Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Platini wants sin bin rule introduced

Sin bin, yes or no?

• Total voters

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
You could keep the existing yellow/red system for physical offences - basically bad tackles, violence or repeat offending as per normal. But then also have the bin as an option for technical offences such as being mouthy, diving, time-wasting. That way, offences which basically happen within the spirit of the game (ie a mistimed tackle) are punished in the normal way. But for unsportsmanlike actions such as being Ashley Young, the opposition gets a direct advantage as a result of you being a bellend, as you're off the pitch for 15 minutes.

Agree with unsportsman like behavior being sin binned, arguing with the ref, booting the ball away, tugging shirts, being involved in handbags etc, but it is generally difficult to prove definitively if a player has dived without a benefit of a replay.

I believe that video evidence needs to be introduced in a way it doesn't slow down the game. Not like rugby where the ref stops the game with the theatre of him looking up at the big screen, but with a fifth technical assistant who radios down what he has seen from the footage. It would only take a few seconds to determine the correct actions.

Even with offside, if it is really close they should continue play, and only if a goal is scored directly the possible offside it can then be called and determined. Would only take a few seconds to do this reality, less than the time it takes for the celebration.

Last edited:

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Exactly.

To me that seems pretty flawless. See, that didn't take long to figure out a logical suggestion and we're not the head of UEFA.

Now the one question from me is would you could a tackle which's sole intention is to stop a breakaway/counter attack as a technical offence rather than a "bad tackle", thus earning a sin bin? Personally I would.

Agreed, that's definitely binnable.

Agree with unsportsman like behavior being sin binned, arguing with the ref, booting the ball away, tugging shirts, being involved in handbags etc, but it is generally difficult to prove definitively if a player has dived without a benefit of a replay.

I believe that video evidence needs to be introduced in a way it doesn't slow down the game. Not like rugby where the ref stops the game with the theatre of him looking up at the big screen, but with a fifth technical assistant who radios down what he has seen from the footage. It would only take a few seconds to determine the correct actions.

Even with offside, if it is really close they should continue play, and only if a goal is scored directly the possible offside can then be called and determined. Would only take a few seconds to do this reality, less than the time it takes for the celebration.

I'm all in favour of some big screen action, exposing the diver as the cheat that he is.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Being an ex referee this would be fantastic. To be able to send the mouthy minority off for 10-mins would be great. Rugby has always had the right idea with this

Well refs had the power to do something when the rule about advancing free kicks 10 yrds for dissent was brought in a few years ago and virtually to a man they all ignored it, happy to take abuse from the players over decisions. I would suggest that it is that rule alone that affords rugby refs the respect from players that they currently get.

Hockey is as fast as football, similar sized pitch, 11 vs 11 and a referee has bookings, short sin bin, long sin bin and sending offs.

Too many games are ruined by referee's having no action apart from yellow and/or red cards. You see so many red cards that you just feel are not warranted as either dangerous or cheating or what have you. Maybe 2 unfortunate unlucky mistimed tackles and you could be off. None more so that in that game vs Burnley when we went down to 9 after about 20mins. Ridiculous.

Telling off -> Yellow Card -> sin bin -> Red Card - I don't know why this couldn't work or why people are so worried about trying something new. Cards were first used in 1970, and it's about time, 43 years on, we took a step forward in addressing on field behaviour, because right now cynicism and cheating are rewarded given referee's have restricted sanctions on the field.

Agree to a point. Would suggest games are ruined more by refs who don't apply the letter of the law or do so inconsistently. Cards were introduced in 1970 but you could still be cautioned before that!

Even with offside, if it is really close they should continue play, and only if a goal is scored directly the possible offside it can then be called and determined. Would only take a few seconds to do this reality, less than the time it takes for the celebration.

Sorry, but take a look at how long cricket and/or rugby reviews take. It only takes a few seconds when it is relatively straight forward! I have always advocated GLT when the system instantly identifies the ball over the line (as per the system introduced this year) but I am staunchly against any video reviews during a game. What they need to allow is retrospective banning of maybe 10 games for diving, violent play etc. If players know they can miss a quarter of the season then they are less likely to cheat as their clubs are less likely to accept them sitting on the sidelines whilst they pay their wages. Increase the bans for further offences in the same or following season!

As for Platini, the fact he thinks you should go in a sin bin for anything that is a first yellow offence just confirms the guy talks out of his arse.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Sorry, but take a look at how long cricket and/or rugby reviews take. It only takes a few seconds when it is relatively straight forward!

It wouldn't be like rugby though, when you have 10 players on top of each other covering the ball, and trying to see if it is a touch down. Incidents in football are clearer than cricket or rugby so there wouldn't be anywhere near the same time delay. No need for the theatrics of a big screen, just a fifth technical assistant helping the ref with the benefit of seeing a replay.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here