Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Platini wants sin bin rule introduced

Sin bin, yes or no?

• Total voters

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
It could, but it would also make the ability to con the ref a massively sort after skill. What would happen if he worked out he could get the opposition booked twice as often as he gets booked?

It wouldn't take long for clubs to insert sneaky little "bonuses" to a wingers contract for the amount of times he gets a player sin binned.

If I was a manager I would think of my Ashley young as a KAMIKAZE pilot. Send him out there to get the oppositions defender sin binned. Sure I may lose my useless winger sometimes (which is easily to replace by shuffling the midfield around), but I also could do UBER DAMAGE

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I think a 10-minute sin bin will only encourage teams to time-waste. Think of Millwall and others this season who took forever to do anything against us (apart from score). Bearing in mind their time-wasting wasn't punished, it will only make teams worse, so no disadvantage is met. No thanks.

I'd still like a (admittedly not properly thought-through) three-card system of yellow, the say blue or green, then red. Yellows would be for time-wasting, persistent fouling (less persistent than currently), dissent, taking shirt off (although in truth, I'd like to see that last childish rule rescinded) etc, and would be more readily handed out. Then blue/green for hefty fouls, and red for what we currently consider red.

3 yellows = red
1 blue/green and 1 yellow = red
2 blue/green = red+ (i.e. longer suspension)

Needs further consideration, mind.

Oh, and I'd like the silly practice of taking a player who needed treatment off the pitch ended.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I think a 10-minute sin bin will only encourage teams to time-waste. Think of Millwall and others this season who took forever to do anything against us (apart from score). Bearing in mind their time-wasting wasn't punished, it will only make teams worse, so no disadvantage is met. No thanks.

I'd still like a (admittedly not properly thought-through) three-card system of yellow, the say blue or green, then red. Yellows would be for time-wasting, persistent fouling (less persistent than currently), dissent, taking shirt off (although in truth, I'd like to see that last childish rule rescinded) etc, and would be more readily handed out. Then blue/green for hefty fouls, and red for what we currently consider red.

3 yellows = red
1 blue/green and 1 yellow = red
2 blue/green = red+ (i.e. longer suspension)

Needs further consideration, mind.

Oh, and I'd like the silly practice of taking a player who needed treatment off the pitch ended.

:lolol: I can just hear the shouts of "It was never a blue"

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

Down the pub.

Jim "**** off Graeme. That was CLEARLY a blue card offence"
Mike: "Shut it Jim. That's just a yellow. The game's gone if that's a blue"
Paul: "Thing is guys, He's already had his 1 yellow so the ref doesn't want to give him a blue otherwise it'll be a red"
Jim "Exactly, I'd have given him his second yellow"
Mike: "If only we could have a system where 2 yellows equal 1 red".

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Down the pub.

Jim "**** off Graeme. That was CLEARLY a blue card offence"
Mike: "Shut it Jim. That's just a yellow. The game's gone if that's a blue"
Paul: "Thing is guys, He's already had his 1 yellow so the ref doesn't want to give him a blue otherwise it'll be a red"
Jim "Exactly, I'd have given him his second yellow"
Mike: "If only we could have a system where 2 yellows equal 1 red".

Oh, come on you crazy guys, cut me some slack here... :lolol:

My point is - it seems potty that a late lunge that the ref bottles dishing out a red for merits the same punishment as taking off your shirt when scoring a winner in the 95th minute.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The game does need referees to have more tools at their disposal than a talking to, a yellow card or a red card.

I'm seeing far too many stupid sending offs, and then cynical fouls that only get a yellow as they're not deemed enough to be a red. Rooney at Cardiff was a prime example, an action that was slap bang in between a yellow and a red. As it happened he got yellow, 5mins later he's scored. Was it a red and changing the game completely? I didn't think so, but a 10min sin bin - yes definitely.

As for time wasting, this would be far easier to eradicate. Now, frankly all referee's can do is book offenders and we see time wasting repeatedly knowing that realistically they're never getting sent off for it. 10 min sin bin though? I think we could start to deal with some of the frustrations in the game.

Same with diving, we've seen some genuinely fouled players being shown yellow cards or leading to a red for mistakes by the ref. 10min sin bin for diving could well see it massively reduced as the risk/reward is narrowed. Currently the worse the likes of Young will get is a booking, but the reward outweighs that risk. 10mins off the park the risk is much greater balanced with the reward.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
You're missing his point. Yes THAT player is banned for the next game, but his TEAM start it with 11 men. If someone commits an horrendous leg-breaking tackle in the 88th minute, whatever the length of HIS ban, his TEAM are only at a disadvantage for two minutes, as a result.

Thanks I'm glad someone understood, yes getting a straight red in the closing stages of a game is a massive difference from getting sent off in the first few minutes. Having a full 90 min roll over whether because of horrendous tackle or denying a goal scoring opportunity (cheating) is a penalty the whole team should take.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Works fine in rugby, don't see why it wouldn't in soccerball? Some of these angry twats would have 10 minutes to calm down

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
In an ideal world YES, but I could see this resulting in carnage, i.e. players that should have received a straight red instead getting a sin bin, then coming back to score. Or, yellow card being uplifted incorrectly to a sin bin and the penalised team conceding minutes later.

The game is getting faster, there's more money so more a stake which means more cheating, so the introduction of a sin bin will make things even harder for referees. This is why I favour the referee consulting with his assistants much more than he does already (see American football, Aussie Rules, baseball where offiicals work as a team)

This.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
. In Rugby you have to do something pretty wrong to get a yellow.
No you dont,... even minor technical infringements, if repeated, like offside or killing the ball in critical phases of play, or critical areas of the pitch, result in yellows, so it is very appropriate for football. Why dont you take your football centric blinkers off for once?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I'm not exactly sure what he's proposing here... replacing yellow cards with a sin bin obviously wouldn't work, as you would have teams down to 7 or 8 players at times & it would be chaos bringing them all back on.
Please use your brain,... the possibility of a sin bin for 10 mins is exactly what will stop the lunatics from trashing the game with shirt pulling, simulation, abusing the ref, reckless tackles,......... see?... it will change the players behaviour, if they dont change their club will put them out to pasture for sitting too much time out of a game. Do you want the game to improve from the petty shite gamesmanship we have been seeing in the last ten years?.... do you?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Please use your brain,... the possibility of a sin bin for 10 mins is exactly what will stop the lunatics from trashing the game with shirt pulling, simulation, abusing the ref, reckless tackles,......... see?... it will change the players behaviour, if they dont change their club will put them out to pasture for sitting too much time out of a game. Do you want the game to improve from the petty shite gamesmanship we have been seeing in the last ten years?.... do you?

No, it should still be a hundred a side, played with a pigs bladder from one side of town to the other, with no offside, passing back to the goal keeper legal, no ref, and two points for a win one for a draw.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm not exactly sure what he's proposing here... replacing yellow cards with a sin bin obviously wouldn't work, as you would have teams down to 7 or 8 players at times & it would be chaos bringing them all back on.

Seems a good idea. Too many players will " take one for the team " as a yellow card in the 75th minute of a game is not much of a punishment. Yes, by all means if they commit an offence send them to the Bin for 10 minutes as that is a more apt penalty.

As for 7-8 players a on the pitch, fine I'd love to see a team down to 8 who are dirty cheats struggle against a team of 11. That way they should be punished where it matters, by score. Don't forget, there is a fourth official standing on the touchline doing virtually nothing at the moment anyway and soon there will be 2 more looking at goalposts.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Must be the first time in ages that Platini has said something that has received a modicum of support this side of the channel.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Rugby League has a system of team warnings which would sort time wasting out.

If a team persistently commits a similar offence then following a team warning any repeat of that offence by ANY player immediately sees that player going to the sin bin irrespective of how minor the offence on its own may appear.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
"I would make it like rugby, punishing the offender with 10 or 15 minutes out of the game,"

He lets himself down straight away. In Rugby you have to do something pretty wrong to get a yellow. It's a suitable punishment

Football is not rugby.
Not really. Michele Platini played at the very highest level. He was one of the greatest players in the world 25 years ago. Consequently, on playing matters, I feel his opinions should be respected.

And really and truthfully, who ISN'T sick of the backchat to referees that we see. Gob off = 15 minutes off the pitch seems a very sensible way to reduce this.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The whole point of yellow cards is that they are warning, not a punishment. Players are only human and breaking the rules is an unavoidable part of the game. All games have fouls - 95% of games have at least one yellow card, most games have at least 2 per team, and some games have more than 10. It would become one of the most important aspects of strategy, as 9 v 10 players become a common occurrence.

And like red cards, most yellow cards are contestable. With a sin bin, almost every game would be full of controversies, and just like red cards so often decide the outcome of a match, a yellow card sin bin would too.... and you seriously think that a sin bin would STOP simulation? It would make it a critical part of the game, players would make a meal out of everything for the reward of the man advantage.

I'd love to see it trialled. Obviously the current system is wrong then if a yellow card is a warning. we have all seen the "good foul" that brings down a player who was about to get away from the defence with a potential chance of scoring. So, after committing an offence like that they get a warning ? pah, they should be PUNISHED.

I once remember Ole Gunnar Skosjaer scything down an opponent who was breaking with the ball after a United corner and he was cheered by the United faithful and was practically laughing as the ref brandished a yellow card. So he got a warning after doing the damage and his team had no punishment for an act that was cynical and brutal.

There should be a review after every game and any player who can be seen simulating ,doing an Ashley Young or whatever can be retrospectively punished too.... Nail ' em up I say.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here