Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Positive Thinking

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
A very large number of them because it has become fashionable.

Pull your socks up, stiff upper lip, and get on with life.

Which is wonderful if you can do this and it works for, for some people it just isn't that simple. You should thank you lucky stars that it this easy for you............ Maybe you could find a little compassion for those that find life a little more difficult.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
There has been quite a lot in the press recently about minor issues now being considered as mental problems. People look for professional help nowadays at the drop of a hat. In the past they would get much better and more sympathetic advice from family and friends.

So is it the mental health problems that are fashionable or the seeing of professionals?

Are you sure that mental health problems are more common these days because most people now accept that they exist, know more about them and don't write stigmatise them by writing them off as 'fashion' or some such nonsense. Personally I think it is better that people seek assistance rather than suffering in silence with their stiff upper lip and sinking deeper into mental health problems. If the net effect of this is that a few hypochondriacs spend their money on a few crackpot therapies I can live with that.

Like I said, I am glad that your brain creates and sustains the correct balance of chemicals for you to cope with life. I hope you make it though your life without being unduly exposed to this 'fashion' as beleive me it really is not very nice at all.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Positive Thinking? I suppose it's all about energy at every level,the mind the body and the soul,sexual desire and balance,i suppose it's best not to think and do what comes naturally,not normally.

Don't think just be,a human being.

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
So is it the mental health problems that are fashionable or the seeing of professionals?

Are you sure that mental health problems are more common these days because most people now accept that they exist, know more about them and don't write stigmatise them by writing them off as 'fashion' or some such nonsense. Personally I think it is better that people seek assistance rather than suffering in silence with their stiff upper lip and sinking deeper into mental health problems. If the net effect of this is that a few hypochondriacs spend their money on a few crackpot therapies I can live with that.

Like I said, I am glad that your brain creates and sustains the correct balance of chemicals for you to cope with life. I hope you make it though your life without being unduly exposed to this 'fashion' as beleive me it really is not very nice at all.

This! Totally. :thumbsup:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that was a bizarre comment. I thought that I was stating a fairly obvious, and humourless, point!

Crediting religion with bringing peace to people was the part of your comment that I think caused him amusement.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Have at least one daily thing to look forward to. Might just be a favourite TV prog.

Exercise, walks, cycling etc are good, but don't beat yourself up if you are too knackered to do it. Only do these when you have slept well and can be bothered.

Concentrate on being selfish, looking after no1 if you are down, before you worry about all the troubles of the world.

Talk to people you 100% trust only about it. A few ex colleagues of mine made the mistake of opening up about their depression to the 'friendly' boss/owner, who then furtively set about squeezing them out of the organisation as weak links.

Don't work long hours, leaving plenty of leisure / relaxing time.

Get out of a bad job or away from a bad boss. You will have no regrets when you look back later on.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Crediting religion with bringing peace to people was the part of your comment that I think caused him amusement.

It does for many, many people. That is pretty inarguable.

Oct 25, 2003
It does for many, many people. That is pretty inarguable.

yep, whether you believe that what those with faith believe is true or not, surely no-one can deny that faith brings peace to millions upon millions of people worldwide

whether it's true or not is irrelevant...it DOES bring people peace

Jul 12, 2003
Oxfordshire
i've done two lots of CBT in my time........i've PERSONALLY found Christianity more effective

CBT was helpful though

Pretty much this.

CBT, my Christian faith, and Citalopram (in any order!). That's what's helped me through depression. And family, friends & colleagues of course.

Hope the OP feels better soon.

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
Thank you for all your advice, now it's putting it into practice!

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Wow, sounds like a lot of head-cases and nutters on here.

Why the hell do you need outside help? Why pay outsiders to get you through the day? Why fall for the restrictions and false promises of religion?

Just get up in the morning, take a deep breath, and enjoy the day.

I was once asked, because I was eternally cheerful, "What are you on?" My answer: "Life".

You're one of the most miserable posters on here.

Jul 12, 2003
Oxfordshire

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here