Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

pompey

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
It is the point. Pompey have tasted the big time in very recent memory, whereas we went from one of football's lowest points, attendance wise (1980s), straight into a 1990s on-field slump which it took us almost twenty years to recover from. Pompey's being in the Premier League would have attracted people back to the club who hadn't been for years. Those people don't just go away.

And there is also the fact that recovery from adversity can boost spirits hugely. Look at the reaction to the Albion after the original Fans United day. There was a sense that we'd reached rock bottom by then, and were playing in front of crowds of 4,000. Fans United pulled in 11,000 or so, many of whom kept coming back once the realisation came that we were better when everyone pitched in and pulled together.

Pompey have ended up (deservedly) near the bottom, but they now have something to aim for, and it's going to attract those same supporters back. I would absolutely expect that- they think they're going to get promoted now.

Sums it up really.

Short answer to the OP's original question: no idea. After all the euphoria of season 1 at the Amex, you might have expected play-off disappointment and all the fallout that followed to have dented season ticket figures significantly for this season. That doesn't so far look to be the case. Would we have 23k season ticket holders if we suddenly tumbled down to League 2? Almost certainly not. Would we still have 8-10k? You'd hope so, because as so many have tirelessly pointed out, many of those dubbed JCLs are actually JCBs – people who have always been Albion fans, not sudden converts to a bandwagon, but people who for all sorts of reasons didn't want a season ticket for Withdean.

Now we've got 'em back, let's try to keep 'em – we've got a big stadium to fill. I've got a good feeling about this season now.
Good luck to Pompey, experiencing 'real football' and visiting places they'd long forgotten about. But I'm really not that interested in what they get up to. :shrug:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Didn't Bradford City sell 10,000 season tickets last season?

They have done for the last ten years or so, because they have a scheme where they offer a number of tickets for a really cheap price.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
We'd still do alright for fans, huge catchment area for us and many would still go,true fans who couldn't get to watch at Withdean. Don't worry yourself too much, it's bad for you.

Jan 30, 2008
we'd still do alright for fans, huge catchment area for us and many would still go,true fans who couldn't get to watch at withdean. Don't worry yourself too much, it's bad for you.
how do you work that one out we struggled to sell out withdean :blush:
regards
DR

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
caused problems last night in havent so im told

A warm-up for League Two. Plenty of chances at places like Oxford, Newport, Wimbledon, Bristol Rovers, Plymouth, Southend etc.

That's the mentality of big clubs in divisions they feel they shouldn't be in especially after point deductions. Most of the fans hold a grudge against the FA and look for bother.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
caused problems last night in havent so im told

A warm-up for League Two. Plenty of chances at places like Oxford, Newport, Wimbledon, Bristol Rovers, Plymouth, Southend etc.

That's the mentality of big clubs in divisions they feel they shouldn't be in especially after point deductions. Most of the fans hold a grudge against the FA and look for bother.

What absolute nonsense!

No trouble last night, 3000 attendance, and a good night had by all. The only incidents of any note were a group of one of the players mates giving him banter all game - but they were his mates!

ward is god

Dec 26, 2008
Somerset near Yeovil
When we went on last season's pre-season tour we stayed in a hotel with a group of Pompey fans who were absolutely brilliant. Any club that suffers relegation will lose fans and we shouldn't kid ourselves that it would be any different if we didn't do well next season. Good luck to them I say. If you love your club you stick with them through thick and thin and this is their test. They will be the best supported club in league two easily.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I'm not surprised they've sold a few season tickets as I actually think this is quite an exciting time to be a Pompey fan.

They're now controlled by genuine fans who care about the club and have put in an immense amount of time effort into getting them to where they are now. The football side is also now being run by club legends in Whittingham, Mcloughlin, Awford and Knight. They get to experience football again at some proper lower league grounds which as we know can be fun when you've come from oblivion and start winning again and without the threat of going under or point deductions etc over their heads.

I think they will do very well this season and unlike most on here I wish them well as I know some good people including a friend of mine have worked extremely hard to save the club. It would be good to play them again also as I always enjoy beating them immensely!

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch

Think OB will have those games covered

Chesterfield up there could be interesting,that one might go under the radar

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I hope Pompey do OK and rediscover their mojo. They have are club with character and vocal fans.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
They have done for the last ten years or so, because they have a scheme where they offer a number of tickets for a really cheap price.
£199 for as season ticket or £20 pound on the day a no brainer really when you have 23 Home games in a season,also handy if you enjoy a good cup run but that doesn't happen to lower league clubs does it?

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Sums it up really.

Short answer to the OP's original question: no idea. After all the euphoria of season 1 at the Amex, you might have expected play-off disappointment and all the fallout that followed to have dented season ticket figures significantly for this season. That doesn't so far look to be the case. Would we have 23k season ticket holders if we suddenly tumbled down to League 2? Almost certainly not. Would we still have 8-10k? You'd hope so, because as so many have tirelessly pointed out, many of those dubbed JCLs are actually JCBs – people who have always been Albion fans, not sudden converts to a bandwagon, but people who for all sorts of reasons didn't want a season ticket for Withdean.

Now we've got 'em back, let's try to keep 'em – we've got a big stadium to fill. I've got a good feeling about this season now.
Good luck to Pompey, experiencing 'real football' and visiting places they'd long forgotten about. But I'm really not that interested in what they get up to. :shrug:

This. Carrot crunching mugs. (Them not you) :)

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I had the misfortune to encounter a supremely smug and arrogant pompey fan last friday. Sadly reinforced every negative stereotype I had of them. I hope they go bust again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here