Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Petition - say no to 'B' teams league

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No they wouldnt. Greg Dyke confirmed this yesterday.
What! So if B teams finish 1st and 2nd in League 1 each year (and win the playoffs), then no team would be relegated from the Championship. Ever. I don't believe that would be allowed to happen.

But by screwing over the Football League ?
I didn't say that. I was just replying to the comment 'if it ain't broke', and our national side is broke, so they are trying to fix it.
The Premier League could help sort things out by featuring young English players more and actually develop them more (IE Chelsea).
Much as I hate Chelsea, it's not their job to look after our national side. And given that they're owned by a foreigner, I can't imagine they'd want to. We can't expect any clubs to help our national side out of good will.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
But our national side is broke.

Well that is up for debate. If we have a good run in the World Cup does that mean there is no longer anything to fix ? The right players, playing in a formation that suits them, strikers hitting form, rub of the green in a penalty shoot-out, a fortuitous draw ?

I'm not saying this is the way to fix it, but that's what they're trying to fix.

Well they are in danger of fixing the cornerstone of our game. And who knows the unintended consequence of that, whilst they struggle to put the case for what they do intend.

And let's not forget how the Premier League was going to help the national team.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
What! So if B teams finish 1st and 2nd in League 1 each year (and win the playoffs), then no team would be relegated from the Championship. Ever. I don't believe that would be allowed to happen.

I didn't say that. I was just replying to the comment 'if it ain't broke', and our national side is broke, so they are trying to fix it.
Much as I hate Chelsea, it's not their job to look after our national side. And given that they're owned by a foreigner, I can't imagine they'd want to. We can't expect any clubs to help our national side out of good will.

But then you are denying REAL clubs a chance of winning a league and being promoted, you may as well scrap the play-offs too. Its totally unworkable !!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Because the B team is not trying to win anything, the manager decides to pick the team purely for whats best for the parent club.

For example: If they had 2 games in 3 days they would never play their best players in both games and risk an injury.

And if the second game was against a team pushing for promotion, then it's unfair to the competitors.
Which is why I said that was my main concern. But they shouldn't play all their good players for one game, and rest them all for the next, they should be rotating them, and there would need to be rules on the strength of their sides.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But then you are denying REAL clubs a chance of winning a league and being promoted, you may as well scrap the play-offs too. Its totally unworkable !!
If they stopped clubs being relegated/promoted, then I agree, that's ridiculous and totally unworkable. Which is why I'm saying that I don't think they should do that.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
The side in 8th would go up. With the same number of clubs going up, and the B teams not featuring in that, I don't see how the chances of the average team would be affected.

With no 'normal' teams in the top 7 those in 8th and below will all have lower attendances than if they were 'top' so will have far less income to take into the Championship & a tough job staying up will become even tougher.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
With no 'normal' teams in the top 7 those in 8th and below will all have lower attendances than if they were 'top' so will have far less income to take into the Championship & a tough job staying up will become even tougher.
Interesting point. What if there were rules for the gates from the B teams to be shared amongst the other clubs?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
a couple of thing stike me as odd. first, its a 80 page report, whats in the other 78 pages? why so much focus on the B team suggestion?

secondly, if competitive football for the young english players at clubs is the way to bring them through, why not establish a proper parallel under 23 league? is that in the other 78 pages? if not, then there should be a petition to disband the FA on the grounds they are a bunch of gimps.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Clearly something needs to be done but the issue is absolutely nothing to do with the current league format so why mess with it?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
But our national side is broke. I'm not saying this is the way to fix it, but that's what they're trying to fix.

Is there enough people that care enough about the England team?

Given the choice of ruining the football league and England being slightly better, most would take the league system.

Jaguar_uk

Jun 1, 2013
What the heck is up with everyone, any idea that stipulates that a large proportion of the players have to be English can only be good for the future of English football.
Unless big clubs are enticed to invest in English grass roots football we may as we'll be resigned to the fact England will continue to decline as a force in the world game.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Triggaaar;6333768 I didn't say that. I was just replying to the comment 'if it ain't broke' said:
So how will b teams help the national side, you have said (quite correctly) that it's not the clubs duty to make the national team better, so why would Chelsea blood young English players In the b team a head of a Spanish player and also why would they play a player that's played in the b team ahead of a player they have brought in? At the end of the day the first team is about results. Having b teams won't change that

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
What the heck is up with everyone, any idea that stipulates that a large proportion of the players have to be English can only be good for the future of English football.
Unless big clubs are enticed to invest in English grass roots football we may as we'll be resigned to the fact England will continue to decline as a force in the world game.

They can't do that though, there will still be the same amount of young foreign players in the teams.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Surprised there's only 24,500 signatures on it at the moment, I'd have thought this would have been posted on all club's main forum.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here