Petition - say no to 'B' teams league

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
At first hearing the plan b league doesn't sound like it is rescuing league football. It sounds like it is letting the big boys off the hook.

And would you rather we had a strong national squad at the expense of letting teams like Oldham, Tranmere, Scumthorpe and Rotherham go to the wall or resign themselves to never getting near the top flight?

Need to think it through some more.

Also, who was the fans representative on this steering group. I'm assuming there was one? Surely they would have included a representative from their customer base???

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Premier league clubs hoard young players,and then do not give them competitive matches ,i would restrict the numbers allowed. I would enhance the loan system,as has been put forward .I would curtail the signing of non EU players.I would have the PL2 which would be the stand alone B team league,no other league teams but with TV and sponsorship,and i would only have these B teams compete for the League cup,and not the main squad (happens now nearly ).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
And would you rather we had a strong national squad at the expense of letting teams like Oldham, Tranmere, Scumthorpe and Rotherham go to the wall or resign themselves to never getting near the top flight?
I wouldn't want to see any teams go to the wall, so I'd want to see enough spaces in the top 4 leagues to accommodate any B teams. But I see how it would hurt a small teams chance of getting to the top flight, since these B teams wouldn't be allowed in the top 2 divisions.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I wouldn't want to see any teams go to the wall, so I'd want to see enough spaces in the top 4 leagues to accommodate any B teams. But I see how it would hurt a small teams chance of getting to the top flight, since these B teams wouldn't be allowed in the top 2 divisions.

Chelsea probably spend more on their B team than Bury could ever dream of spending.

We'd also be giving Chelsea yet more TV exposure and more chance to mop up prize money.

Would it enhance gates for a Bury? I doubt it. It might give them a bit of TV money though.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Chelsea probably spend more on their B team than Bury could ever dream of spending.
But how would that hurt Bury's chance of reaching the top flight? Each year the same number of clubs will be in the Championship, competing for the same number of places in the top flight, and non of those clubs would be B sides.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
What do you see as a replacement then?...... anything?.... because 28% English players in the Prem is poor,.... half of that of home players in Germany.

The solution is that the PL are forced to field a minimum number of home grown talent.

Good luck getting the spineless FA to try that one though.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
We shouldnt have to kill lower-league football just so we can get to the next round at the World Cup and get knocked out as usual. The best way to develop young players is by giving them first team football. Look at Luke Shaw, Ross Barkley, Lallana, Wilshere etc - all given chances through the youth teams at their clubs - this needs to happen more.

Sticking B teams in a lower football league would devalue the competition and ruin one of the greatest league systems in the world. It works abroad as their lower-league systems arent as extensive and as competitive as ours. There is a reason why L1, L2 and Conference games are televised as games can be as exciting, if not more exciting, to watch than PL games at times. This plan would just take the competition out as it would just be a playground for the big clubs.

The Youth/Development side of football needs a big shake up with more investment needed. Lower league clubs need more involvment with the current U21 leagues and those leagues need more publicity. The biggest audience they get, the more noticed the young players could get.

The % of English players playing in the top flight has NOTHING to do with lower-league football. It is clubs not playing English players, simple as that. A minimum domestic player in a first team squad match rule is also needed, along with the one for the 25 man season squad.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
But how would that hurt Bury's chance of reaching the top flight? Each year the same number of clubs will be in the Championship, competing for the same number of places in the top flight, and non of those clubs would be B sides.

Because Chelsea's B team would be significantly stronger than Bury. Because you could either have no promotion to the championship or the side in 8th going up. Because small teams who took the 8 loans would be dictated to by their parent (possibly Chelsea or their main title rival). Because revenue from away fans would drop...

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

We're introducing a dozen or more new clubs to an already large league. I can't see how that is distributing the wealth. Unless the deal is the B teams must be non-profit and non-loss making. Or perhaps they can't collect gate receipts and TV money.

I don't know the answers, but it just doesn't feel fully baked yet.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Fluck me - even Scudamore has come out and said the the PL are AGAINST the proposal from the FA! The PL wants to address the issue but not at the expense of the football pyramid. Jesus, they must be worried about a huge backlash that might, just might, screw with their cash cow e.g Boycotts of sponsor products, Sky subscriptions anyone?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Because Chelsea's B team would be significantly stronger than Bury. Because you could either have no promotion to the championship or the side in 8th going up. Because small teams who took the 8 loans would be dictated to by their parent (possibly Chelsea or their main title rival). Because revenue from away fans would drop...
The side in 8th would go up. With the same number of clubs going up, and the B teams not featuring in that, I don't see how the chances of the average team would be affected.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
The solution is that the PL are forced to field a minimum number of home grown talent.

Good luck getting the spineless FA to try that one though.

I think the main obstacle to that will be European employment law.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Fluck me - even Scudamore has come out and said the the PL are AGAINST the proposal from the FA! The PL wants to address the issue but not at the expense of the football pyramid. Jesus, they must be worried about a huge backlash that might, just might, screw with their cash cow e.g Boycotts of sponsor products, Sky subscriptions anyone?

Changed my mind then. I'm for it! :)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If it ain't broke - don't fix it.

And the Football League has it's issues, but it ain't broke.
But our national side is broke. I'm not saying this is the way to fix it, but that's what they're trying to fix.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
The side in 8th would go up. With the same number of clubs going up, and the B teams not featuring in that, I don't see how the chances of the average team would be affected.

No they wouldnt. Greg Dyke confirmed this yesterday. Then when pressed what would happen just said it was unlikely as it never happens in Spain!!! Clueless ans indefensible.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
But our national side is broke. I'm not saying this is the way to fix it, but that's what they're trying to fix.

But by screwing over the Football League ? The Premier League could help sort things out by featuring young English players more and actually develop them more (IE Chelsea).

Its going to take more than this to sort out our national side, the style of play in this country being the main issue - its outdated.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK

Because the B team is not trying to win anything, the manager decides to pick the team purely for whats best for the parent club.

For example: If they had 2 games in 3 days they would never play their best players in both games and risk an injury.

And if the second game was against a team pushing for promotion, then it's unfair to the competitors.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports