[Albion] Potter's Phenomenal Courage

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
Not really. Most of the Potter ins have had that stance even during bad runs. Mainly because some of us have seen the positive impact of the manager with the faith in youth, the tactical flexibility, the domination of teams and the style of play.

Like Tony and the clubs vision it’s all about the long term. Volatile short term results don’t change any of the above.

Don’t you realise, all that anything can ever be based on is the results of games according to some on NSC.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
These crunch games almost always finish as a draw or a 1-0 victory and are usually a lot more tense than they are exciting.

Potter’s courage and belief in his team and methods was extraordinary. His tactics were a different level to anything poor Bruce could cope with. There was an awful lot of sneering at Pep Guardiola when he declared Potter the best English manager; perhaps he knew what he was taking about?

The Potter Out Campaign will rumble on regardless but I really enjoyed the dissecting of tactics on the TogetherBHA podcast as [MENTION=37204]theviper[/MENTION] analysed the astonishing WM formation whilst mentioning it’s 1920’s routes.

d9b66a590680923c72403ed75eb3b509.png

I played centre forward up till 72/73 in that formation at school and for boys teams..... It should say centre half of course for the central defender........The much maligned W formation.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Lose a couple and there will be an opportunity for the “Potter’s Phenomenal Arrogance is taking us down” thread :wink:

Exactly! That is where I was coming from in a nutshell. Taking us down doing things his way and it's a big fail. Why not go the path many successful survival managers have taken instead of crazy things like strikers out wide etc. Huge risk when analysing teams that have consistently survived and the tactics they've commonly employed. So you are exactly right, that is the line that he is treading given our points total and current position.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Too early to be heaping praise on Potter. He was employed on understanding from Bloom playing style had to change. The moment he signed was made financially for life and was in a no lose situation. Dont forget up to 4 games ago we were goal difference away from bottom 3. No improvement on last season.. I will admit many times have said we have played well but lost and that it is better to be in trouble playing this way then previous. Who would have ever thought we needed a win at Liverpool to keep us out of trouble.
Whilst usually happy to watch win or lose, second half of season when desperate for a result is just not enjoyable watching. Especially the non defending at corners and having Burn defending wide left. Minor thing but would like him to be more punchy when interviewed. Still havent got over his comments after West Brom home game. One of very few when we were terrible and against poorest side I saw and all he said is how good opposition was

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I give it 1 lost game before we start saying he’s lost the pott again.

Exactly.

I'm all for sticking it to Junior et al, but for crying out loud do it from a position of strength don't just parrot their stance.

All this 'well I understand the long game' beard stroking bollox is exactly that.
I'm pretty sure relegation wasn't a part of the long game but 2 games ago we were in the mix, and are still in the conversation.

We get all of this on the back of an enforced halftime change against a poor Southampton and 3 points from 11 fellas down from Geordieland, who calling a team would be an insult to every other team in the land.
Even that result required some fairly pathetic mindgames.

If the Potteristas' want to dig out the Negative Nerys' at least wait until the team has taken 2 or 3 points from Utd, Chelsea & City.
If they want to tell us how courageous he is, come back when that haul is 4+ points.

As it stands, as you say, in a couple of weeks courage will be completely forgotten in favour of a return to the bingo caller.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Exactly.

I'm all for sticking it to Junior et al, but for crying out loud do it from a position of strength don't just parrot their stance.

All this 'well I understand the long game' beard stroking bollox is exactly that.
I'm pretty sure relegation wasn't a part of the long game but 2 games ago we were in the mix, and are still in the conversation.

We get all of this on the back of an enforced halftime change against a poor Southampton and 3 points from 11 fellas down from Geordieland, who calling a team would be an insult to every other team in the land.
Even that result required some fairly pathetic mindgames.

If the Potteristas' want to dig out the Negative Nerys' at least wait until the team has taken 2 or 3 points from Utd, Chelsea & City.
If they want to tell us how courageous he is, come back when that haul is 4+ points.

As it stands, as you say, in a couple of weeks courage will be completely forgotten in favour of a return to the bingo caller.

Read the thread again, it’s not praising GP as being a genius, or the best manager out there, it is acknowledging him trying to still be innovative and taking risks despite the pressure we are under. There isn’t a risk playing 2 CFs out wide against Newcastle if we already ave 40 pts on the board. Clearly there are failings finding ourselves where we are - also stated.

Why are you trying on multiple threads to continually polarise the argument? Read it again, it’s not actually heaping praise on GP, or some sycophantic love letter, it’s an acknowledgement that despite the shit we’re in, we can set up and play like we do with freedom and doing things differently.

Your devaluing of wins is also ridiculous. You have to beat what’s in front of you - something we’ve all to often failed to do, so don’t devalue a win when you do put a side to the sword.

You obviously struggle with football as an individual match, enjoyed on its own terms. A league game goes toward a total, but it is an event in its own right. Enjoy each game on their merits, not as a constant amalgamation of points. If the end goal is only ever the focus, then you’re never going to enjoy or appreciate the journey.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Yes OP.

To believe in and stick to his methods the way he does, especially in the face of some obscene luck and ridiculous results this season, takes huge belief

Notable also that we've attacked the top teams all season and not been thrashed once.

Also, a word must be said to the players. The bravery they've shown to stick to the methods even when they haven't worked is notable and shows togetherness. They know if they fail taking a risk, their manager will have their back, so again credit to GP for setting the right culture

If I could be bothered to go back and find it this was one of his central tenets presented in his first long interview after joining. It is to be hugely applauded.

It’s sentiments like this I truly believe will make us so attractive to the talented youth of today - go to Brighton, not only is it fair game for playing time whatever your age the manager coaches belief in spontaneity and calculated risk taking over tactical rigidity and boredom.

The guy is on the face of it truly unflappable which is so nice to see. Yes you can be upset as a fan about a perceived lack of passion in his interviews or on the touch line but ultimately you know he cares, you know he sends out his charges well prepared and drilled. I for one know what type of persona I want to instil a style and belief in that style in my players and it certainly isn’t some John Sitton type.... [https://youtu.be/rRCc4pfSld8]

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Very good [emoji23].

I think analysis of Potter in/out’ polls would be interesting..... broken down by individual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And don’t forget contrary to the same loud complainers that can skew perception, the vast majority of NSC voted in favour of the manager. Every. Single. Time.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Lamptey worries me, whilst this is his first significant injury, given the pace he runs at I wonder whether there will be ongoing issues.

See Robbens and Buckley.....

Me too for the same reason. Plus, imo, there were signs in his last three (-ish) games for us that the oppo had started to suss him out...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
And don’t forget contrary to the same loud complainers that can skew perception, the vast majority of NSC voted in favour of the manager. Every. Single. Time.

I may be wrong but I do remember one poll where about 40% voted OUT

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
They did double sometimes triple up on him. If we had someone equally as good on the left they couldn’t risk that tactic for long.

That's true. But we don't - Solly, while excellent, is currently crocked and, even when he isn't, doesn't have Tariq's sheer pace - and the oppo know that, meaning that they can continue to use that tactic to nullify him, at least for the moment.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Honest admission.

I've had one or two parenting challenges recently and my organising thought has been "how would Graham Potter handle this"?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I'll give you Buckley, but Robbens -- presumably, Arjen Robben -- he played for Bayern until he was about 35.

But throughout his career he had hamstring issues which is the point - averages 20 appearances a season.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Read the thread again, it’s not praising GP as being a genius, or the best manager out there, it is acknowledging him trying to still be innovative and taking risks despite the pressure we are under. There isn’t a risk playing 2 CFs out wide against Newcastle if we already ave 40 pts on the board. Clearly there are failings finding ourselves where we are - also stated.

Why are you trying on multiple threads to continually polarise the argument? Read it again, it’s not actually heaping praise on GP, or some sycophantic love letter, it’s an acknowledgement that despite the shit we’re in, we can set up and play like we do with freedom and doing things differently.

Your devaluing of wins is also ridiculous. You have to beat what’s in front of you - something we’ve all to often failed to do, so don’t devalue a win when you do put a side to the sword.

You obviously struggle with football as an individual match, enjoyed on its own terms. A league game goes toward a total, but it is an event in its own right. Enjoy each game on their merits, not as a constant amalgamation of points. If the end goal is only ever the focus, then you’re never going to enjoy or appreciate the journey.

It's tough to devalue wins that have very little value and no value, respectively.
You can't heap praise for the person ultimately responsible for "the shit we're in".

You talk of his innovation and courage at a moment in time when at best he's been in a fair fight and most recently punching down.

There's an awful lot of dross in the division and currently more is above the Albion than below.
Pooping the bed still outweighs champagne moments, but the future looks very exciting.

I don't know when the Chelsea game is but this innovative manager could possibly be punching up for the next 3 games, with an positive squad and busy opposition, bring it on.

With a surprising haul of points, more than one!!!, you get what you want, oodles of good will, climbing out of bottom 6, performances that match potential.

For me, at this precise moment in time any love in just smacks of 'Team of the 80's'.

Oh and in future would be so kind as to not tell a complete stranger.how he watches football, how that's wrong and how he should watch the game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports