Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet and the legends wall?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Well said

Also he has played a big part in the new stadium, training ground and general setup. Whatever happens he will leave a legacy.

What big part. He had some input into some of the interior design that affected the team but you can hardly call that a big part. Sounds like your suggesting he had one of the biggest roles in the new stadium. I very much suspect that a lot of the 'fan' luxury, eg padded seats, would have been different and the savings spent on the team!!! As regards general setup, what involvement has he had? His role is (sorry, was!) to do with the team and that's it.

As for him staying as a legend, I doubt that, bearing in mind the manner of the departure, I doubt if TB will want Poyet outside the main stand in full view whenever he looks out of the boardroom!!! Removing him from there won't diminish what was achieved prior to the departure. There are plenty of others that should be there anyway.

Richard Tiltmans Shin Pad

Rustingtons' Mr Guiness
Jan 10, 2012
North Stand, Row Q
Whatever people say about Leon Knight, you can't argue that his goals and especially his successful penalty kick in the play-off final helped us to promotion in 2004. Those feats alone warrant his place.

Whatever your opinion is of Gus Poyet, his achievement in getting the Albion to the position that we are today is nothing (compared to where we were) is nothing short of a miracle.

Totally agree. With both points. Was trying to understand the OP's motives tiz all.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What big part. He had some input into some of the interior design that affected the team but you can hardly call that a big part. Sounds like your suggesting he had one of the biggest roles in the new stadium. I very much suspect that a lot of the 'fan' luxury, eg padded seats, would have been different and the savings spent on the team!!! As regards general setup, what involvement has he had? His role is (sorry, was!) to do with the team and that's it.

As for him staying as a legend, I doubt that, bearing in mind the manner of the departure, I doubt if TB will want Poyet outside the main stand in full view whenever he looks out of the boardroom!!! Removing him from there won't diminish what was achieved prior to the departure. There are plenty of others that should be there anyway.
The boardroom doesn't face that direction.
Poyet had a lot of input into the design of the dressing rooms, where his office was placed, the designs of the two corridors leading to the tunnel, and the size of the pitch. He also had an input into the training ground.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It should stay...he did great things for us....including highest finish for 30 years
Changed the way we play, and gave us some wonderful games
Anyone who has lived through the bad times must appreciate this
I agree he should go now, but don't let us forget his contribution

Precisely right.

But we should add Alan Mullery and Steve Gritt

EDIT:
Actually: Pat Saward, Billy Lane and Archie Macauley as well

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I am convinced Gus's legacy will be tainted by that Palace defeat and the air of missed opportunity that will forever be linked with last season.

Contending for the play-offs is where a club of this stature with a chairman like Bloom should be, and is where it would probably be with any other half-decent manager in charge.

Good manager yes, truly great manager not yet. Barry Lloyd got us further than Gus FFS.

Miffy

Jun 18, 2013
If you look at it properly Gus isn't on there for llegend or achievement recognition - that space is current manager.

From my point of view of achievement no disrespect but he took us into the Championship ... As did McGhee with far less resources, money or facilities at his disposal. He nearly got us to the premiership ... Which effectively Alan Mullery actually achieved. Neither manager are on the wall.

Nor are others who have achieved as much ... Adams, Taylor, even Jimmy Melia got us to Wembley. Gus may one day end up as a legend and be recognised as such but its too early to judge until a significant number of others have been given the same opportunities that he has and had their results compared.

Gus has us playing fantastic football and I'm not saying he hasn't achieved with us from where we were when he took over but other managers achievements have been as big in their own way and on that basis I think it would be wrong to add him to the wall outside. There are a number of areas inside the club which will presumably be permanent as they have different reasons for being there and they will quite rightly mark his time as being the first manager at the Amex and his role in that part of our history.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Precisely right.

But we should add Alan Mullery and Steve Gritt

l

I suspect the affection for Mullers and Gritt will live on longer than it will for Gus. I don't feel strongly either way about Gus being on the legends wall but not many Brighton managers have had anything like the resources he was given, so his achievements need to be seen in that context.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Poyet had a lot of input into the design of the dressing rooms, where his office was placed, the designs of the two corridors leading to the tunnel, and the size of the pitch. He also had an input into the training ground.

I didn't say he didn't have an input, just that he didn't have a big input. As for the pitch, that's hardly a big decision. They can make it wide or narrow but whatever it is within the space provided. He hardly decided that the pitch should be wider therefore they had to change the whole design to make the north and south stands wider!!! Also, did he actually design the areas you mentioned or was he given various options to chose from, based on research by others as I understood that Martin Perry and his team went to a lot of other new grounds to see what worked and what didn't.

As for the legends, TB can do what he likes. The only person there to have fallen out with him will be Poyet! Look what Ashley has done at Newcastle. Shearer criticises the club and then wonders why they rename the bar that was named after him! It may seem petty but then if you own a club you can do pretty much what you like. How's the Cardiff red protest going these days!

Miffy

Jun 18, 2013

I have a friend who had quite a bit of input to some of the artwork in one of the concourses. Maybe we could add him too?

Having the current manager there always has the risk of polarising opinion and I've always thought it was a mistake. In terms of their place in our recent history and its significance to where we are now I'd be happier putting Tony Bloom in its place. Dick Knight has a very visible recognition of his role but due to the class of Bloom there is very little publicly visible to recognise his role and it would remove this whole argument in the future?

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Considering what he's done for us I'd think he'd be right up there near the top of the list. Get rid of gash like Leon Knight first! Just because we don't want him any more doesn't mean he didn't do a good job and didn't have a part in turning the club around!

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Monkey Man;5780171 not many Brighton managers have had anything like the resources he was given said:
Mullery was backed to the hilt by Mike Bamber, we certainly threw the cash about in those days. The £200,000 we paid for Maybank was the record transfer fee between two 2nd tier clubs. Not that I'm trying to belittle Mullery's achievement but it was cheque book success

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
If you look at it properly Gus isn't on there for llegend or achievement recognition - that space is current manager.

From my point of view of achievement no disrespect but he took us into the Championship ... As did McGhee with far less resources, money or facilities at his disposal. He nearly got us to the premiership ... Which effectively Alan Mullery actually achieved. Neither manager are on the wall.

Nor are others who have achieved as much ... Adams, Taylor, even Jimmy Melia got us to Wembley. Gus may one day end up as a legend and be recognised as such but its too early to judge until a significant number of others have been given the same opportunities that he has and had their results compared.

Gus has us playing fantastic football and I'm not saying he hasn't achieved with us from where we were when he took over but other managers achievements have been as big in their own way and on that basis I think it would be wrong to add him to the wall outside. There are a number of areas inside the club which will presumably be permanent as they have different reasons for being there and they will quite rightly mark his time as being the first manager at the Amex and his role in that part of our history.

Good post. My all time Legend is Steve Gritt because with out what he done in 96 then we wouldn't be posting on here. I think Gus thinks we have always been a tinpot club till he arrived, I don't think he realizes how big we were and are before he joined. Gus only ever known Chelsea, Liverpool etc.

Gus thinks he got us where we are because of him and but in reality if we had our staduim years ago then Gus would never have been our manager, he owes us not the other way round.

Gus is no legend in my book, never has been and never will be. Steve Gritt, Mark Mcgee, Jimmy melia are worthy of that tiltle before Mister I am God.

D

Deleted member 2719

If Gus had input to the dressing rooms why did he give the away team such a big one? I would have given them the box room.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
Gus is an absolute legend. He has overachieved every season he's been here. Out of the three league titles in recent times, his was the most classy - despite having taken over hopeless relegation fodder the season before.

Except Gus had a new stadium, much bigger budget to work with than previous managers and 30k crowds behind him

Peter Taylor got us promoted to the championship and kept us there for a couple of seasons on a 300k team. Some of you need to take the Gus tinted spectacles off, it's cringey... Gus played a role, he wasn't the be all and end all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here