Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet and the legends wall?

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
To be fair, if Poyet thought Brighton were a 'tinpot club' as Footsoldier described, I don't think he would have ever accepted the job in the first place. He took the job because he saw the potential of the club to be upwardly mobile with a new stadium to go to and that this in turn would be conducive to his own career progression.

Miffy

Jun 18, 2013
Well a kitman of a Prem club told me personally that our away dressing room was one of the biggest he had ever visited, in his words were 'the AMEX away dressing room is massive'. He could not understand why.

By box room i mean't the smallest you can get away with.

Wasn't being glib, its the information we were given when I did the stadium tour. We were told it was set by the requirements for new stadium for us to meet not only FA but UEFA and international standards. Maybe its something to do with the multi use of the stadium that other sports have different requirements? Or just that its the newest stadium in England so the first one to fall under the rules? No idea :)

D

Deleted member 2719

Wasn't being glib, its the information we were given when I did the stadium tour. We were told it was set by the requirements for new stadium for us to meet not only FA but UEFA and international standards. Maybe its something to do with the multi use of the stadium that other sports have different requirements? Or just that its the newest stadium in England so the first one to fall under the rules? No idea :)

Fair enough.

I hate the FA and UEFA they spoil all the fun of football.:tantrum:

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Gus is an Albion legend for me but I didn't part with £100 mil +, probably pissed TB off a bit so his call I suppose :)

Miffy

Jun 18, 2013
Fair enough.

I hate the FA and UEFA they spoil all the fun of football.:tantrum:

It's ok cos we were also told that we have to have a particular specification of indoor warm up pitch for the away team ... But it doesn't say that the groundsman has to be able to find the key :angel:

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think he should stay, BUT it does instantly put the new man obviously in his shadow from day 1.

So, replace Leon Knight with Gus, and put the new man up where Gus is now.

Miffy

Jun 18, 2013
Ok I'm going to say this once more only as it doesn't seem to be getting through .... The wall is made up of iconic players capturing significant moments that have occurred on the pitch with the addition of the current manager. HE'S NOT, AND HAS NEVER BEEN, A PLAYER!!!

Please tell me at least one other person gets this?

No? ... :shootself

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Ok I'm going to say this once more only as it doesn't seem to be getting through .... The wall is made up of iconic players capturing significant moments that have occurred on the pitch with the addition of the current manager. HE'S NOT, AND HAS NEVER BEEN, A PLAYER!!!

Please tell me at least one other person gets this?

No? ... :shootself

Does a club legend have to be someone that played for the club then? I mean, say just for argument's sake, Nottingham Forest decided to have a legend's wall if they left the City Ground and moved to a new stadium, using your criteria, that would mean there wouldn't be a place for Brian Clough. And that wouldn't be right really.

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
In 6 months time when this nasty mess is sorted, people will remember Gus for the good things he has done for the club and he will have a deserved place in our history.

100% this.

I feel no animosity whatsoever towards Gus. It's just a pity it had to all end like this. As said, in time he will be fondly remembered for all the good he has done.

Those on the anti Gus bandwagon need their heads testing.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
100% this.

I feel no animosity whatsoever towards Gus. It's just a pity it had to all end like this. As said, in time he will be fondly remembered for all the good he has done.

Absolutely this.

Its a shame that things have ended in the mess that they have, but I have thoroughly enjoyed the last three and a half years and bear him no ill will whatsoever.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Gus started at Withdean and got us promoted there. Don't you remember?

He did it with the backing of a rich chairman which the other Withdean managers didn't have. Also, the others were working on the promise of a new stadium whereas Gus knew it was being built and the momentum that generated in itself.

Except Gus had a new stadium, much bigger budget to work with than previous managers and 30k crowds behind him

Peter Taylor got us promoted to the championship and kept us there for a couple of seasons on a 300k team. Some of you need to take the Gus tinted spectacles off, it's cringey... Gus played a role, he wasn't the be all and end all.

Peter Taylor got us promoted and walked, never managed us in the 2nd tier. McGhee got us promoted and we stayed up for two years.

In all probability we would still be playing League One football in a 3/4 full stadium of a capacity of 23,000 if it wasn't for Gus. You're right, because Poyet was the only person who could have got us promoted. No other manager has done it before!!! :facepalm:

New or big stadiums do not equate to success - plenty of examples in League One of this. I would not say my admiration of Gus' achievements at this club is any way rose tinted, but rational. He did phenomenally well, exceeded all expectations every season, how can you possibly deny that?! No other club had the experience we had of a temporary home 60 miles away and 10 years in a cobbled together council stadium. They all moved from their historic homes straight into a new stadium.

Micky Adams, Peter Taylor, Mark McGhee all did very well with nothing - perhaps even legendary in their own ways - but what Gus has done over 3 and half seasons trumps all of them, despite having a mid table budget.

Poyet IMO been the best manager since Mullery ,therefore a true Brighton legend.The fact that he is (was! ) one of the longest serving manager in the country adds to my argument !!!!
3 and half years, hardly an advert in the real world for longevity.

Well a kitman of a Prem club told me personally that our away dressing room was one of the biggest he had ever visited, in his words were 'the AMEX away dressing room is massive'. He could not understand why.

By box room i mean't the smallest you can get away with.

If you want to host international matches then the rules dictate that the facilities must be the same for both teams.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
100% this.

Maybe part of the reason people have turned against him could be the frustration of the potential he is walking away from. Now before the gus bus brigade jump on that comment, he should have managed situations better, eg the Suarez comments, the post palace interview, talk of moving to bigger clubs etc. You don't always say what is on your mind, any one who has been clothes shopping with their wife knows that only too well.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I struggle to understand why Gus is up there when our better managers aren't. I guess it's because he's always been good at the art of PR - probably demanded it knowing his ego. But then again, Leon Knights up there so clearly it's not a legends walk of fame, perhaps they just wanted to connect with younger fans.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
I struggle to understand why Gus is up there when our better managers aren't.

Because he was manager of Brighton at the point at which they moved into the new stadium. And he was in charge and therefore chiefly responsible for them being promoted and starting life at the new stadium in the Championship. He was in the right place at the right time and his deeds backed things up.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
100% this.

Why does it have to be black or white? We can remember the good times but equally I'm not going to forget the Suarez incident, some bad as well as excellent signings or the constant tarting around other clubs and obviously the Palace fiasco. On balance he's been a great manager for us but its been somewhat soured and a bit like zidanes parting headbutt, it's really detracted from what should have been a great legacy. I just hope he gets that, but clearly with a massive ego, not sure he will. If he goes on to be a massive success elsewhere then he doesn't need to. But if like Leon Knight...

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Because he was manager of Brighton at the point at which they moved into the new stadium. And he was in charge and therefore chiefly responsible for them being promoted and starting life at the new stadium in the Championship. He was in the right place at the right time and his deeds backed things up.

Would you not say there are any more deserving managers?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Why does it have to be black or white? We can remember the good times but equally I'm not going to forget the Suarez incident, some bad as well as excellent signings or the constant tarting around other clubs and obviously the Palace fiasco. On balance he's been a great manager for us but its been somewhat soured and a bit like zidanes parting headbutt, it's really detracted from what should have been a great legacy. I just hope he gets that, but clearly with a massive ego, not sure he will. If he goes on to be a massive success elsewhere then he doesn't need to. But if like Leon Knight...

but like that we do not know what was said by the other side do we??????

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here