Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter's Phenomenal Courage

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
It's tough to devalue wins that have very little value and no value, respectively.
You can't heap praise for the person ultimately responsible for "the shit we're in".

You talk of his innovation and courage at a moment in time when at best he's been in a fair fight and most recently punching down.

There's an awful lot of dross in the division and currently more is above the Albion than below.
Pooping the bed still outweighs champagne moments, but the future looks very exciting.

I don't know when the Chelsea game is but this innovative manager could possibly be punching up for the next 3 games, with an positive squad and busy opposition, bring it on.

With a surprising haul of points, more than one!!!, you get what you want, oodles of good will, climbing out of bottom 6, performances that match potential.

For me, at this precise moment in time any love in just smacks of 'Team of the 80's'.

Oh and in future would be so kind as to not tell a complete stranger.how he watches football, how that's wrong and how he should watch the game.

If you have read the OP, then maybe it's my fault you and maybe a couple of others are still misreading what was written as praise and a 'love-in'. I didn't think it was, it was about taking risks and having the courage to take them under pressure, not reverting to a hatches down and hope we get out of it like so many teams do, and pretty much us 18/19.

All I gave was my opinion on how you must watch a football match. Like any opinion, I can give it, whether to a stranger or not, if they don't like it, so be it. Ironically within the same post you are telling another stranger whether it is right or not to have an opinion on the manager at this time. Whether 9 games to go, or 2, whether 45 pts on the board, or 25, I'm quite happy to give my opinion and take yours on board.:thumbsup:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Exactly.

I'm all for sticking it to Junior et al, but for crying out loud do it from a position of strength don't just parrot their stance.

All this 'well I understand the long game' beard stroking bollox is exactly that.
I'm pretty sure relegation wasn't a part of the long game but 2 games ago we were in the mix, and are still in the conversation.

We get all of this on the back of an enforced halftime change against a poor Southampton and 3 points from 11 fellas down from Geordieland, who calling a team would be an insult to every other team in the land.
Even that result required some fairly pathetic mindgames.

If the Potteristas' want to dig out the Negative Nerys' at least wait until the team has taken 2 or 3 points from Utd, Chelsea & City.
If they want to tell us how courageous he is, come back when that haul is 4+ points.

As it stands, as you say, in a couple of weeks courage will be completely forgotten in favour of a return to the bingo caller.

You think that will help? Not exactly a distant memory the period of 6 unbeaten, 4 clean sheets in a row, victories over Leeds, Spurs and Liverpool. Didn't take long for that run to be forgotten :lol:

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I'm just amazed that it took 31 posts before "Swanny" got his dodger out and started pumping!!!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It's tough to devalue wins that have very little value and no value, respectively.
You can't heap praise for the person ultimately responsible for "the shit we're in".

You talk of his innovation and courage at a moment in time when at best he's been in a fair fight and most recently punching down.

There's an awful lot of dross in the division and currently more is above the Albion than below.
Pooping the bed still outweighs champagne moments, but the future looks very exciting.

I don't know when the Chelsea game is but this innovative manager could possibly be punching up for the next 3 games, with an positive squad and busy opposition, bring it on.

With a surprising haul of points, more than one!!!, you get what you want, oodles of good will, climbing out of bottom 6, performances that match potential.

For me, at this precise moment in time any love in just smacks of 'Team of the 80's'.

Oh and in future would be so kind as to not tell a complete stranger.how he watches football, how that's wrong and how he should watch the game.

Other than taking massiv steps in the relegation battle, but I guess that got "no value" in "why are we not in the Champions League" minds. Newcastle were unbeaten for three straight games before the Brighton game, it is by no means a guaranteed win. All teams in the PL would also be excellent if they did not have opponents to play against, a team playing poorly is always partly because the other team makes them do it.

In fact there is no guaranteed wins in this league and saying "theres an awful lot of dross in the league" when its the best one in the world... then I suppose its always a lot of dross in every league every year?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You think that will help? Not exactly a distant memory the period of 6 unbeaten, 4 clean sheets in a row, victories over Leeds, Spurs and Liverpool. Didn't take long for that run to be forgotten :lol:

In fairness when the team (and manager) crapped all over that positivity they did it from a great height after eating a vindaloo.

By the time they'd finished it looked like a bed Spud had slept in.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Exactly. Not to mention last season where GP got a club record points total. All whilst playing the best football some of our younger fans have ever seen the Albion play.

It’s sadly quite telling how a good hearted positive thread can attract negativity here from a few. Seen that a few times and have personal experience.

Unfortunately there are always some people who just prefer to whinge, moan and see the negative.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Disagree. I think there are probably maturity and confidence issues that need to be resolved.

But, his all round game is pretty good, he finds himself in brilliant positions and has got pace to burn. His ‘right place-right time’ radar is Premier League level but his finishing is League Two at the moment.

A prescription of one Championship loan season with a team like Fulham with at least one goal every 180mins should do the lad the world of good!
Not sure about that all his goals scored are reasonably similar, cut inside and shoot. Whenever the question has been asked of him to score from a different situation it’s so far failed. I agree a loan move could be productive trouble with a championship loan is now finding a club willing to pay his wages.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't believe this for one second. I may not always have believed in Potter but I think Bloom has.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...ger-Graham-Potter-faces-inquest-Brighton.html

My guess would be that an End of Season Review will take place, as it would whatever the final league placing. With a collaborative approach of; what can we do to take strides forward this summer in terms of squad changes and next season?

Confirming something I learnt through a near lifetime of following football ..... ignore the sports pages of the tabloids, they lie and guess.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
My guess would be that an End of Season Review will take place, as it would whatever the final league placing. With a collaborative approach of; what can we do to take strides forward this summer in terms of squad changes and next season?

Confirming something I learnt through a near lifetime of following football ..... ignore the sports pages of the tabloids, they lie and guess.

I thought that is what happens every year. I always got the impression Graham Potters job is one of the safest jobs around. I'm sure your right about the tabloids.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I thought that is what happens every year. I always got the impression Graham Potters job is one of the safest jobs around. I'm sure your right about the tabloids.

I realise TB could surprise us again with a sacking.

But to me everything points to enhancing what GP has to work with. Player togetherness, win or lose, for example appears in a good place.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
I realise TB could surprise us again with a sacking.

But to me everything points to enhancing what GP has to work with. Player togetherness, win or lose, for example appears in a good place.

I'm not 100% convinced by him, but I do think so far in 2021 he has done nothing wrong. If Bloom can hold of sacking him after our 2020 results, I wouldn't really understand sacking him in the summer based on how we have been so far this year.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm not 100% convinced by him, but I do think so far in 2021 he has done nothing wrong. If Bloom can hold of sacking him after our 2020 results, I wouldn't really understand sacking him in the summer based on how we have been so far this year.

I completely understand reticence over GP with long winless runs.

But I’m overall a supporter, I think we may be on the verge of something special by our modest historical standards, given some squad enhancements this summer. Plus I like the style of football.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
I completely understand reticence over GP with long winless runs.

But I’m overall a supporter, I think we may be on the verge of something special by our modest historical standards, given some squad enhancements this summer. Plus I like the style of football.

I don't disagree with that, but football works on such small margins that it can go either way. I love the way the club is set up, and Graham Potter in the most part fits in very nicely.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't disagree with that, but football works on such small margins that it can go either way. I love the way the club is set up, and Graham Potter in the most part fits in very nicely.

In the many bad times this season, I’ve described our EPL existence as balancing on a knife-edge.

Counter intuitively, I think fans worry more than cool Tony Bloom.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's going to take Phenomenal Courage to go in to an end of season roundup with Tony Bloom.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't believe this for one second. I may not always have believed in Potter but I think Bloom has.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...ger-Graham-Potter-faces-inquest-Brighton.html

Unbelievably stupid on every level - again I ask 'who says comedy is dead?'

Can you imagine if this were true:-

Mr Bloom - What are you plans to take us forward?
Mr Potter - I believe in the process and will continue to promote youth
Mr Bloom - That's not really worked so far?
Mr Potter - Why don't you sell Bissouma & Sanchez, pocket the £100m+ profit?
Mr Bloom - So what's next on the agenda?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

My thoughts too. Seems prudent and fairly standard to review and take stock at the end of the year. Am sure as a successful businessman this is fairly typical for most of Tony Blooms ventures. What can we improve/do better, how are we doing with our long term goals, any problems, can I help you sort of thing.

Give the utterly bizarre football landscape we’ve had this season due to covid, I don’t foresee any huge judgements being made. Especially if we stay up (which I’ve always been reasonably confident of).

Unlike Hughton’s final season, our performances have by and large been hugely encouraging in nearly every game. And I’m sure most of us are proud of and enjoy the way we play football right now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here