, your logic isn't making much sense to me but each to their own.

Eh? Where did I say that if you played before I started watching football that you couldn't be eligible for a place on the wall? That clearly would be crazy given that we are talking about a club formed in 1901.

You asked me a question about did I think that there were other more deserving managers. All I said was that I wasn't around at the time to fully appreciate the achievements of Alan Mullery who is regarded by many as Brighton's best ever manager and who is the only manager hitherto to get Brighton promoted to the top flight. On the basis of that achievement, he is the benchmark until someone else emulates that.

All I was saying was that I can't really offer a major appraisal of him or other good managers before him because I wasn't born or wasn't watching football at the time. And so if someone was asking me who I felt was the best manager of Brighton in my time, I'd have to say that based on football since 1986, I would choose Gus Poyet. You may disagree with that opinion but based on how Brighton have progressed under him and he has transformed their style of play, that is who I would choose, although there have been other notable managers in the past 25 years. If I am judging on what has gone before, I can only do so on the basis of history books or what other people who were around at the time told me.

By the same token, if someone was to ask me who the best player is that has played for Arsenal, Liverpool or Manchester United, it would be difficult for me to definitively say it was Liam Brady, Kenny Dalglish and George Best respectively because I have only seen those players second hand via the odd bits of TV and video footage (I do remember the tailend of Dalglish's Liverpool career as it goes). I fully expect those would be the players that would come out on top, but I can only really provide a qualified answer on the players in my own era.

In any event, does there need to be a quota on how many managers there are on a 'legends' wall? If you have made a difference in a positive way, I think that is reason enough whether you managed the club or played for it. It's a nice gesture and shows that the club appreciates those contributions, which shows the club in a good way to the outside world.

Last edited:

Miffy

Jun 18, 2013
Should his unique place in the extensive history of the club be recognised elsewhere? Yes ... and it is. He is etched in the fricking bar in Dick's Bar ffs - I don't think the club will be removing that over the weekend do you?!

Etched in the GLASS in Dick's Bar ... No idea where etched in the bar came from. Then again I shouldn't be surprised as by this stage I am losing the will to live. I'll probably type anything now. Total gibberish can come out and I'd be left unable to raise my head to care. All life beaten out of me. Vibrant energy gone. Bereft. Alone. Surrounded by cats ....

:drink::drink::wozza::cry::shootself

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371855212.107273.jpg
Guess i'll have to wait and see what the charges are before committing. If Gus has to go now so be it and Long live his successor. But a 500 page dossier of his misdemeanours sounds pretty damning but it will have to be something pretty bad for me to say his portrait has to come down

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
If there were such a wall then Gus would have no place but on it. First game, on telly, Southampton away. We had changed in no time at all. He did something to the players and that little sprinkle of magic can often not be named or identifiable. The man had it though and players were transformed immediately into something triple of themselves. I like to think with our stadium in place and as pretty as a penny that we'll never be so speedily dragged from the depths again, so whoever comes in with find it tough to tackle the heroic status and outdo it. The Premier League is half-expected, so how can someone come in and astonish us so with his ways and the circumstances he found himself in. Legend.

Miffy

Jun 18, 2013
See there's a picture to prove it and everything!

"Gus Poyet. Manager."

God its a sexy picture. Maybe we SHOULD leave it. Although ... Bugger that's going to be confusing the day that a new manager comes in isn't it? (Whenever that may be)

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
See there's a picture to prove it and everything!

"Gus Poyet. Manager."

God its a sexy picture. Maybe we SHOULD leave it. Although ... Bugger that's going to be confusing the day that a new manager comes in isn't it? (Whenever that may be)

Wouldn't really be difficult to just add an insert after manager to say 2009-2013 in order to avoid confusion.

Miffy

Jun 18, 2013
No it wouldn't be difficult at all. If his departure is anything other than a very amicable one though do you want to ask Bloom if he'll pay for it? ???

Makes the point about what that particular wall is though doesn't it - which is what I've been harping on about. If there was a legends wall there could be a debate about whether he should be on it. You've been arguing that he's there in recognition of his achievement and that shouldn't be removed. The picture makes it clear that's not the case.

Game.

Set.

Match.

:O:wink:

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
No it wouldn't be difficult at all. If his departure is anything other than a very amicable one though do you want to ask Bloom if he'll pay for it? ???

Makes the point about what that particular wall is though doesn't it - which is what I've been harping on about. If there was a legends wall there could be a debate about whether he should be on it. You've been arguing that he's there in recognition of his achievement and that shouldn't be removed. The picture makes it clear that's not the case.

Game.

Set.

Match.

:O:wink:

He's there because he happens to be the incumbent manager and was the incumbent manager at the point at which the stadium opened. That's a no-brainer. Whoever is the next manager will get their place because they are incumbent manager. Nonetheless, if the 'wall' is there as a celebration of achievement and to chronicle the history of the club, acrimonious exit or not, Poyet's omission when he presided over a significant upturn in fortunes following on from many years of gloom and uncertainty would be churlish and would be ignoring a critical part in the club's recent history. That is all.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Why replace gus on the legends wall? Despite the fact that I've been in the Gus out camp since the defeat to Watford, I still think he remains best manager we've had in 25 - 30 years. Don't forget we were heading for league 2 when he took over, the turnaround that season was nothing short of a miracle. For me, whatever has happened between Gus and The Albion, he has earned his place on the wall.

I must concur with this too !!!!

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
It should stay...he did great things for us....including highest finish for 30 years
Changed the way we play, and gave us some wonderful games
Anyone who has lived through the bad times must appreciate this
I agree he should go now, but don't let us forget his contribution
This but what about Mullers? He has to be on there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here