Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Phil Neville

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I really like this idea, hope it's true. Much rather have a young, hungry British manager with great contacts here than some B list foreign manager or 'Arry.

Definitely this.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So it was okay to take a punt on Poyet but not Neville?

I think the point was more that everyone is assuming he'll be good because he played under ferguson, when there are plenty of examples of this not being true, in fact, it seems to be untrue more than true. How many very good managers played under ferguson?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
So it was okay to take a punt on Poyet but not Neville?

Maybe could work, but GP had been deputy for a while, but he was a gamble. Do you want another gamble, if you keep gambling you're going to lose sometime. I don't find the bloke very inspiring as a person, personally.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Hoskins is actually made out of balsa wood.

The accompanying mental image of that has made me chuckle this morning, good work :lolol:

On the subject of English Phil; i wouldn't say no to it, but if he could get some experience as a number 2 then i think he'll make a superb manager in the future. A managerial duo of both the Neville's would be smashing.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea
Phil has a UEFA A license so he cant be that bad at coaching, plus his name goes well with the blue and white army song, win win

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
What I meant was that Gus was inexperienced as a #1 and therefore didn't inspire me when he was first appointed. I was wrong and he turned out to be shit hot. I would feel the same about Phil Neville, until he proved me wrong as well.

I see you avoided using the words "#2" and GP in the same sentence

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I saw this last night just before going to bed and its all over the BBC gossip pages (so someone there has obviously checked the story hopefully, apparently) so this one has legs
thought about it and YES if they get some sort of mentor in or a direct line to Moyes
could be a goer this

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I think the point was more that everyone is assuming he'll be good because he played under ferguson, when there are plenty of examples of this not being true, in fact, it seems to be untrue more than true. How many very good managers played under ferguson?

Mark McGhee? Steve Bruce?

OK, you're right :down:

Anyway. The last time we were on the up, we appointed a former England international with no managerial experience and it didn't work out too bad. I'd certainly be excited about it if it happened.

Still kinda want Gus to stay, though.....

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Amazing how we're now relying on the national newspapers to inform us of the latest possibilities and options because the Argus are on holiday / gagged / not bothered too much..... whatever. Really annoys me that the local paper appears too frightened to deal with the developments of a massive sports story on their doorstep. Doesn't mean that they need to report the inner workings of the world's longest "investigation" but at least do the background work and keep your customers interested.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here