Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter [NOT] at Chelsea

Potter at Chelsea

• I want him to fail

Votes: 365 48.2%
  • I want him to succeed

Votes: 73 9.6%
  • He's gone. I'm indifferent. Graham who?

Votes: 320 42.2%

• Total voters

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Annoyingly, he’s going to get another #teamslikebrighton into the top 10. It could be Leicester but he might go to somewhere like Palace or West Ham. Hopefully, he won’t take too many points off us in the future or perhaps even finish above us managing a club like Wolves or Southampton.
If said club crack our recruitment and are as patient as Bloom was then maybe

Brighton were very very good for Potter. He, and many others, just saw how good he was for us.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't know why you're all so surprised that this Bruno guy has stayed on as interim manager. I gather he's the assistant coach, and it's absolutely the norm for the assistant coach to stay on as interim manager to end the season or at least until they can sign another coach. The most recent example in the PL is Stellini at Tottenham, but we've had interim assistant coaches at Juve as well.

Anyway, I think given the talent they have in the squad Chelsea might experience a positive bounce from this sacking and from being more free to self-manage on the pitch (as I expect an assistant coach to be less precise/demanding with tactics.) I hope I'm wrong obviously, it's maliciously satisfying to laugh at them with all the money they spent.
Don't think it's surprise, more anger that he turned down that opportunity with us. Went from club legend to greedy twat.

Also that he's no experience, got the gig here due to his status at the club rather than coaching ability (none when he started coaching here 5 minutes ago). Shows how light chelsea are in their team.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
As someone above alluded too it'll affect the compensation payout from Chelsea if Potter went straight into another job! Also, he wouldn't want to be managing in the championship next season and perhaps, Potter is too good for a struggling Premier league side?. Yes, he failed at Chelsea but he'll believe he's got a point to prove and want a top 6 type job!
I can see him at Liverpool next season if Klopp decides a mutual exit, if not then Tottenham!
Just don’t think he has a chance in hell of managing a top six side.
For a start their fans wouldn’t wear it
The message boards would be carnage!!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Potter is too good for a struggling Premier league side?. Yes, he failed at Chelsea but he'll believe he's got a point to prove and want a top 6 type job!
I can see him at Liverpool next season if Klopp decides a mutual exit, if not then Tottenham!
I agree he “believes” he is good enough for a top six side, however his constant tinkering with first team, both formations and playing folks out of position is not conducive with top six super stars, he is very much like Southgate reactive not proactive as we saw far too many times In his tenure here.
he will always be never quite there, we thought it was the lack of a striker, that we were missing going forward, along comes RDZ and we started scoring for fun, proving maybe it was his philosophy going forward, holding us back.
he is very much a middle of the table, run of the mill manager, West Ham or Palace would suit just fine for 18 months before he gets the push.

Last edited:
Reactions: cjd

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I agree he “believes” he is good enough for a top six side, however his constant tinkering with first team, both formations and playing folks out of position is not conducive with top six super stars, he is very much like Southgate reactive not proactive as we saw far too many times In his tenure here.
he is very much a middle of table run of the mill manager, West Ham or Palace would suit just fine for 18 months before he gets the push.
Saturday night was peak Potter. He played Cucurella and Reece James as centre backs, Loftus-Cheek at right wing back and Joao Felix up top. They had more possession, more shots and more shots on target but conceded first thanks to Cucurella screwing up.

It was like every bad game he had here magnified to the nth degree.

No way he gets another top six job.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
he will always be never quite there, we thought it was the lack of a striker, that we were missing going forward, along comes RDZ and we started scoring for fun, proving maybe it was his philosophy going forward, holding us back.
he is very much a middle of table run of the mill manager, West Ham or Palace would suit just fine for 18 months before he gets the push.
Well he's had his taste of a 'top six side' now, and doubtless now knows why elite managers get paid the huge amounts that they do. Think he'll be grateful to be well out of it. Needs to take a few months off to recover from the battering he's just taken, then look around for a position that will be more conducive to 'an easy life' aka a decent work-life balance. And nothing wrong with that at all

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Well he's had his taste of a 'top six side' now, and doubtless now knows why elite managers get paid the huge amounts that they do. Think he'll be grateful to be well out of it. Needs to take a few months off to recover from the battering he's just taken, then look around for a position that will be more conducive to 'an easy life' aka a decent work-life balance. And nothing wrong with that at all
The 13m pay off will soften the blow. failure certainly pays in football

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
Saturday night was peak Potter. He played Cucurella and Reece James as centre backs, Loftus-Cheek at right wing back and Joao Felix up top. They had more possession, more shots and more shots on target but conceded first thanks to Cucurella screwing up.

It was like every bad game he had here magnified to the nth degree.

No way he gets another top six job.
That formation on Saturday mirrored the formation he had some success with at Brighton with Dunk as a defensive pivot with Cucu and Veltman on either side and different combinations of midfielders as the wingbacks. João Felix played the Trossard role.

Of course the same system lost 2-0 at home to Villa with both teams and the centre backs being exposed by long balls (and personally my goal of the weekend by McGinn).

For a manager who tinkers a lot, not a lot changes.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Maybe he'll go for another change of image.
Hold his finger under his nose and tell everybody "No, I'm not Graham Potter. Graham Potter doesn't have a moustache".
F0EDC6A7-69FF-4581-94A9-D023CF141703.jpeg

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Commentary!? Are you on a wind up. I could not imagine anything worse than to listen to his endless platitudes and clichés during commentary. Jesus wept, I hope that never comes to pass.
To be fair, based on the interviews I've heard outside of pre/post match wastes of time, he probably would be a pretty decent pundit.
As a commentator, well no. But he'd struggle to do worse than most of the inane dribble that drains out of the ex-player's orifices doing that gig.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I agree with this.

In private, he’ll look back at his time here and say WTF did I do! His wife will say ‘WTF did you do’, to him too, ‘we were so happy when you were at Brighton’.

He’d take a job with Liverpool or Arsenal I think but won’t get offered one. He’ll avoid the other top six like the plague. No way he’d go to Spurs if offered the role with their toxic owner and fanbase.

But his value in the football world is high. If the Leicester rumours are true (I think the source is talkSPORT so not the best), that is proof. He might go abroad but I suspect he’ll be looking for a well run Premier League/top Championship club to join in the summer where he will be backed to properly to complete his project.

His failure here was a) leaving and b) not inspiring players to finish easy chances (which RDZ has done).

The rewriting of history on this thread by the leading members of the Potter out campaign is utterly embarrassing. Yes, he betrayed us but he has payed the price, karma has done its work. Time to move on rather than vomiting all this BS about him not being a good manager for us. He left us in 4th FFS.

Last edited:

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I agree with this.

In private, he’ll look back at his time here and say WTF did I do! His wife will say ‘WTF did you do’, to him too, ‘we were so happy when you were at Brighton’.

He’d take a job with Liverpool or Arsenal I think but won’t get offered one. He’ll avoid the other top six like the plague. No way he’d go to Spurs if offered the role with their toxic owner and fanbase.

But his value in the football world is high. If the Leicester rumours are true (I think the source is talkSPORT so not the best), that is proof. He might go abroad but I suspect he’ll be looking for a well run Premier League/top Championship club to join in the summer where he will be backed to properly to complete his project.

His failure here was a) leaving and b) not inspiring players to finish easy chances (which RDZ has done).

The rewriting of history on this thread by the leading members of the Potter out campaign is utterly embarrassing. Yes, he betrayed us but he has payed the price, karma has done its work. Time to move on rather than vomiting all this BS about him not being a good manager for us. He left us in 4th FFS.
He had a great last 8 or so games when it clicked, with caceido making a huge difference - an enforced change.

That resulted in 9th rather than 13th last season, and a 4th placement when he bailed.

He clearly didn't have belief that the performances/results were sustainable so he jumped. He did great things for us, he benefitted greatly from us, massively so in fact.
But not even he believed he could sustain that blip at the end of his tenure. So let's not pretend otherwise. He changed our style, he made away games fun, we always had a go, he built the foundations for de zerbi.

He was great for us but we've improved and he'll now fully realise that his successes here were not all down to him. He made such statements before but clearly believed otherwise, hence the Chelsea debacle. His emotional intelligence is learning how to project himself, genuine emotional intelligence is natural, instinctive.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I agree with this.

"But not as happy as we are now with £13m quid in the bank, and now you don't have to work ever again, you can get on with all those little jobs you have on hand around the house"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here