Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Barber responds on Albion managerial situation

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
From the rational point of view, there's nothing really wrong with Barber's statement. What else can he say?

Quite. He can certainly say nothing. At enormous length. That's kind-of the point.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I'm pretty sure that Gus and Oscar left for different reasons. Poyet had been allowed to bring his own players in. That whole team was his except for a few youth team products. He may have left because of the budget but he had a massive impact on who we signed with the money available.

Oscar is more interesting. His side of the story is that he gave the club a list of players and they didn't sign any of them. Other people on here have said that he didn't want to be involved in player recruitment from what they've heard. As has been said elsewhere, the truth is somewhere in the middle probably.

The irony is, there are quite a few people who were slagging off Oscar before and during the play offs saying he should be sacked who are now slagging off the club for what's happened. Which makes me think they just like moaning!

On the balance of probabilities I'd say it is far more likely Oscar's version is closer on that one. The 'he doesn't want to be involved' repeated by a few goons on here and very much undermined by the Argus piece apart from always being unlikely, sounds a lot like club spin to deflect possible blame. That and the fact the club have had ample opportunity to correct it today and haven't. It's not like there is any legal stuff to hide behind, as there was with Poyet.

I'm sure there are plenty of reasons why Tony has invested in the Albion but I doubt any of them have anything to do with prestige, recognition or business. He's just a fan.

He most certainly is not; this is self-evident to supporters who come across him en-route to games and choose to engage on a less superficial level? I'd have thought he's probably one of the most accessible football club chairman.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
On the balance of probabilities I'd say it is far more likely Oscar's version is closer on that one. The 'he doesn't want to be involved' repeated by a few goons on here and very much undermined by the Argus piece apart from always being unlikely, sounds a lot like club spin to deflect possible blame. That and the fact the club have had ample opportunity to correct it today and haven't. It's not like there is any legal stuff to hide behind, as there was with Poyet.

And Oscar isn't spinning his side of the story? No, obviously the club must be completely wrong and terrible and there can't be two sides to every story.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
He most certainly is not; this is self-evident to supporters who come across him en-route to games and choose to engage on a less superficial level? I'd have thought he's probably one of the most accessible football club chairman.

I think Notters is saying the same thing. Unless I've completely misread it. Think you've put too much on the word "just".

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The sheep: "We don't need to be told anything"

Barber statement: "You don't need to be told anything"

Sheep: "There, we said so. He said we don't need to be told anything. We are happy like a room without a roof"

:wozza::wozza:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

Sheep: "There, we said so. He said we don't need to be told anything. We are happy like a room without a roof"

You really are becoming like Husty. It is so boring. Maybe the club should check with you before making every decision to make sure it has your seal of approval!

Just because people don't slag off the club, they are like sheep. It's pathetic.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
You really are becoming like Husty. It is so boring. Maybe the club should check with you before making every decision to make sure it has your seal of approval!

Just because people don't slag off the club, they are like sheep. It's pathetic.

Isn't it grazing time?

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011

The deluded; "I expect to be told everything"

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
It's a shame that one's who moan always shout the loudest. I'm sure that will have me down as someone who worships the club but what exactly are the club supposed to do? If they issued a statement with everything that happened, they'd be accused by people like you of lacking class. I genuinely wonder why you (and you're not alone) bother supporting the club. You obviously don't trust a word the club say!

Twaddle.

What on earth does trusting the CEO of the club have to do with supporting the club? I cheer on the lads on the pitch that doesn't mean I am under an obligation to believe and take delight in anything that comes out of Barber's mouth.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The deluded; "I expect to be told everything"

We have actually lost two decent coaches in the last 12 months. Were you aware of this? Possibly not. Maybe you don't care whether anything can be done to stop it happening again and what might be at the root of it all, but some of us do. You be happy in your ignorance. I'll tell you when the next one leaves.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Twaddle.

What on earth does trusting the CEO of the club have to do with supporting the club? I cheer on the lads on the pitch that doesn't mean I am under an obligation to believe and take delight in anything that comes out of Barber's mouth.

But it's not what Barber says, is it? He doesn't just release a statement he's made up! It's the club's official line (from Bloom down) so it is supporting the club.

And my annoyance isn't so much your opinion as you take over every thread with your moaning. For example, even in the JFC/March calls up thread you're being negative. What's the point?

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
We have actually lost two decent coaches in the last 12 months. Were you aware of this? Possibly not. Maybe you don't care whether anything can be done to stop it happening again and what might be at the root of it all, but some of us do. You be happy in your ignorance. I'll tell you when the next one leaves.

Ffs..we didn't lose Gus. We sacked him for gross misconduct.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Ffs..we didn't lose Gus. We sacked him for gross misconduct.

What part of "we have hit the ceiling" and "I've told the players I might not be manager for much longer" don't you understand??

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011

No, I did know before you just said!

I do care. But you and me knowing the full details the day after it’s happened and when you’re trying to put together a succession plan wouldn’t be a top of the pops priority.

You’re lucky to get any kind of statement at all pal.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Surely that's evidence that he's just a fan?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

One decent coach. You ask the players about the other - he hardly spoke to them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here