Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Positive Thinking

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I have just started my cognitive behavioral therapy, what helps you think more positively?

I'm thinking of becoming a Buddhist....
I did one lot of CBT for a bad turn of OCD I had a couple of years back, just using the techniques involved helped me to realise how ridiculous what I was putting myself through was. Music helps too and anything else you naturally enjoy but I didn't start up anything that I hadn't already been doing.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I did one lot of CBT for a bad turn of OCD I had a couple of years back, just using the techniques involved helped me to realise how ridiculous what I was putting myself through was. Music helps too and anything else you naturally enjoy but I didn't start up anything that I hadn't already been doing.

Do you think TheMajor has OCD?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
On a slight tangent, has anyone done the Landmark Forum?

I know a couple of people who "do " Landmark. Not sure if it helps them really, from the outside it seems to make things worse. I would say that it is a kind of Scientology Lite.

BuddyBoy

Mar 3, 2013
Meditation helps clear the mind and rejuvenates the brain, if you like, leading to a more positive outlook. It's hard to think positively with a cluttered mind. Sounds wack to some but it helped me a when I was going through a lot - probably no need to dive head first into Buddhism.

Focus on what you can change for the better , not what's wrong. That's the basis of positive thinking.

And yeah, never under estimate the power of a good w@**

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
I was obviously thinking of a different CBT thought it was a bit weird

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
I know a couple of people who "do " Landmark. Not sure if it helps them really, from the outside it seems to make things worse. I would say that it is a kind of Scientology Lite.

I'm surprised they have not persuaded you to go along and try it out, as this seems to be one of the biggest pressures they put on their members. That way they get another sucker to part with his hard earned doe. (sorry a bit cynical about the whole thing)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm surprised they have not persuaded you to go along and try it out, as this seems to be one of the biggest pressures they put on their members. That way they get another sucker to part with his hard earned doe. (sorry a bit cynical about the whole thing)

Well, I'm a bit cynical too, from what I hear, there is always a new course you should go in because you either need to address specific " new issues " which have come to light in the current course or you need another course to reinforce what you have learned in your current course.

Either way it seems that they milk vulnerable people.

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
Meditation helps clear the mind and rejuvenates the brain, if you like, leading to a more positive outlook. It's hard to think positively with a cluttered mind. Sounds wack to some but it helped me a when I was going through a lot - probably no need to dive head first into Buddhism.

Focus on what you can change for the better , not what's wrong. That's the basis of positive thinking.

And yeah, never under estimate the power of a good w@**

Hahaha! Thanks Buddy!

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Like others here I would unhesitatingly recommend meditation. My preference is for 10 minutes of guided meditation twice a day, for which there are plenty of apps.

Exercise also gives me a pssitive mood, and some of that's the clear mind it creates.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I'm thinking of becoming a Buddhist....

I'll never understand religion. How can you pick and choose which one suits you? Is it like getting a dog or buying a new summer wardrobe.

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
I'll never understand religion. How can you pick and choose which one suits you? Is it like getting a dog or buying a new summer wardrobe.

They don't interest me enough to join one bbut interesting no doubt about it!

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009

No, it's a way of life, not a hobby. Lot of pick n mix spirituality around these days, but the best approach is to examine any religion's claims, look at the evidence and decide whether you think it stacks up or not.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Wow, sounds like a lot of head-cases and nutters on here.

Why the hell do you need outside help? Why pay outsiders to get you through the day? Why fall for the restrictions and false promises of religion?

Just get up in the morning, take a deep breath, and enjoy the day.

I was once asked, because I was eternally cheerful, "What are you on?" My answer: "Life".

Oct 25, 2003
Wow, sounds like a lot of head-cases and nutters on here.

Why the hell do you need outside help? Why pay outsiders to get you through the day? Why fall for the restrictions and false promises of religion?

Just get up in the morning, take a deep breath, and enjoy the day.

I was once asked, because I was eternally cheerful, "What are you on?" My answer: "Life".

i'd be interested to know what restrictions you think i've 'fallen for'?

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Very interesting thread.

I broke up with my then GF just over a year ago, she has depression, and the went menapausal and in the end I found this was starting to drag me down.

I am getting better now, and I would second anyone recommending exercise. I am a runner, and just going out for run on a regular basis does a lot to make me feel a lot happier. I even find long runs put me into some sort of mediative state, that really relaxes me.

I do have periods of feeling quite negative though, so I'm looking at various ideas. I find taking on life a bit more helps.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here