Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Points Needed for Away Europa League games?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Will be interesting to see if they take the full allocation for Marseille. I wonder how many have pre registered. If it's not 3,000, why would they take (and presumably pay for) 3,000?

All the talk is of everyone going to Ajax, but I don't see much about Marseille or Athens. I think it's likely both will go to lower tiers IF we take full allocations.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The only thing I would say, is that is works well because the FA take over a decent amount of support staff to organise everything. And obviously they are very well practiced at doing it. If the Albion only take a handful of inexperienced ticket staff it could be less than smooth. I’m sure with Barber’s experience in the FA though it will be fine.
I've done very many England away games and it is generally fine as you say. Much depends on what time you get there as to how long you have to queue. You're right though it's not a big issue.

England though also have two collection points. One in the centre and then later one at the stadium. Have not seen any mention of the later by the Club but they really need to do this or else there will be people that will struggle to get their tickets. I have a suspicion they want to avoid this but will in the end have to do so. Maybe because Brighton fans are more used to collecting at the stadium they are nervous of everyone doing so, so are avoiding it for now. Inevitably they will have to do so though.

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
One thing to factor in is an increasingly large % of our away attendees are in that 16-18 bracket, which is great to see. Highly doubt these will be able to attend to due college and/or disposable income

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
I've done very many England away games and it is generally fine as you say. Much depends on what time you get there as to how long you have to queue. You're right though it's not a big issue.

England though also have two collection points. One in the centre and then later one at the stadium. Have not seen any mention of the later by the Club but they really need to do this or else there will be people that will struggle to get their tickets. I have a suspicion they want to avoid this but will in the end have to do so. Maybe because Brighton fans are more used to collecting at the stadium they are nervous of everyone doing so, so are avoiding it for now. Inevitably they will have to do so though.
Yeah I’ve never had any problems with it. Well organised with no dramas. Yes sometimes the queue can be pretty long but if you can go the day before it’s dead simple.

I did wonder when the club announced the “collect tickets” policy they were imagining allocations of around 1,000 or fewer. Now they have to arrange over 3k tickets to be collected in Marseille they might be slightly regretting that. Or they could take the approach England did recently with the game in Naples and scrap it for that game.

Stumpy Tim

Collect tickets ...day prior to the match and from the morning of the match until two to three hours prior to kick-off.

Ffs. I think I'm arriving in Marseille about 4 hours before the game. I better not be delayed. This is ridiculous. My brother will be there before me so surely they will let him pick up for me if I show them proof I'm going.
We're the same. Get in at 2.30pm, but given KO is 6.45pm local time we should be fine.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
We're the same. Get in at 2.30pm, but given KO is 6.45pm local time we should be fine.
There will surely be a plan B. People coming from everywhere you've gotta expect a few hundred may arrive 2 hours or less before the game, especially in Marseille where you don't really want to be spending too much time in groups of English blokes !!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Yeah I’ve never had any problems with it. Well organised with no dramas. Yes sometimes the queue can be pretty long but if you can go the day before it’s dead simple.

I did wonder when the club announced the “collect tickets” policy they were imagining allocations of around 1,000 or fewer. Now they have to arrange over 3k tickets to be collected in Marseille they might be slightly regretting that. Or they could take the approach England did recently with the game in Naples and scrap it for that game.
I went to the Naples game. It was a relief not to have to collect the tickets for sure. Any I managed to book a hotel virtually round the corner from the stadium so avoided all the bus nonsense with the police!

Not sure Albion fans are quite ready for how European police are likely to treat us.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Think tickets will go a lot further than people think.

How many of the top few tiers are parents with kids? Are parents going to take those kids out of school for a trip abroad? How many people are going to have the money for all 3 trips, especially in the run-up to Christmas?

They’ll be people who probably won’t be able to get the time off work in the busy period before Christmas too, I’m sweating on getting Ajax off tomorrow and I know others who may struggle to get time off too.

Personally think they’ll probably be ~1000 ticketless Brighton fans in Amsterdam but Marsaille & AEK Athens will be much less of a rush. I wouldn’t be surprised if AEK doesn’t sell out tbh, flights had shot up to £500 at one point and there aren’t many other options. It’s a lot of money.
Think you're right about the tickets. I suspect airline tickets will be more of the problem. For example, here's the Easyjet flight to Marseille on the 5th :
1693831686364.png

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
The only thing I would say, is that is works well because the FA take over a decent amount of support staff to organise everything. And obviously they are very well practiced at doing it. If the Albion only take a handful of inexperienced ticket staff it could be less than smooth. I’m sure with Barber’s experience in the FA though it will be fine.
Why would they take inexperienced ticket staff? We must have a pretty decent number of experienced ticket staff at the club by now, 13 years at the Amex, several seasons in the PL, 30K+ attendances most games.

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
Why would they take inexperienced ticket staff? We must have a pretty decent number of experienced ticket staff at the club by now, 13 years at the Amex, several seasons in the PL, 30K+ attendances most games.
I meant in respect of having to sort out c3000 ticket collections on the day of a game in another city. Wasn’t meant as a dig, just that the FA are used to doing that and we obviously aren’t.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Back to the original question. The Man City game is possibly a fair comparison for points and the tiers are as follows:

Given the costs and logistics of getting to Marseille, I doubt it will sell any quicker than that one.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Arrive in Amsterdam at lunchtime on Gameday so somewhere central for the collection point would be nice. Arrive in Athens 03.50am so as long it is open early I don't really care where it is :)

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Will be interesting to see if they take the full allocation for Marseille. I wonder how many have pre registered. If it's not 3,000, why would they take (and presumably pay for) 3,000?

All the talk is of everyone going to Ajax, but I don't see much about Marseille or Athens. I think it's likely both will go to lower tiers IF we take full allocations.
Someone stated in WSU on Saturday 5,500 people have registered for Marseille

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
If it's points based, why did the club send out an email inviting fans to register for tickets? Feels like it'll be a lottery
No way will the club do it as a lottery. Those that have followed the club around to gain their loyalty points would rightly be pissed off if someone else who never goes away gets tickets.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It’s also so Sussex police know how many ‘might’ travel I reckon

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
If it's points based, why did the club send out an email inviting fans to register for tickets? Feels like it'll be a lottery
No, it'll be simply to guage response from each category of supporter, that will dictate where the lines are drawn regarding allocations,.. points etc...

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
£145.00 from Bristol return on Squeezy Jet. Return on Friday via Bordeaux
Well it was on Saturday morning when I booked it.
I got £132 Bri-Ams return.. early on the 9th, late on the 10th return.... not booked hotel yet, still researching ... ticket or not, I am going.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here