Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Petition - say no to 'B' teams league

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Given the choice of ruining the football league and England being slightly better, most would take the league system.
I would hope so. Opinion here certainly seems to be that it would be bad for the league system. I'm only interested in learning in what ways it would be bad for the league, and if anything could be done to stop it being bad for the league.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I thought Greg Dyke lifelong Brentford fan would be good for the game, I cannot believe what is being proposed.

Shame on all those greedy Premier League managers who have given the idea their blessing....

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Done. Now this has not been mentioned at all,how does someone playing in a so called 'B' team for two/three seasons suddenly become good enough for the first team the gap is there to see.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
How do Germany do it then? They have a minimum homegrown ruling that doesn't break EU law. Why can't we do the same?

and we do it already too indirectly with the homegrown player rules. there's an exclusion for sport, but people seems to want to use EU law as an excuse for inaction.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
and we do it already too indirectly with the homegrown player rules. there's an exclusion for sport, but people seems to want to use EU law as an excuse for inaction.

Do we? I'm not being difficult, genuinely curious. What are the laws for homegrown talent?

I'd always thought we had no such laws.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Do we? I'm not being difficult, genuinely curious. What are the laws for homegrown talent?

no more than 17 non-homegrown players over 21 in the squad. they get around this as the "home grown" is bit ill defined and clubs get players in from abroad while young so they can qualify. for example, Fabregas counts as home grown because of number of years spent here in youth. one of the proposals is to reduce this to 12, so half the squad would have to be homegrown.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
no more than 17 non-homegrown players over 21 in the squad. they get around this as the "home grown" is bit ill defined and clubs get players in from abroad while young so they can qualify. for example, Fabregas counts as home grown because of number of years spent here in youth. one of the proposals is to reduce this to 12, so half the squad would have to be homegrown.

Thanks! It seems like the framework is there, or thereabouts, it just needs some definition and enforcement.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Ridiculous idea to involve 'B' teams in the lower leagues. The integrity and openness of the lower divisions is an important part of English football - not so long ago Southampton, Hull and Swansea were all there, now all are relative success stories. Wolves seem to be the latest team to rehabilitate themselves in League 1.

It just seems wrong for Wolves to be battling at the top with Man Utd 'B' rather than Sheff Utd, or for The East London derby to be Orient vs. West Ham 'B'. And there's no romance playing a 'B' side, just a sense that it's all a bit false and second rate.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
It just seems wrong for Wolves to be battling at the top with Man Utd 'B' rather than Sheff Utd

and the daftest part of it, there wouldnt be much of a battle because the "B" team wouldnt be allowed to be promoted. so its the team isnt really exposed to genuine compatition.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
8,000 pro coaches for kids compared to 40,000 in Germany is the issue they have laughably postponed decision on subject til the autumn
Affecting input into the 5th biggest league in the World, The Championship, is completely ludicrous
England, these days, qualify for all routines, back in 72 & 76 with 95%? 'Home grown' players playing on the top flight we failed to get to the Euros & 94 World Cup USA...How did that happen!?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I support restrictions completely, I just think we may find there are some Liberty type groups who will shout 'free movement' and 'human rights',... if we started to implement it. I dont know if/how other countries manage it,...interseted to know.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
It's vital to support this petition. Football is about local communities getting together to support their local club.

To suggest that a B Team league is the answer to England's problems is naive and disingenuous. I'd prefer not to have an England team at all, than to have this disgusting betrayal of any club that isn't 'big' enough. And I'm not alone in this, obviously. If the FA, or Greg Dyke, think that people will stick around when their local club is destroyed, or move on to support one of the big clubs, and I think he does think this, he, and they, are in for a rude awakening. The connection that we need to feel will be lost, and many will lose interest in the game altogether.

England are shit because the development of talent at a much younger age is shit - antiquated methods, a refusal to change, too much competition. A change like this will do nothing positive, but the negative repercussions could be enormous.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here