NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Bet he's not so gushing after we've smashed them 5-0 tomorrow

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I love Pep. He's the greatest manager of the modern football era and for me personally, the best ever. He is an absolute football genius but at the same time he is utterly bonkers!

I think he sees the whole world through a football pitch and struggles to understand anything outside of it including how to communicate at times. He is a mad genius.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I love Pep. He's the greatest manager of the modern football era and for me personally, the best ever. He is an absolute football genius but at the same time he is utterly bonkers!

I think he sees the whole world through a football pitch and struggles to understand anything outside of it including how to communicate at times. He is a mad genius.
De Zerbi may be better, give him the players City have and I'll pretty well guarantee he would have the won the CL by now :shrug:

Pep keeps f***ing it up :lolol:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Pep is right, De Zerbi introduced his style to Sassuolo and helped to change how football is played in Italy, it’s no longer the defensive game we associate with the Italians. You can see teams trying to copy our patterns of play over here now, granted usually comically badly, but he is having an influence. It’s amazing really, I hope he’s here for a long time and keeps ahead of the opposition tactically.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
He’s always very complimentary of teams he tends to bend over, in fact he’s nearly always complementary, makes it hard for teams to get riled up against City because they appear as ‘Mr Nice guy’

Nice to hear, but If I see Haaland and de Bruyne in that starting line up he can go f**k himself.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

He's not yet transformed a team who haven't already been winning. Frank RiJkaard won consecutive La Liga's and a Champions League after 7 years without a trophy for Barca before Pep took over, and it was him who bought young players like Iniesta, Messi and Valdes into the team. Pep took over a winning side. Likewise Jupp Heynckes won the league and CL before Pep took over - another winning machine. Pellegrini and Mancini won the PL before Pep took over. Great manager to sustain success, but he's never had the challenge of creating success from very little.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
He's not yet transformed a team who haven't already been winning. Frank RiJkaard won consecutive La Liga's and a Champions League after 7 years without a trophy for Barca before Pep took over, and it was him who bought young players like Iniesta, Messi and Valdes into the team. Pep took over a winning side. Likewise Jupp Heynckes won the league and CL before Pep took over - another winning machine. Pellegrini and Mancini won the PL before Pep took over. Great manager to sustain success, but he's never had the challenge of creating success from very little.
I know all that but no other manager has influenced the modern game like he has in the last 30 years and Barca were actually a bit of a mess when he took over. No one thought the likes of Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets would be anywhere near as good as he made them when they were coming through either. Messi was clearly a special talent but Pep elevated him beyond what anyone thought he could be. That Barca team were the greatest ever. Their influence extended to a division three club in England called Brighton and Hove Albion and many, many more clubs worldwide. His Barca, Bayern and City teams play the best football I've ever seen and to stay at the top as he has done over such a long period of time in three different leagues is pretty remarkable and never been done before. Only Michels, Cruyff and Sachi compare for overall achievement in my eyes.

I'm not expecting everyone to agree with me but I'm a massive Pep fanboy, no one will convince me otherwise! :lolol:

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Apparently after our game earlier in the season Pep went into our dressing room and spoke to our team saying something like if he was a player he’d fall into a fire for Roberto

I think they are friends as there are photos of them out for dinner
They are friendly acquaintances for sure. RDZ visited City a while ago (2 years 🤔), to see how they train and to discuss footie tactics with Pep.

Midget

Concourse Kabe. *Posts may be affected by alcohol.
Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
Yes it's mind games but that aside, I think he's very like RDZ, a football-obsessed perfectionist. No, he hasn't done it without a tiny budget and a good base to start from, but I suspect he could.

I heard they were friends before this year (maybe as Pep had a couple of spells at Brescia?), and didn't RDZ spend some time getting some mentoring from him at one point? Either way I don't know that De Zerbi would be the manager he is in the style he is if Guardiola hadn't come along first.

I also heard that RDZ asked him about the Brighton job, and Pep bigged Brighton up to him and advised him to take it. For that alone, I can forgive anything.

(When RDZ does one day move on, I could see City being the best fit. Wonder if there is some succession planning going on there?)

But thank you Pep if you played any part in influencing Roberto to come here.

Now if you could please just put out your third eleven tomorrow and I'll like you even more...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here