Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Phil Neville

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
On the subject of Phil Neville especially compared to Gus Poyet, I think we'd be looking at a very different style of football. Maybe it would work, but taking a punt on an untried manager at a club at the top end of the championship, expecting to go higher, seems a bit hopeful. Phil Neville alongside someone else, maybe.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's the wrong Neville

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
I'm excited by the idea of this. He is wanted as a coach at the highest level. So I think the success of this may be who assists him. I would worry that on his on he would not command the respect of Gus's gang. My only disappointment would be a change of playing style but no one knows what sort of style he would prefer but if it was akin to the Everton closing down without the ball, pass and move with it I think that would suit the Championship. So who as assistant? Duncan Ferguson? Stuart Pearce?
I still think someone like David Platt may be less of a risk than Phil. So Phil as the assistant seems ideal.

Worthai Seagull

Wenners
May 11, 2009
Worthing/ Hua Hin,Thailand
Telegraph reckons he's gonna be our new manager

Phil Neville is being lined up by Brighton and Hove Albion as a potential successor to Gus Poyet, with the Championship club understood to be taking steps to appoint their next manager.

Neville has emerged as a leading contender to replace the Uruguayan, who is still the subject of an investigation from his club after he was suspended earlier this month, and the Everton captain is expected to be included on a shortlist if Poyet's departure is confirmed.

Poyet and his assistants, Mauricio Taricco and Charlie Oatway, were all suspended by Brighton in May and a resolution is expected to be agreed next week, with the League Managers’ Association also involved in the inquiry.

I was led to believe that Phil Neville is going with Moyes to United as part of his team . That would be the perfect learning curve for him , before coming into management , i would have thought !

We need a change to playing style though. Not a wholesale departure, but the pretty 'total' football isn't going to get us promoted without the world-class players needed to play that way and not get found out. Cardiff got promoted by playing good passing football mixed with the ugly stuff, ruthlessly shutting the opposition out of games. Someone with Neville's experience at Man Utd and Everton will be well placed to make this transition I think.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Bryan Robson? Roy Keane? Paul Ince? Mark Hughes? - All played under Ferguson.

Wouldn't want any of them managing Brighton either.

The thing about those, is that they were all great individual players, whereas you wouldn't necessarily say the same about PN, but he still spent years at two of the top teams in the country and played however many times for England; as someone mentioned about his brother, he obviously reads the game very well.

I'm intrigued by this one and wouldn't be too disappointed (although still more excited by Oscar).

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Strangely, I see some potential if this proves to be a goer,..... as said above, he will have a tap into a whole range of recruitment avenues, Prem, Everton, Man U, ..... err Bury!!.....

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I think he would be a great manager, experienced player, learnt from the greatest manager of all time and hungry to do well!!! Gets my vote!

Learnt from Ferguson & Moyes, two of the of best managers ever with very different personalities and club setups.

Gets my vote too!

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I saw this last night just before going to bed and its all over the BBC gossip pages (so someone there has obviously checked the story hopefully, apparently) so this one has legs
thought about it and YES if they get some sort of mentor in or a direct line to Moyes
could be a goer this

"Checked the story"? How little you know about the way the national media work.

All anyone can reasonably say about our next manager - and you may have noticed that, officially at least, there is no current vacancy - is that agents will have been contacting Barber for the last fortnight indicating that their clients are interested, and one or two of these agents might also have called contacts in the media asking them to link their clients with the job. Because that helps to get other clubs interested too.

If there's a shortlist for a vacancy that doesn't even exist yet, the people who know what names are on it are: Tony Bloom; Paul Barber; Darren Bloom; err, that's probably it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here