Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet and the legends wall?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Except Gus had a new stadium, much bigger budget to work with than previous managers and 30k crowds behind him

Peter Taylor got us promoted to the championship and kept us there for a couple of seasons on a 300k team. Some of you need to take the Gus tinted spectacles off, it's cringey... Gus played a role, he wasn't the be all and end all.

Other managers had good budgets previously (Mullery) and why do you think 30K turned up to watch Poyet's team? Nobody has said he was the be all and end all. Take off your turd tinged specs and realise that he did give a lot to the Albion. It's over now but don't denigrate what he achieved which will remain in the history books for a long time. Just two examples, highest points total ever and longest at the top of the division. That's before he spent any money.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Except Gus had a new stadium, much bigger budget to work with than previous managers and 30k crowds behind him

Peter Taylor got us promoted to the championship and kept us there for a couple of seasons on a 300k team. Some of you need to take the Gus tinted spectacles off, it's cringey... Gus played a role, he wasn't the be all and end all.

Another good post. Problem you have on here that alot weren't around in the 80's, early 90's. These poyet lovers have tunnel vision.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Except Gus had a new stadium

Peter Taylor got us promoted to the championship and kept us there for a couple of seasons on a 300k team.

Gus started at Withdean and got us promoted there. Don't you remember?

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof

I should imagine Wolves had a fairly decent budget, 20+K attendance for home matches and a decent stadium - how did that work out for them? What's the difference?

Aug 23, 2011

You could also argue that new stadia are sometimes a negative. Didn't Southampton and arsenal struggle to get results when they first moved? Darlington had a new stadium recently, working well for them isn't it.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Poyet IMO been the best manager since Mullery ,therefore a true Brighton legend.The fact that he is (was! ) one of the longest serving manager in the country adds to my argument !!!!

Miffy

Jun 18, 2013
If Gus had input to the dressing rooms why did he give the away team such a big one? I would have given them the box room.

Because there are minimum requirements set by the FA, or whoever set the stadium regulations/requirements

Miffy

Jun 18, 2013
Micky Adams, Peter Taylor, Mark McGhee all did very well with nothing - perhaps even legendary in their own ways - but what Gus has done over 3 and half seasons trumps all of them, despite having a mid table budget.

There's reason it's called the 1901 Club not the *pick a year around the 90s* Club

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
You could also argue that new stadia are sometimes a negative. Didn't Southampton and arsenal struggle to get results when they first moved? Darlington had a new stadium recently, working well for them isn't it.

I agree, but Gus had a lot on his side when he took the job and the momentum was already moving in the right direction with new stadium, player bankroll etc and felt Gus rode the wave well rather than being responsible for the wave itself (If that makes sense?)

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Think it would be pretty churlish to take him off the Legends wall considering that he was a big reason that when Brighton played their first match at the stadium, they did so as a Championship club rather than as a League One club.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Think it would be pretty churlish to take him off the Legends wall considering that he was a big reason that when Brighton played their first match at the stadium, they did so as a Championship club rather than as a League One club.

This. But until we know why the club have taken the action that they have ( if it was detrimental to the good name and image of the club then it should go) then there is absolutely no reason for it to be removed.

Aug 23, 2011
I agree, but Gus had a lot on his side when he took the job and the momentum was already moving in the right direction with new stadium, player bankroll etc and felt Gus rode the wave well rather than being responsible for the wave itself (If that makes sense?)

I know what you mean however when he joined the wave wasn't exactly big fighting a relegation battle. He got decent backing but not that much cash until we got promoted and by that stage he had got the spine of the team.

Miffy

Jun 18, 2013
Other managers had good budgets previously (Mullery) and why do you think 30K turned up to watch Poyet's team? Nobody has said he was the be all and end all. Take off your turd tinged specs and realise that he did give a lot to the Albion. It's over now but don't denigrate what he achieved which will remain in the history books for a long time. Just two examples, highest points total ever and longest at the top of the division. That's before he spent any money.

Not adding him to the legends wall does not denigrate his achievements - it puts it in context in its place in our history. McGhee's promotion was absolutely crucial to our survival as without the additional money it brought us the club may not have survived. Steve Gritt took over at a time when most managers wouldnt touch us with a barge pole and stopped us going into oblivion. Micky Adams & Peter Taylor achieved back to back promotion resulting in motions being raised in Parliament to congratulate the club and raise our profile which was crucial to the stadium fight. Taylor & Coppell brought on a young Bobby Zamora and helped him become a valuable asset, the sale proceeds of which helped the club avoid financial ruin for another season. Even Dean Wilkins played his part in accepting the role in a way that saved us significant amounts of money. That's without even touching on the roles played by various people in the negotiations to remove the old board etc

Are all of these less significant to the club because they didn't result in points or league position? Gus did a good job which is recognised throughout the club but he did not do it out of the goodness of his heart. Gus has done the job that he has been paid a significant salary to do and it would be naive to believe he would have done so wit our club unless it was mutually beneficial.

How about if we agree that I won't change history to denigrate what he has achieved if you don't change history to give that achievement more significance in the history of the club than it deserves when seen in context?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Good post. My all time Legend is Steve Gritt because with out what he done in 96 then we wouldn't be posting on here. I think Gus thinks we have always been a tinpot club till he arrived, I don't think he realizes how big we were and are before he joined. Gus only ever known Chelsea, Liverpool etc.

Gus thinks he got us where we are because of him and but in reality if we had our staduim years ago then Gus would never have been our manager, he owes us not the other way round.

Gus is no legend in my book, never has been and never will be. Steve Gritt, Mark Mcgee, Jimmy melia are worthy of that tiltle before Mister I am God.

Blimey are you for real?

D

Deleted member 2719

Because there are minimum requirements set by the FA, or whoever set the stadium regulations/requirements

Well a kitman of a Prem club told me personally that our away dressing room was one of the biggest he had ever visited, in his words were 'the AMEX away dressing room is massive'. He could not understand why.

By box room i mean't the smallest you can get away with.

Miffy

Jun 18, 2013

You are right that winning the League should be recognised on the wall at some point and I imagine it eventually will be. With the inclusion of one of the PLAYERS who achieved it ... in line with the rest of the wall

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here