Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Plucky Leeds.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
We scored three goals at Anfield and had more possession than Liverpool, something no team did last season.

But I am hugely disappointed. Gutted. The first goal was never a penalty, admittedly but to come away without getting a point just wasn't good enough. We should have seen the game through but our defence was woeful. Keystone cops.

Maybe you understand a little more why we rate Bielsa so highly, though? That is how football should be played, and that is his philosophy. Always commit players to the attack.

Don't get too carried away. Yes, it was admirable to take the game to Liverpool. But only 3 shots on target; doubt you will get 100% success rate from 3+ shots all season. Liverpool will struggle to get top 4 place this season with their defence as it is. VD has lost something and it seems to have got everyone nervous; it showed in mini lockdown season and nothing seems to have changed. It was a good time to play them.

Respect for having a go, but Bielsa's gung ho tactics will fail frequently at this level. Think you have enough to stay up, but talk of top 10 looks optimistic.

The Perth Seagull

Apr 29, 2019
We scored three goals at Anfield and had more possession than Liverpool, something no team did last season.

But I am hugely disappointed. Gutted. The first goal was never a penalty, admittedly but to come away without getting a point just wasn't good enough. We should have seen the game through but our defence was woeful. Keystone cops.

Maybe you understand a little more why we rate Bielsa so highly, though? That is how football should be played, and that is his philosophy. Always commit players to the attack.

Most blatant penalty for handball I’ve ever seen. Liverpool looked rusty. Harrison looks a player - well done to Leeds academy for nurturing such talent.

phoenix

May 18, 2009

Brighton had 55% possession last season

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50526608

Leeds had 51%

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54038549

so stats are

Liverpool v/s leeds (this season) Brighton (last season)

Poss Leeds 51% Brighton poss 55%
Goals Leeds 3 Brighton 1
Shots Leeds 6 Brighton 12
corner Leeds 0 Brighton 5

I Hope its ok to point this out :rolleyes:

Just though i might mention it. :albion2:

Didn't see earlier post.
Just made me realise we have a decent team.Proud of the lads.

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

It was a penalty, according to your new rules.

Anyway don't be too disappointed, you can just claim you win.

We are winners, winners at Anfield

#WAWWAA.

seriously though, you played well. Play like that each game and you should stay up. Although, I think the trick for you lot is keeping your powder dry for the enviable end of season slump. Get off to a good start and the expectations will lay heavy when the it hits.

Keep us up to date on the points your fans feel you should have got. It will be interesting to compare this with reality.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Leeds had 51%

so stats are

Goals Leeds 3 Brighton 1

Didn't see earlier post.
Damn those statistics.

Brilliant that he happened to spout his nonsense on the forum of the team that makes a mockery of his claims. :)

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Iirc Norwich were a little unlucky on their opening game of the New Premier League season against Liverpool....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I am not into all this Leeds bating my perspective of the game was Liverpool looked a little hung over at the back but still managed four times as many shots and on another day could have scored six. Leeds played well going forward which dispite scoring three goals they did not create many chances which but they looked very fragile at the back

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
For all their enthusiasm going forward, realistically Leeds will struggle if they continue to defend like that in the Premier League.

Yes the result was 4-3, but according to understat.com the match xg was 3.15-0.27.

Bielsa has already said they will only play one way, so they will be fun to watch this season. But if he doesn't adapt he will go the same way as Kevin Keegan, another dinosaur who refused to compromise his attacking philosophy.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
So, what they really did was lost at Anfield by one goal having given them an almighty scare. Exactly the same as us last season then, except last night Liverpool's defence didn't turn up at all and their whole team was at about 70%. And there were no fans cheering them on. Of course, we weren't newly promoted.

It was a brilliant game of football for the neutral so I don't mean to be snarky. I haven't enjoyed a game more for a long while, unless it featured us winning. Going forwards Leeds look fantastic and there's an obvious plan. However, they will find it hard man to man marking the better sides.You can see how it won The Championship when Leeds' players would mostly have been comfortably better in their one to ones but last night their White-less centre backs looked awful.

It will be an interesting game against them. We'll struggle with the press and the marking, no doubt at all but they look woeful on set pieces. Keep them in their half and win free kicks and corners and you'll always be a goal ahead or level as Liverpool were last night.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So, what they really did was lost at Anfield by one goal having given them an almighty scare. Exactly the same as us last season then, except last night Liverpool's defence didn't turn up at all and their whole team was at about 70%. And there were no fans cheering them on. Of course, we weren't newly promoted.

It was a brilliant game of football for the neutral so I don't mean to be snarky. I haven't enjoyed a game more for a long while, unless it featured us winning. Going forwards Leeds look fantastic and there's an obvious plan. However, they will find it hard man to man marking the better sides.You can see how it won The Championship when Leeds' players would mostly have been comfortably better in their one to ones but last night their White-less centre backs looked awful.

It will be an interesting game against them. We'll struggle with the press and the marking, no doubt at all but they look woeful on set pieces. Keep them in their half and win free kicks and corners and you'll always be a goal ahead or level as Liverpool were last night.

Yes. And the elephant in the room is Liverpool aren't right. They will probably get top 4 but will be nowhere near the title (Citeh).

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yes. And the elephant in the room is Liverpool aren't right. They will probably get top 4 but will be nowhere near the title (Citeh).

Agreed. Exactly the same team as last season and some (hello van Dijk and Firmino) looked very complacent. It's almost like winning the title was seen as job done.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda

Leeds had 51%

so stats are

Goals Leeds 3 Brighton 1

Didn't see earlier post.

Got to love winning the corners game, such an important stat that and something to be proud of winning

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
For all their enthusiasm going forward, realistically Leeds will struggle if they continue to defend like that in the Premier League.

Yes the result was 4-3, but according to understat.com the match xg was 3.15-0.27.

Bielsa has already said they will only play one way, so they will be fun to watch this season. But if he doesn't adapt he will go the same way as Kevin Keegan, another dinosaur who refused to compromise his attacking philosophy.

Well they aren’t going to over perform their xG that much in many games. Unless the individuals happen to be incredibly good finishers. Which we know isn’t the case.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here