Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Pep - ‘Brighton are like a Michelin starred restaurant’

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Random fact I found out the other day - the Michelin star thing is by the same Michelin who do tyres and gave us the Michelin man. There ya go.

Didn't they start it to encourage people to drive to restaurants (and so, use tyres)?
My understanding was that Michelin took it upon themselves to rate the food at the truck stops on behalf of the French truck drivers.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
My understanding was that Michelin took it upon themselves to rate the food at the truck stops on behalf of the French truck drivers.
It's rather older than truck stops or truck drivers.
From wikipedia:
"In 1900, there were fewer than 3,000 cars on the roads of France. To increase the demand for cars and, accordingly, car tyres, car tyre manufacturers and brothers Édouard and André Michelin published a guide for French motorists, the Michelin Guide."
And then, in the 20s:
"Recognizing the growing popularity of the restaurant section of the guide, the brothers recruited a team of inspectors to visit and review restaurants, who were always anonymous."

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I feel like I've used the word 'surreal' a lot in the last few days when talking about the Albion, and this is just another example.

One of the most successful managers of all time talking about OUR manager like that, and it being realistic and utterly deserved praise for a job so well done.

Surreal.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I feel like I've used the word 'surreal' a lot in the last few days when talking about the Albion, and this is just another example.

One of the most successful managers of all time talking about OUR manager like that, and it being realistic and utterly deserved praise for a job so well done.

Surreal.
Tis mad.

Seems like only 5 minutes ago our managers were leaving us to become Leicester and Reading managers and even Nottingham Forest assistant manager and it genuinely is only 14 years ago we were getting excited on here about appointing a Stockport manager and praising him as he wouldn’t talk to Sky cos they wouldn’t fix his dish!

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Aren't we ment to be staying under the radar?
Leeds - Harry Ramsdens - Spent years pretending to be the best at something quite basic that many others do much better;
Palace - Dominos - 'Hello, I ordered a new stadium 12 years ago' - 'Yes mate, It's on it's way now.'
Leicester - Wimpy - Hard to believe that this over-priced crap was once the brand leader in it's range;
Newcastle - Jamie Oliver's - Success doesn't alter how annoying your manager is.
Man Utd - McDonalds - Fans in every place in the World, all of them wrong.
Everton - Angus Steak House - hard to believe it can be so bad given how expensive it is

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
.............. I was just a bit cringy at the effusiveness of it.
The problem lies in the way we use adjectives and adverbs they have lost their meaning, its not enough to say someone played well, instead they were magnificent, food that doesn't taste nice is disgusting. So it is when praising the style of play RDZ has brought to Brighton, its not just new and a change its revolutionary.

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
Tis mad.

Seems like only 5 minutes ago our managers were leaving us to become Leicester and Reading managers and even Nottingham Forest assistant manager and it genuinely is only 14 years ago we were getting excited on here about appointing a Stockport manager and praising him as he wouldn’t talk to Sky cos they wouldn’t fix his dish!
and Hull 🙄

greachain

Mar 19, 2023
Pep Guardiola has compared Brighton to football as restaurant El Bulli was to food (it was a renowned Michelin starred restaurant and regarded as the best restaurant in the world).

“They are the best in the world at this”

Surely it doesn’t get better than this? Other than beating Man City tonight of course. 😁

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
I take manager comments like this with a pinch of salt; if they beat us, they've beaten one of the best in the world, if we beat them Pep can stand behind his comment that he's lost to a fantastic team. The reality is as we all know, that on our day we can be fantastic, but we are a long way-off being able to win 12 in a row in the Premier League.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I take manager comments like this with a pinch of salt; if they beat us, they've beaten one of the best in the world, if we beat them Pep can stand behind his comment that he's lost to a fantastic team. The reality is as we all know, that on our day we can be fantastic, but we are a long way-off being able to win 12 in a row in the Premier League.
Agreed . Brighton aren't Man City !!

But as for his praise. Its not just any manager. Its Pep - the most influential and successful manager in English football in the last 10 years so thats why plenty have paid attention. .
Has he said this about any other coach ?
Of course Pep works with a squad of elite players - RDZ doesn't have that luxury or depth and of course all coaches tend to over praise each other - especially in pre-match press conferences - but Pep has a track record of talking about RDZ in this way and following him as a coach pre Albion - they once played for the same club after all. I think its more than just the usual over sharing of compliments.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
RDZ said in an interview that pep helped him settle into the premiership, I think they have a genuine respect for each other.

This is how grown ups should be, sure you are in competition with each other but that doesn’t mean you can’t get along and be nice.

The fact that this is unusual is the stupid bit, this should be the norm!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here