Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Platini wants sin bin rule introduced

Sin bin, yes or no?

• Total voters

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Slightly off tangent, if a player gets a straight red card, his team should be one player short for a full 90 mins and taken into the of the next game.

So if someone is sent off after 15 mins, they cannot introduce the 11th player until 15 mins is played of the following game.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Slightly off tangent, if a player gets a straight red card, his team should be one player short for a full 90 mins and taken into the of the next game.

So if someone is sent off after 15 mins, they cannot introduce the 11th player until 15 mins is played of the following game.

If a player gets sent off he's banned for the following game anyway? That's a ridiculous idea :lolol:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
That's not what I said though is it ???

A player getting sent off is his responsibility though, it would just give an unfair advantage, say if a player was sent off in the 45'th minute that's basically 2 games that you'll probably lose due to a player getting sent off in one match..?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If a player gets sent off he's banned for the following game anyway? That's a ridiculous idea :lolol:

You're missing his point. Yes THAT player is banned for the next game, but his TEAM start it with 11 men. If someone commits an horrendous leg-breaking tackle in the 88th minute, whatever the length of HIS ban, his TEAM are only at a disadvantage for two minutes, as a result.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
would surely reduce some of the cynical fouls but would need to be coupled to a hard crackdownon diving and probably need the fourth official to access the cctv feed to work. A theoretical yes from me but would need a very different approach from officials to avoid 5-a-sides!

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
You're missing his point. Yes THAT player is banned for the next game, but his TEAM start it with 11 men. If someone commits an horrendous leg-breaking tackle in the 88th minute, whatever the length of HIS ban, his TEAM are only at a disadvantage for two minutes, as a result.

As I said above though I get that point now I misread it but it's still flawed really because theoretically that could cost you two games, which is pretty unfair for the mistake of one player.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
So the opposition make a harmless clumsy challenge in the middle of the park, he gets a yellow card and sin binned for 10mins. Great, that is 10mins of the opposition taking an age at goal kicks, throw-ins and suddenly they are all getting cramp and needing the physio.
Sounds like a great idea :ffsparr:

They wouldn't risk that if there was a chance they would also be penalised for time wasting and therefore joined the other chap in the sin bin.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
In principle it sounds an alright idea but playing with say, 10 men for 10 minutes when you're on the back foot already then having a player take a breather and come back fresher could be something of an advantage.

What if the person in the sin bin has to do press-ups so they'd be knackered?

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Oh come on, how much time can a goalkeeper waste before he even gets a warning from the ref about time wasting? Players also never get booked for getting medical "attention".

At the moment a goalkeeper seems to be able to waste as much time as he likes. My guess if there was even the prospect of the sin bin at the back of his mind then he might just speed things up a bit.

Medical attention - no, I agree with you.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
What!? So a team gets to play against, say, nine men for almost an entire game just because the opposition happened to get two men sent off in the last game. That is just stupid. Or in the case of Liverpool last season they would have to play something like 11 games with ten men!?
Do you work for FIFA? If not I think you should apply.

That's not what I said though is it ???

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I accept that in Rugby, League or Union, yellow cards are far rarer than they are in football - I wonder though how much of that is down to the fact that there is a 'sin bin' system in operation.

If players knew that a cynical foul or any other of the more serious examples of foul play and/or 'cheating' they might be more circumspect about committing the foul and thus the instances of yellow cards being shown would be reduced.

Well worth a try IMO for a couple of seasons.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
One possible use I can think of is if a player gets a 2nd Yellow. How many times do you see a player sent off when either one or both of the Yellow Card offences is fairly inocuous, or downright wrong (sure I remember Gary Hart getting sent off once for 2 "simulations" in quick succession, where in both instances he was clearly brought down - against Halifax?). The issue there being if a player is shown a straight red he has the option to appeal, 2 yellows he can't, so it's a one match ban. I think maybe a trip to a Sin Bin along with the points for both yellows being added to the players record would be a bit fairer.

Not sure whether it would work in theory though and I am sure there would be loopholes that the less honest professional football would find around it.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
If a player is injured in a challenge which the referee deems a foul, i think the guilty player should go off the pitch until the injured player either returns, or is substituted.

sin-bin is all a bit ice hockey for me

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
It would actually be a nightmare, wouldn't it?

You'd have peole like Ashley young diving EVEN MORE and not only in the area now. They would do anything to get the opposition a yellow.

People will be faking injury 10 times over to get the opponent a yellow and therefore remove them from the game.

Then you'd have players waiting to come back on but only allowed to once the ref waves them on which would be chaotic.

How the HELL is Platini head of european football? Bloody clueless. He clearly hasn't spent more than 10 minutes thinking about it logically in a match-scenario. The moment ANYONE makes a justification for a new rule or technology and says "like they do in rugby" I just think "for GOODNESS sake". Completely different sport.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake

You'd have peole like Ashley young diving EVEN MORE and not only in the area now. They would do anything to get the opposition a yellow.

People will be faking injury 10 times over to get the opponent a yellow and therefore remove them from the game.

Then you'd have players waiting to come back on but only allowed to once the ref waves them on which would be chaotic.

How the HELL is Platini head of european football? Bloody clueless. He clearly hasn't spent more than 10 minutes thinking about it logically in a match-scenario. The moment ANYONE makes a justification for a new rule or technology and says "like they do in rugby" I just think "for GOODNESS sake". Completely different sport.

I'm repeating myself here but would Ashley Young dive quite so often if he had a decent chance of being sent toi the sin bin? To me it could be a damn effective deterrent.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009

This.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here