Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter [NOT] at Chelsea

Potter at Chelsea

• I want him to fail

Votes: 365 48.2%
  • I want him to succeed

Votes: 73 9.6%
  • He's gone. I'm indifferent. Graham who?

Votes: 320 42.2%

• Total voters

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He is a good manager, only a fool would deny that. but he is not a manager who will ever succeed at a big club. Too thin skinned and lacking in charisma to deal with over paid prima donnas. His stock has undoubtably taken a massive hit and I imagine he will go to a lesser club in need of a rebuild. Be interesting to see if a chairman holds their nerve like TB did when things go badly wrong during “the project”

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
What about USG?

I don't know what their managerial situation is but it was mentioned earlier in the thread that Potter is still harmonious [in contact] with senior management here.
Well, what better manager to insert in to our feeder / sister club?

He'll mould the players to the method required and get them PL / De Zerbi-ball ready.

He'll be off the radar of the PL circus for a few years too as he rebuilds his reputation.

#Coulddoajob

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
What about USG?

I don't know what their managerial situation is but it was mentioned earlier in the thread that Potter is still harmonious [in contact] with senior management here.

He'll mould the players to the method required and get them PL / De Zerbi-ball ready.

He'll be off the radar of the PL circus for a few years too as he rebuilds his reputation.

#Coulddoajob
And then he'll be off like a jumping gazelle the minute he gets a better offer. No thanks.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
He had a great last 8 or so games when it clicked, with caceido making a huge difference - an enforced change.

That resulted in 9th rather than 13th last season, and a 4th placement when he bailed.

He clearly didn't have belief that the performances/results were sustainable so he jumped. He did great things for us, he benefitted greatly from us, massively so in fact.
But not even he believed he could sustain that blip at the end of his tenure. So let's not pretend otherwise. He changed our style, he made away games fun, we always had a go, he built the foundations for de zerbi.

He was great for us but we've improved and he'll now fully realise that his successes here were not all down to him. He made such statements before but clearly believed otherwise, hence the Chelsea debacle. His emotional intelligence is learning how to project himself, genuine emotional intelligence is natural, instinctive.
I don’t believe he lacked belief, I think the offer of a x5 payrise and the promise of a blank canvas at a bigger club makes this irrelevant as he might not get a chance again.

Dare I say, he was sold a lie by Bohley, with his meddling in the window and buying players without his knowledge on occasion. There was no blank canvas at all, it was same old Chelsea hire and fire and throw money at any situation. I bet he would have thought twice had it been known how active Bohley would be day to day, basically f***ing up any kind of squad harmony with daily new entrants.

Was never going to work, but guess the money offered trumped the risk. He’s got plenty of time to over analysis it now though

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He is a good manager, only a fool would deny that. but he is not a manager who will ever succeed at a big club. Too thin skinned and lacking in charisma to deal with over paid prima donnas. His stock has undoubtably taken a massive hit and I imagine he will go to a lesser club in need of a rebuild. Be interesting to see if a chairman holds their nerve like TB did when things go badly wrong during “the project”
The negative hysteria (Chavs supporters, tabloids, scathing ex-Chelsea players) would’ve been painful for that sensitive soul. With us he could (wrongly) slag off the home crowd, nonchalantly believing himself our superior on football matters, finding the booing from a couple of hundred bods infuriating. With the onslaught at The Chavs, he had to bottle it all in. Not good for his wellbeing.

Last edited:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
What about USG?

#Coulddoajob
It's not the worst idea in the worldfrom Potter's point of view, get's to regroup, but Euro football enables him to keep his profile, he's in a more stable environment

But at present there's no vacancy, Garaets (sp) isnt just going to get sacked because Potter is available. That would be harsh when he's got them up around to the top of the league for the last 2 seasons.

W3D

I'm Thirsty
Apr 21, 2021
Worthing

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-04-04-09-28-16-877_com.facebook.katana.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-04-04-09-28-16-877_com.facebook.katana.jpg
    441.6 KB · Views: 40

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here