Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Piercy QUITS

maidstoneseagull

Jul 21, 2004
Maidstone
You got to feel for him, I always felt that he had the quality and had that extra bit of time on the ball, certainly capable of being a good player and really thought he could be asset this season. Having spoken to him a few weeks ago was genuinely gutted he wasn't fit and wasn't able to push for a place in the team. It was pretty clear he wasn't 100% on Saturday and its a shame he had to go out to the reception he got.

Good luck for the future John.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
This is really sad news.John was a decent player and if he was 100% fit could have been a real asset to us.All the best for the future John.

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
I can understand why Blackwel was given a year even tho he was out of contract because the club were going to offer him one and I can understand why Rodger was given a year as well (contracted I think) but I cannot understand why the club gave Piercy a deal to the end of the year knowing he was failing in his quest to get to a certain level of fitness.I thiught they originally offered him a month or two to prove himself and he did`nt so why the extension to the end of the season.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
DÃnN¥ §ëÃGuLL© said:
I don't see how anyone can be a pro footballer with that disease in the first place if it leaves you exhausted all the time

From what I can gather the disease got progressively worse with each bout that he had. It isn't constant and the bouts sometimes were a few months apart. The last bout he had ended up with him being hospitalised.
He's now on medication for the rest of his life but obviously wanted to try and prove he could carry on.
Then he realised after Saturday that he couldn't and made the decision to retire.

(note; this is speculation on my part)

Kryten

Dec 20, 2003
Here, there and every where
sorry, if already posted on this thread, but i can't be bothered to read it all:

taken from the official shite

Players Plan Benefit For Piercy

Charlie Oatway has paid tribute to team-mate John Piercy after his decision to retire due to illness.

Piercy today announced his decision to hang up his boots, and the Albion midfielder said, "It's a sad day for the boys. We knew from day one that John had some problems with his stomach.

0,,10433~420205,00.jpg

"He was trying to fight it with the club doctors, Malcolm Stuart and his own doctor, and he was trying to get fit and get prepared for games. But he's finally decided that it's not getting any better and he's had to call it a day.

"I knew that John was struggling with everything but I didn't realise to what extent; I thought he was on the mend. Obviously that's not the case, and he spoke to the gaffer yesterday and has come to the decision that he's going to retire."

Oatway also revealed he and his fellow team-mates plan to hold a benefit day at some point in the near future for Piercy. "We'll have a golf day when the weather gets a bit better, but I'd rather get something done sooner rather than later because John's got a mortgage to pay.

"We might also arrange a meal with a comedian and that sort of thing. With some help from the fans as well, I'm sure we can help John out."

seagull1971

Aug 8, 2003
Cyprus
I am utterly dissapointed that amongst us Albion fans we are calling each other tossers for the way they reacted towards John on Sat, Yes in hinesight they may well be, but i'm confident enough to say if anybody out there new he had this terrible illness which was affecting his performance on the field at the weekend, then they would have chose there words more carefully.
Although i can hold my hand up and honestly say i wasn't one of the critical ones, people have the right to an opinion.

Best of luck for the future John:wave:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think questions need be asked of the medical advice given which prompted the club to extend their offer of 3 months to 1 year.

Not his fault I know but did his agent know more than the club?

I am not blaming DK or anybody else as they would have acted on the professional medical advice given them if it was considered relevant at the time. 3 retirements for medical reasons!

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I have just seen the Seagulls World piece on this and even Charlie Oatway was visibly saddened at the news. It's good to see that the squad are going to help him out though.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Sorry to hear that you are hanging up your boots John. I was one of the few that were supporting you on Saturday knowing how ill you have been.

Personally my best memory of you was the fact that you helped turn the play off final in the second half and I do not think we would have scored without you on the pitch

Good luck in the future wherever it may take you mate :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Right then, head hangs in shame time for me!

I'm not one of the loudmouths who slags off players during the game as I think the team needs our support whoever plays.

However, I did phone Harty & question team selection & formation. I got a bit excited & said, "Hinshelwood's not a full-back, Harding's not a midfielder, & Piercy didn't even look like a player!"

Obviously I feel bloody awful now for saying that on air.

It does beg the question though, how on earth did he come to get selected...out of position as well?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Quote from Ceefax Page 393 tonight on John Piercy's three year battle with colitis:

'A Brighton club spokesman said: "It is affecting his energy levels and he just cannot train properly" '

Not the time for recriminations, and it's very sad news for the lad, I genuinely feel gutted for him, but I don't think that the fans on Saturday should be beating themselves up over this. Rather, the club should be taking a long hard look at themselves over why the poor bloke was made to suffer in that way. If he couldn't train properly due to his debilitating illness, he should not have started on Saturday. Do we have professional medical staff or don't we? The boy was clearly struggling throughout and should never have been made to come out for the second half. What a thoroughly wretched way to end your career, with the bile of the Withdean whingers ringing in your ears. Nobody comes out of this smelling of roses. But the club are a damn sight more guilty than the fans.

All the best for the future John.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
it is always very sad to hear of a premature end to a players career and i wish jp the very best.

i do question the fact it was obvious that he was not fit, this being the case why was he picked?

his lack of fitness must have shown in training. being fit and being match fit are two completely different states of being. match fit is more to do with mental ability to get invovled in a game and adjusting to the pace, the same as a batsmen plays to "get his eye in" when at the crease. fitness though is about stamina, work rate etc and this should be evident in training and as such he should never have been selected.

the club should also review its procedure in handing out contracts, after all with such limited funds every penny counts and we've now seen two players with illnesses/injuries given new contracts who have since retired. on top of this players have been given long contracts when they have been untried at this level. i know this is going over old ground but we still do not seem to learn.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Sad news but a gamble by the club has misfired and money spent on a player we never really used.

Add that to Blackwell / Roger and that is at least two other fit players we could have had.

I know it's harsh but economics is always the answer from our chairman and lack of funds.

Spicy2

Aug 12, 2004
London
That is really sad news. I wish him well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here