Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Plucky Leeds.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
OK I have had some time to reflect on the performance.

I can't help but wonder at just how good a coach Bielsa is. I watched the bulk of that team getting tonked in the Championship and ending up mid table under a variety of the rubbish managers that infest the lower leagues. Thomas Christiansen didn't even think Klich was worth a place in the first team. Ayling, Dallas, Philips have been transformed into players who fought toe to toe with the one of the best teams in the world, and although they were beaten they weren't disgraced. They looked like they belonged there, that they were Premier League players not Championship journeymen.

That takes a brilliant tactical mind and world class coaching methods. Steve Evans, bless him, (very critical of Bielsa's appointment because he is a "furriner") was world class only in the size of his paunch. There is a difference between managing players of the calibre of the Argentinian national side, and those of Gillingham. When you see what a truly great coach can do, with no money (the only expensive signings on show yesterday were the weaknesses as they haven't adapted to the system yet) you see how the role of manager is everything at a football club. Great managers mould whole football clubs to their personality, and Bielsa is one of those. There aren't many. Leeds United were lucky to recruit Marcelo.

The other thing I would say is what a cracking match. It was end to end, it was exciting, it had everything except good defending. I know most of you guys hate Leeds with a passion, and the hatred you feel blinds you to being objective, but surely even you can recognise that? Isn't that what football is all about ? Or should be?

The result was desperately disappointing, yes. But you have to look at the bigger picture, as the wound of the defeat heals. This was a match shown all over the world. The word on the street is that we are being looked at as a takeover candidate. Serious money might be injected into the club, we might be transformed financially. I don't think a performance like that will have harmed our chances of that.

And this is just the beginning of the season. We have more than thirty matches to look forward to.

Vamos Leeds Carajo!

Tl;dr

Falmer Wizard

Jun 23, 2020
That is a ridiculous comment.
Trying to think of any time in my football watching life, when the ball striking a defender's outstretched arm, was not a definite penalty.

You played impressively and yes I can see why your fans rate Bielsa so highly, but don't be a dick.
Implying a poor decision cost you. is very far from the truth.

Even with the good performance your Xg was <0.33.
On another day you will get humped 4-0 with the same performance.

There was no attempt to move his arm, ball was fired at him from a close situation, very unlucky for Leeds who i think will do well this season.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
There was no attempt to move his arm, ball was fired at him from a close situation, very unlucky for Leeds who i think will do well this season.

Not so sure. Liverpool defending was very poor (has been since lockdown), Leeds somehow scored with the only 3 shots they had on target (only had 6 in total, and no corners). They’ll get picked off by many teams in the PL.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here