Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Platini wants sin bin rule introduced

Sin bin, yes or no?

• Total voters

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
The whole point of yellow cards is that they are warning, not a punishment. Players are only human and breaking the rules is an unavoidable part of the game. All games have fouls - 95% of games have at least one yellow card, most games have at least 2 per team, and some games have more than 10. It would become one of the most important aspects of strategy, as 9 v 10 players become a common occurrence.

And like red cards, most yellow cards are contestable. With a sin bin, almost every game would be full of controversies, and just like red cards so often decide the outcome of a match, a yellow card sin bin would too.... and you seriously think that a sin bin would STOP simulation? It would make it a critical part of the game, players would make a meal out of everything for the reward of the man advantage.

Sorry mate.....narrow thinking I am afraid......they are not warnings, they are meant to be a deterrent......quite simple really.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Two points occur to me:

1. In Rugby Union there isn't a 'yellow card but you stay on the pitch' option like in football. It's either you're off for 10 minutes or you're off permanently. Interestingly, the sin-bin does seem to reduce the instances of sendings-off / red cards in union, which is a positive spin-off.

2. What happened to the "10 yards forward" rule for dissent given to the ref? For one season this was all the rage.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
2. What happened to the "10 yards forward" rule for dissent given to the ref? For one season this was all the rage.

It proved too much for Uefa, Fifa, Fa, FL and football people in general to understand......refs just gave up.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I'm quite keen on the idea to be honest. The player fouls and picks up a card against YOUR team, but when he picks up his 5th yellow it will be another team benefiting from it.

Will certainly make divers think twice if there's a chance they will be out of the game for 10-15 minutes.

Bring it on.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Needn't be - penalties are given for fouls committed inside the area - the free kick could just be taken 10 yards nearer the goal whether in the area or not.

The nearer you get to goal the 10 yards doesn't really scale down. If a free kick was awarded half a yard outside the 18yd box, their wall would have to stand behind their goal keeper. At a wild guess it may have been a scenario that made it hard for the ref to implement.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Not really. Michele Platini played at the very highest level. He was one of the greatest players in the world 25 years ago. Consequently, on playing matters, I feel his opinions should be respected.

And really and truthfully, who ISN'T sick of the backchat to referees that we see. Gob off = 15 minutes off the pitch seems a very sensible way to reduce this.

Absolutely spot on.

Apart from your spelling of Michel...he is of Italian descent, though!

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Imagine how much more time wasting the Barnsley keeper would have done to run down 15 minutes while they're down to 10 men. Terrible idea. Footballers are idiots, please don't give them more rules to ruin.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Imagine how much more time wasting the Barnsley keeper would have done to run down 15 minutes while they're down to 10 men. Terrible idea. Footballers are idiots, please don't give them more rules to ruin.

Then the Barnsley keeper would get a yellow and 15 minutes off the pitch too. They would soon learn not to cross the line.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
No you dont,... even minor technical infringements, if repeated, like offside or killing the ball in critical phases of play, or critical areas of the pitch, result in yellows, so it is very appropriate for football. Why dont you take your football centric blinkers off for once?

No. You're missing the point. In football every attempted tackle could result in a yellow if done incorrectly. It really doesn't take MUCH to get a yellow as it is a sport with a lower level I contact.

As rugby is a (brilliant) but much rougher sport, the yellows are done for, as you say, technicalities most of the time. Dangerous play is a whole new disciplinary matter.

Rugby is also a much slower paced game in which more methodical phases of play occur. Again this lends itself to yellows being for technical faults rather than a mistimed tackle which is very easy to do in football.

In my opinion it wouldn't work when you apply it. Rugby has 15 players. The loss of one is important but obviously not anywhere near the importance of losing 1 of 10 outfield players in football.

Not quite sure why you made the weird "blinkers for once" comment. As far as I know this is a football message board so most of my posts are football based and also you write this in a way in which I have a reputation on all the previous rugby/football based comparisons....of which I don't remember any.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Sorry mate.....narrow thinking I am afraid......they are not warnings, they are meant to be a deterrent......quite simple really.

They are a deterrent.

Players on yellows will often watch their step and hold back on tackles. Opposition wingers will target a yellow carded full back in the knowledge he will not commit fully for fear of being sent off.

Its not broken. Have no idea why Platini (who disagrees with goal technology lets remember) feels he needs to change this.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Being an ex referee this would be fantastic. To be able to send the mouthy minority off for 10-mins would be great. Rugby has always had the right idea with this

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
No. You're missing the point. In football every attempted tackle could result in a yellow if done incorrectly. It really doesn't take MUCH to get a yellow as it is a sport with a lower level I contact.

As rugby is a (brilliant) but much rougher sport, the yellows are done for, as you say, technicalities most of the time. Dangerous play is a whole new disciplinary matter.

Rugby is also a much slower paced game in which more methodical phases of play occur. Again this lends itself to yellows being for technical faults rather than a mistimed tackle which is very easy to do in football.

In my opinion it wouldn't work when you apply it. Rugby has 15 players. The loss of one is important but obviously not anywhere near the importance of losing 1 of 10 outfield players in football.

Not quite sure why you made the weird "blinkers for once" comment. As far as I know this is a football message board so most of my posts are football based and also you write this in a way in which I have a reputation on all the previous rugby/football based comparisons....of which I don't remember any.

Hockey is as fast as football, similar sized pitch, 11 vs 11 and a referee has bookings, short sin bin, long sin bin and sending offs.

Too many games are ruined by referee's having no action apart from yellow and/or red cards. You see so many red cards that you just feel are not warranted as either dangerous or cheating or what have you. Maybe 2 unfortunate unlucky mistimed tackles and you could be off. None more so that in that game vs Burnley when we went down to 9 after about 20mins. Ridiculous.

Telling off -> Yellow Card -> sin bin -> Red Card - I don't know why this couldn't work or why people are so worried about trying something new. Cards were first used in 1970, and it's about time, 43 years on, we took a step forward in addressing on field behaviour, because right now cynicism and cheating are rewarded given referee's have restricted sanctions on the field.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Hockey is as fast as football, similar sized pitch, 11 vs 11 and a referee has bookings, short sin bin, long sin bin and sending offs.

And again, like Rugby, is a much more physical game in which fouls are far more irregular than in football.

All the examples were sin bins work are sports which are ROUGH and thus yellows for slightly mistimed tackles are nowhere near as likely as football.

I understand the principle and in an ideal world it would be perhaps a good idea....but it would be chaotic in a sport like football.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Being an ex referee this would be fantastic. To be able to send the mouthy minority off for 10-mins would be great. Rugby has always had the right idea with this

Now a sin bin JUST for backchat may be one I would get my head around.

That would not ruin the game in terms of constantly losing players, should stamp out the mouthyness.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Now a sin bin JUST for backchat may be one I would get my head around.

That would not ruin the game in terms of constantly losing players, should stamp out the mouthyness.

You could keep the existing yellow/red system for physical offences - basically bad tackles, violence or repeat offending as per normal. But then also have the bin as an option for technical offences such as being mouthy, diving, time-wasting. That way, offences which basically happen within the spirit of the game (ie a mistimed tackle) are punished in the normal way. But for unsportsmanlike actions such as being Ashley Young, the opposition gets a direct advantage as a result of you being a bellend, as you're off the pitch for 15 minutes.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
You could keep the existing yellow/red system for physical offences - basically bad tackles, violence or repeat offending as per normal. But then also have the bin as an option for technical offences such as being mouthy, diving, time-wasting. That way, offences which basically happen within the spirit of the game (ie a mistimed tackle) are punished in the normal way. But for unsportsmanlike actions such as being Ashley Young, the opposition gets a direct advantage as a result of you being a bellend, as you're off the pitch for 15 minutes.

Exactly.

To me that seems pretty flawless. See, that didn't take long to figure out a logical suggestion and we're not the head of UEFA.

Now the one question from me is would you could a tackle which's sole intention is to stop a breakaway/counter attack as a technical offence rather than a "bad tackle", thus earning a sin bin? Personally I would.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here