Please tell me who is in charge.....

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
That is the point we have been and as Nigel Clough is alleged to have said he was surprised by the way we played as in previous games they couldnt get near us to get the ball but this game was the exact opposite.

There you go again, it's just heresay, get real. If you believed his after game talk then more fool you.

Last time we played them half our possesion was because we passed it around at the back. This game was different (although obviously not "the exact opposite" - there you go again over-exaggerating) as Garcia is trying to get the team to move the ball forward quicker and earlier and has admitted that it will be a more open game, certainly until the players are used to playing that way and he's brought in a few more recruits.

Keep calm and carry on believing.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Very few signings are ever the work of the manager alone, for us or any other club.
Bobby Zamora was not scouted by Mickey Adams, Glenn Murray was not scouted by Dean Wilkins, Elliot Bennet was not scouted by Russel Slade and Leo Ulloa was not scouted by Gus Poyet.
I am not worried if Oscar has never heard of any of the new signings, talent spotting is not what he was brought in to do. It seems to me that we have a pretty good record on players coming in, the worst signing of recent years, Ryan Harley, was a Gus led target.
Are we worried that Oscar did not sign Kuszak, Bridcutt, Ulloa etc?

Where or who is your source for these statements? Ulloa was spotted by Aranalde who is the club scout in Spain, and Gus said that he flew out to Spain three times to watch him playing whilst waiting for his Spanish passport to be sorted out. It took 18 months which is why the club said it took so long to get a striker in. We have a network of scouts but then the manager will get his own info or at least Gus did.
Burke's predecessor Stepehenson was sacked (or didn't settle in Sussex after leaving Watford) for bringing in Roland Bergkamp against Gus's wishes.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
FFS why all the panic ? Nobody was clamouring for Gus to be sacked after a couple of defeats in a sticky patch. We've played games in the last 3 seasons where nothing has gone right but they've been conveniently forgotten about.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Burke's predecessor Stepehenson was sacked (or didn't settle in Sussex after leaving Watford) for bringing in Roland Bergkamp against Gus's wishes.

So which was it: he didn't settle, or he was sacked?

And if you don't know, what's the point in posting that sentence?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Keith Andrews speaking to the media in the players' tunnel after the game: “This club made a big effort to bring me here and I reacted to that quite instantaneously and decided to uproot and come down here."

“We [Oscar and Andrews] spoke on the phone at length about my role at the club and what he wants to do, I spoke to the assistant, I’ve met the chairman and I’ve been blown away by all of them in terms of what they have to say about the place, and then obviously as an outsider looking in over the last few years it’s a place I’ve really admired and the way they’ve gone about things and the progress that seems to have been made at the club."

Andrews may not have been top of Oscar's list, but it doesn't sound like a David Burke signing, or Andrews would surely have mentioned him.

Thank you for posting this NAN. There can often be a lot of hot air flying around on these threads, so having some actual information direct from the horse's mouth is interesting and useful.

Brightonia

Dec 7, 2012
Sussex by the sea
FFS listen to yourselves, absolutely pathetic!

3 games in and yes we have lost all three but I have no reason to feel concerned, anyone with half a brain can see what Oscar and the club ate trying to do! Let them get on with it!!!

There should be a few more signings still to come, let's leave it at that!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So which was it: he didn't settle, or he was sacked?

And if you don't know, what's the point in posting that sentence?

Work it out. One is the real reason, the other one is the official reason that the club gave. I mean settling in Sussex is so hard after Watford, isn't it?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Keith Andrews speaking to the media in the players' tunnel after the game: “This club made a big effort to bring me here and I reacted to that quite instantaneously and decided to uproot and come down here."

“We [Oscar and Andrews] spoke on the phone at length about my role at the club and what he wants to do, I spoke to the assistant, I’ve met the chairman and I’ve been blown away by all of them in terms of what they have to say about the place, and then obviously as an outsider looking in over the last few years it’s a place I’ve really admired and the way they’ve gone about things and the progress that seems to have been made at the club."

Andrews may not have been top of Oscar's list, but it doesn't sound like a David Burke signing, or Andrews would surely have mentioned him.

Thanks for posting this, although I am sure it has been largely ignored. Facts must never get in the way on NSC!

Personally, I feel that there are far too many on NSC at the moment that need some of these (I do NOT include you!!):

bedwettingpants.jpg

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Good read this thread, very reassuring to know that the bedwetter brigade are still alive and well and keeping NSC in business.

I still can't work out if Bensgrandad is someones funny effort of a joke user profile who's having us all on.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
What most dont seem to appreciate is that yes it is only 3 games played 3 games lost but it is the manner in which we have lost that is worrying we look totally disorganized and as if nobody has told the player what their duties are. I do not question us following the route of most European teams with a coach being in charge but if that is the case let him show who is in charge and start organising the team. It probably isnt so but it appears that B & B are running the show and Oscar is just toeing the company line as a figurehead to take the stick

Please justify that last sentence BG.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
What most dont seem to appreciate is that yes it is only 3 games played 3 games lost but it is the manner in which we have lost that is worrying we look totally disorganized and as if nobody has told the player what their duties are. I do not question us following the route of most European teams with a coach being in charge but if that is the case let him show who is in charge and start organising the team. It probably isnt so but it appears that B & B are running the show and Oscar is just toeing the company line as a figurehead to take the stick

Largely this. What baffles me though is why Oscar wants to change our tactics. Last season we so nearly secured promotion playing attractive attacking passing football, surely it would be easier to continue iin the same vein, possibly with just a little tinkering? In our inaugural season at Withdean Micky Adams team won promotion from League Two to League One. When he left the following year Peter Taylor took over. He sensibly continued with the same tactics and we went on to win promotion again that season. Why on earth doesn't Oscar do the same?

Yes it's very early days, but this is a big season for Oscar too. If he doesn't succeed at Brighton he may not get another chance to manage in English football.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Largely this. What baffles me though is why Oscar wants to change our tactics. Last season we so nearly secured promotion playing attractive attacking passing football, surely it would be easier to continue iin the same vein, possibly with just a little tinkering? In our inaugural season at Withdean Micky Adams team won promotion from League Two to League One. When he left the following year Peter Taylor took over. He sensibly continued with the same tactics and we went on to win promotion again that season. Why on earth doesn't Oscar do the same?

Yes it's very early days, but this is a big season for Oscar too. If he doesn't succeed at Brighton he may not get another chance to manage in English football.

The key word is patience. Oscar needs time to get the team playing his way, just like Gus did.

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
Given that we are missing Bridcutt, Bruno CMS and Orlandi at the moment, and Bridge and Hammond have moved on, it's hardly surprising that the team isn't playing as well as last year. There were effectively 4 dev squad payers involved on Saturday which shows how thin the squad is and the urgent need to bring in Andrews. I'm pretty sure that Orlandi, Hammond Lopez and Dobbie were all signed just before the deadline last season so plenty of time to bring in a few more bodies.

I agree we were a bit disjoined on Saturday, but I put a lot of this down to the Wayne Bridge factor. He was so good, it meant that the 2 centre halves and holding midfielder could pretty much concentrate on the central area in front of them but the centre halves are now having to do more covering for the full backs which makes us look disorganised. Even at right back, Poyet brought in Bruno presumably because he didn't think Calderon, for all his heart and effort, was up to the job at the top end of the championship.

Clearly, with the loss of Bridge the team is weaker than last season but we will have to put up with that, as there is no chance of getting another left back with Bridge's quality. He was a special player, one of the best ever to wear the stripes.

Aug 23, 2011
Coach/manager is there really much difference, its just a title and they do pretty much the same job as far as i'm concerned. Anyone who expected a seamless transistion between managers was incredibly optimistic.

With regards to transfers etc, Gus made a lot of his signings late on in the window, deadline day and Lopez, Orlandi didn't settle in prorperly until january so whats a few weeks going to matter. Chill out it'll be ok. We will most likely have a slow steady start to the season hopefully sitting around mid-table then come the new year we can push on and go for top 6.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Anyone who thought we were going to hit the ground running after the shite storm of the last six months,(yes six months) is living in a dream world. The carnage created by Poyet is going to have a knock on effect for a long time....But I do understand this will upset those who wish he was still here making his demands and expecting everything he asked for, regardless of the cost and with the full knowledge that he would still walk out the moment he was offered a bigger job.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports